• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Solicitations (Crunchyroll Solicitations: June 2022 & beyond)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
Funimation's use of Kickstarter as a poll where people have to pay them to take part in is a little disgusting. The fact they come out and say that this isn't necessary for direct funding right from the start is even more disgusting and the idea that only the collector's edition will have the original show on DVD while the standard DVD-BD combo would only have the new "non HD" complete version on DVD-

Look, even if you think DVD think is where the money is with this show, shouldn't that be the other way? Or rather, since the people who fund anime kickstarters are the ones who have the BD collections from, let's say, the more esteemed companies then shouldn't the original cut show just be on DVD across the board and the subject of this ill thought out campaign be on the HD BD side?

"If you want the original show you remember, you have to go premium.", that's a warning sign to me. I'd contribute my two cents if they had a "Get a clue, Funimation!" option.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I also want to own Sacred Sven and probably some other stuff I've forgotten about since it's been ages since I read which titles were rescued.

I assume you are referring to the first Eureka Seven show. Funimation released it on BD in 2014.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I also want to own Sacred Sven and probably some other stuff I've forgotten about since it's been ages since I read which titles were rescued.

I assume you are referring to the first Eureka Seven show. Funimation released it on BD in 2014.
I know Sacred Seven wasn't that great but you don't need to erase its existence completely. :p
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
And here I was hoping Sacred Sven was a show about a Swedish immigrant becoming a Shinto priest and creating a temple to surströmming
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I also want to own Sacred Seven and probably some other stuff I've forgotten about since it's been ages since I read which titles were rescued.

I know Sacred Seven wasn't that great but you don't need to erase its existence completely. :p

Indeed, I seem to remember it even being one of the first simulcasts too, or at least one of first that I watched.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
And here I was hoping Sacred Sven was a show about a Swedish immigrant becoming a Shinto priest and creating a temple to surströmming

Well, better that than lutefisk I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Well, better that than lutefisk I suppose.

Sequel series, Saint Sveltlana
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Funimation's use of Kickstarter as a poll where people have to pay them to take part in is a little disgusting. The fact they come out and say that this isn't necessary for direct funding right from the start is even more disgusting and the idea that only the collector's edition will have the original show on DVD while the standard DVD-BD combo would only have the new "non HD" complete version on DVD-

"If you want the original show you remember, you have to go premium.", that's a warning sign to me. I'd contribute my two cents if they had a "Get a clue, Funimation!" option.
If there were that huge of a groundswell of demand for the old dub, then the Kickstarter probably wouldn't have been so successful so quickly. Are there really that many people so opposed to a newer dub and additional scenes? People who fondly remember Escaflowne could be doing so via the Japanese/subtitled version, and thus wouldn't be affected by the inclusion or exclusion of a particular English dub. As for people who fondly remember the Ocean Group dub to that extent, I'd think/hope that a good majority of them bought the Bandai DVDs back in 2002 or whenever, and thus wouldn't feel forced to pick up Funi's premium edition.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
As for people who fondly remember the Ocean Group dub to that extent, I'd think/hope that a good majority of them bought the Bandai DVDs back in 2002 or whenever, and thus wouldn't feel forced to pick up Funi's premium edition.

In addition, when the new version comes out there will likely be a glut of the old Bandai DVDs on the secondary market as people who have the older set but are not nostalgic of the dub dump them.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
If I had money to burn I might be tempted to go for the ultimate collection but I don't, for various reasons (buying a new car among other things). I already have the "Super Legends" release (two bricks combined in one cardboard sleeve) and, while I did like the show, I remember it being a bit of a slog. Having already dropped $180 on the Fullmetal Alchemist Collectors Edition even though I already own it on DVD, I feel like I need to call a halt to double-dipping. I'm also wondering, given FUNimation's recent penchant for delays, how reliable the release dates are here. This is more of an issue when they get my money months before I get the merchandise (years in the case of Mai Mai Miracle).
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
via Funimation Shop & TRSI:

Fairy Tail Part 20 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 325 minutes - $54.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128938
Quote:
Eps 227-239.

Special Features: Guild Pride: Fairy Tail, Episode Commentaries, Textless Opening, Textless Closing, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Gonna be the Twin-Tail!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128939
Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, Textless Opening, Textless Closing Songs, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

One Piece: Collection 16 - 600 minutes - $34.98 - 6/28/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128948
Quote:
Eps 373-396

Special Features: Episode Commentaries, In the Galley with the Straw Hats, Villains and Fishmen: A Peek Behind the Curtain, Textless Songs, Trailers

PSYCHO-PASS: The Movie (DVD) - 113 minutes - $29.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128942
Quote:
Special Features: Commentary, Japanese Trailer, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

PSYCHO-PASS: The Movie (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 113 minutes - $34.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128941
Quote:
Includes Digital HD Ultraviolet (subject to expiration and only redeemable in U.S.)

Special Features: Commentary, Japanese Trailer, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

selector spread WIXOSS: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 6/28/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128949
Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, Promotional Videos & TV Spots, Textless Opening Song - ''world's end, girl's rondo'', Textless Closing Song - ''Undo -Asu e no Kioku-'', U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Shonen Hollywood -Holly Stage for 49-: Complete Collection (DVD) - 325 minutes - $44.98 - 6/7/16 [sub only]
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128943

The Boy and the Beast (DVD) - 119 minutes - $29.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=129039
Quote:
Special Features: Original Teaser, Japanese Trailers, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

The Boy and the Beast (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 119 minutes - $34.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=129038
Quote:
Includes Digital HD Ultraviolet (subject to expiration and only redeemable in U.S.)

Special Features: Original Teaser, Japanese Trailers, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 99 minutes - $34.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=129041
Quote:

Special Features: Feature Commentary, Features with Storyboard, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Blu-ray / DVD Combo CE) - 99 minutes - $49.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=129040
Quote:
Includes Digital HD Ultraviolet (subject to expiration and only redeemable in U.S.

Special Features: Premiere Screening Event, Direction File ''a talk with the director'', Behind the Scenes at Premiere Screening Event, Hanako Oku ''Garnet'' Music Video, Theatrical Trailer, Promo Clip

The first release of the Hosoda Collection, a premier line that celebrates Mamoru Hosoda’s films and considers how each one has affected the trajectory of his award-winning career. This Hosoda Collection release includes deluxe packaging with a gorgeous premium clear sleeve, plus an exclusive 52 page book full of behind-the-scenes content about the film, including making-of spotlights, interviews, a message from Director Mamoru Hosoda, and artwork.

Yona of the Dawn, Part 1 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 6/7/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128944
Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, Promotional Videos & TV Spots, Textless Opening - ”Akatsukino Yona'', Textless Closing Song - ''Yoru'', U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Yurikuma Arashi: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 6/28/16
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=128950
Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, Textless Opening Song - ''Ano Mori de Matteru'', Textless Closing Song - ''TERRITORY'', Promotional Videos & TV Spots, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Last edited by WTK on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
A very strong June slate. It is good to see Yona of the Dawn finally resurface; a bit surprising Funimation is not doing an LE of it. I will try to preorder the regular edition of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and I should get Yuri Kuma Arashi and the Psycho-Pass movie down the road.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Holy moly, a good number of nice snags. Eyeing Shonen Hollywood, Boy and the Beast, Yurikuma Arashi and Yona of the Dawn.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/03/17/the-boy-and-the-beast-and-the-girl-who-leapt-through-time-pre-order-announcement
Quote:
In celebrating the 10th anniversary of the film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time – The Hosoda Collection edition features an exclusve 52-page book with artwork, sketches, and a full-length interview of director Mamoru Hosoda plus producers Takashi Watanabe and Yuichiro Saito. Ever wanted to know how the film was concepted, what bits were added or cut, or how the film’s visual style was determined? This book is your behind-the-scenes look into the creative process involved in making a full-length anime film, as well as to peek into mind of a world-famous director. In addition to the book, this edition features a handsome clear slipcover with a premium design.

This release of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is the first in our new Hosoda Collection, a premier line dedicated to the works of Mamoru Hosoda, celebrating his films and revealing how each one has affected the trajectory of his award-winning career. Featuring everything from stunning extras to exclusive interviews with the director himself, the Hosoda Collection brings fans of animation and film the rare opportunity to follow a director’s career as it unfolds before them. Future releases in The Hosoda Collection will include Summer Wars, Wolf Children, and The Boy and the Beast.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
I was excited to see that Yona of the Dawn was on the list, but I'm disappointed it's not getting an LE. I think I may just wait the extra year and just get the complete series box set instead of half sets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 47