• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo's Riding Bean Kickstarter Funded in 50 Minutes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
This is good news for us 35 and over crowd. Let ink and paint reign as long as it can.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Congragulations! This got funded in 50 minutes but Skip Beat! Is still struggling to get off the ground? Yeah, it's sad to say, but Pied Piper overestemated the American fanbase. It is going to be a shame, but not surprising, when the Skip Beat campaing fails.

It does look like it's had a weak start, which usually doesn't bode well. I wonder how many people (like myself) are holding off because it's on IndieGogo and they decided to use flexible funding. I like the manga and would also like to own the anime release, but I don't want to risk my "preorder" turning into a nonrefundable "donation".

Animegomaniac wrote:
... so a third of the thirty thousand was from four people... maybe... and had nothing to do with Riding Bean and more to do with getting original new personalized art from Sonoda? If this was funded in fifty minutes, was this part gone in 60 seconds?

This is where all this could be heading, a place where those with the most money to burn get to choose what gets done. Nice, very democratic I suppose.

But why did they need 30,000 again? I get "It's a release of an OVA on BD!" part but couldn't they just do a preorder system with such a small amount? Also, it looks like they could make more money just selling the Sonoda art. I think AnimEigo- inspiration for my user name- are getting a little lost these days; It's like trading in gold in the hope you can trade in copper one day.

And if they have Sonoda locked up in a basement somewhere, they need to let the poor guy out every once in awhile.

Except now the Kickstarter is almost at $70k, so that 1/3 is more like 1/7th now, which means if you took the people with money to burn out of the equation, the project would still have been successful, and with the current momentum it looks like they're going to be even more successful moving forward.

And they're basically using Kickstarter like a preorder system, I think something Robert Woodhead has mentioned in the past that they had sort of done before Kickstarter was even a thing (they did preorder drives I think for their Macross and Yawara! releases). Except here, it's a preorder system where you can choose from lots of nifty bonus items you wouldn't normally be able to get from a traditional release, with different pricing tiers. Not sure there's anything to complain about there, esp. if it leads them to do a release of Urusei Yatsura, the YUA first season, or a complete Yawara! collection.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
I wonder if Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko TV could be crowd-funded for an R1 DVD release. AFAIK the OVA series sold so poorly TRSI didn't bother with the TV series, other than using the TV series artbook cover art for the OVA series' priced-down re-release.

(Just completed my set of all three "Action" soundtrack CDs. And got Akio Watanabe's artbook.)

As the only person who actually finished fansubbing the TV series (and poorly, I might add! That translation was one my earliest one my own and it's crap I'm afraid), I do wish someone would throw money away on it to license it... It has its down moments but it has an amazing climax.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
The American Average wrote:
I wish Gunsmith cats would get attention. Confused

Second that! However, last I knew it was a very old ADV title (last issued 2004), and it wouldn't surprise me if it was in licensing hell at the moment.

I can see Discotek getting it,they have rescued old ADV releases before.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
From the main article:
Quote:
AnimEigo released Riding Bean in 2002 on a dual-audio DVD, marking the company's first anime release along with MADOX-01.

While technically correct in part this statement is a bit misleading. It was the January 1991 VHS release (not the 2002 DVD) that made Riding Bean the second title issued by AnimEigo. It was not issued along with MADOX-01 which was issued on VHS in April 1990. (the dates are from the Encyclopedia here).
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
I really don't get why so fast ... apparently people really wanna be part of this ... this has at least been available for ages and still is ... can't say that about Tezuka's wonder 3 manga dammit if only that would have made it instead ...
I was just looking at the rewards for this i kind don't even care for the product itself as i just have the dvd ...
Well i might still pledge for some extra stuff but no way i was expecting this to hit so huge ... i thought the movie was alright but nothing amazing also it's pretty short ...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
This is kinda strange, I mean Riding Bean is good and all, but it's not "funded in 50 minutes" good. Well I already own the DVD release so I didn't participate in this.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
It's great for the two of you that have the DVD, but I've seen what that looks like, and I've seen what the remaster DVD and what the BD are look like, and it's a world of difference.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's great for the two of you that have the DVD, but I've seen what that looks like, and I've seen what the remaster DVD and what the BD are look like, and it's a world of difference.

Yeah,am not so hung up on this with modern shows as much,but the difference in quality between DVD and BD for old hand-drawn shows like this is night and day.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The reason why this was funded so easily is because people like myself are big Sonoda fans and will shell out money for him even if he isn't as well known and some might say a old timer.

From looking at the pledge list 560 people who just wanted the show and not a lot of fancy extras covered just under $23,000.00 of the 30K goal.

Over 6K was for 1 of 3 original sketches by the original artist so of course those went fast for a super detailed sketch. Try to get one from a American Comic artist and at that price it's impossible.

I might just buy the Blu-Ray by itself for $30.00 dollars shipped.

What I really would like is for Animeigo to license and remaster to Blu-Ray Gunsmith Cats I would pledge in the thousands to help that one get made and for some original sketches. That show has much more appeal and the content resonates with non-Anime fans in scores.

But alas that one is probably in some sort of licensing hell with formerly ADV now Sentai and god knows who.

Last edited by Dfens on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Why did I throw money at this, despite already having the 7 dollar DVD?

A) Support AnimEigo. They're a tiny anime company, one of the oldest still around. I have no issue throwing them money if it helps keeps the lights on.

B) Riding Bean is a pretty awesome OVA, and I'd love to get a sexed up version.

C) Send a message to other studios that "Hey, old anime has value in this modern world!"
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
And here's another vote for Gunsmith Cats, faint chance or not.

Bean - neat show, but that's a lot of money for 46 minutes. I heard the review on Anime World Order, and hunted it up on youtube, and while I liked it ok, I'm afraid it's not gonna get my bucks this time.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
This is good news for us 35 and over crowd. Let ink and paint reign as long as it can.

BLOOD FOR THE HAND-PAINTED CELL GOD! BLOOD FOR THE HAND-PAINTED CELL GOD!

TonyTonyChopper wrote:
I really don't get why so fast

It's totally bitchin'. Most of what I'd read before I watched it were folks just going "Meh, it's okay." When I watched it, my mind was blown. Some of the best 46 minutes of animation you can pass the time with. Toss in an HD remaster and some of these nifty bonuses, and you got my money. Err, well, they got my money, at least.

Quote:
can't say that about Tezuka's wonder 3 manga dammit if only that would have made it instead ...

Me and several other people would have likely donated to get it funded, but DMP took waaaaaaay too long with getting the stuff from their Alabaster and Clockwork Orange campaigns out. If they wanna try it again, they can feel free to, but, at this point, I think it's been proven that there's an English-speaking market that's willing to eat up damn near anything the man made.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
C) Send a message to other studios that "Hey, old anime has value in this modern world!"

While the first two points were fine, this last point doesn't exactly need to be stated. Aside from AnimEigo, the king of releasing "old anime" right now is Discotek Media, and there is the occasional older anime being released by Sentai Filmworks, with FUNimation doing the rare re-release, too.

Right now, the companies know that "old anime has value" in this current state of the industry.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Those rewards and stretch goals look way better than the Escaflowne ones. The Escaflowne ones are mostly little goodies and on-disc extras, but this has a bunch of merchandise created specifically forthis campaign. I think that's a good way to get people on board.

Animegomaniac wrote:
... so a third of the thirty thousand was from four people... maybe... and had nothing to do with Riding Bean and more to do with getting original new personalized art from Sonoda? If this was funded in fifty minutes, was this part gone in 60 seconds?

This is where all this could be heading, a place where those with the most money to burn get to choose what gets done. Nice, very democratic I suppose.

That's how it is with any project that needs funding: You answer to the people giving you money. That being said, the core product for this campaign is not going to change simply because there were four major backers. Likely, they just wanted the artwork.

It is pretty neat AnimEigo was able to get ahold of stuff like that though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3