• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New How to Draw Panties Manga Drawing Book Teaches Exactly That

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

Judging from some of the thigh gaps in the pictures in this article I wouldn't get my hopes up too much if you're hoping for something to teach people more realistic ways of drawing boobs rather than the usual anime/manga fair.

Thigh gaps are real! Wink

leafy sea dragon wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

I can't stress how essential life drawing is when I talk to fellow artists at my college.

I would've liked to take life drawing classes if my university didn't lock them to art majors only. (Even introductory classes were locked to art majors only.

Should've done like us and just took the nude drawing class that day. Laughing
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I doubt that student of animation and comic would take this book seriously. I mean there are tons of photographs of women in underwear which they can use them as reference.

I was under the impression American art schools look down upon anime in general. I always hear people getting criticized for drawing anime like and teachers generally try to steer them towards the CalArts style. Personally I think a lot of people in the industry could read this book and learn from it if they want to make their characters look sexy in underwear.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
reanimator wrote:
I doubt that student of animation and comic would take this book seriously. I mean there are tons of photographs of women in underwear which they can use them as reference.

I was under the impression American art schools look down upon anime in general. I always hear people getting criticized for drawing anime like and teachers generally try to steer them towards the CalArts style. Personally I think a lot of people in the industry could read this book and learn from it if they want to make their characters look sexy in underwear.

I think it's because amateur artists tend to pigeonhole themselves into anime style too easily. Professional character designers need to be versatile. There are multiple ways to make a character look sexy in underwear, no matter how crude the style.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
What we really need are more books on how to draw feet and socks.

This isn't a fetish thing... drawing feet accurately is hard.

Most drawings I see usually make them seem like the character has a medical condition or a problem with their bones. Some are just WTF?

Hands are hard too, but most competent artists seem to have got them down pretty well, which is good considering they're a common part of the body seen second to the face and can be just as expressive.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Hands are also something that art instructors will spend a long time on to make sure everyone gets them right. You'll see exposed hands in art way more than exposed feet, and unlike feet, hands are a major part of body language.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Most drawings I see usually make them seem like the character has a medical condition or a problem with their bones. Some are just WTF?

Hands are hard too, but most competent artists seem to have got them down pretty well, which is good considering they're a common part of the body seen second to the face and can be just as expressive.

I know right? I've seen my share of poorly animated feet, though I've seen some unusually detailed ones as well, compared to the usual effort for them. One recent one is one scene near the end of Seraph of the End with Asuramaru, who is always depicted barefoot but only one scene detailed them very well to the point where I thought the animator responsible either had a dedication to realism or an...unusual interest in feet. I've seen some where the feet are drawn as if the toes are all the same length and jut perpendicularly from the foot like paws or something and others where the sole is completely flat and smooth.

I think hands are helped by the fact that you can see your own fairly easily, not to mention other people's. And yes they are not as frequently exposed, leading to less of a focus on them in education.

From what I've seen, doujinshi and fan artists are better at depicting feet than animators, and not just the let's say foot concerned ones.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Like the DOAX3 pole-dancing Laughing
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

They do, actually. I have three How to Draw Feet (and Hands) books. They often come with a bunch of reference images for practice and gesture drawing, too. Quite useful for me and are the reason I'm better at it now. Same with hands.

I can't imagine what a book on How to Draw Vaginas would look like...
"How to Draw Mosaics".
Seriously, though, it'll be nice someday if they stop treating the vagina as something lewd or obscene. :/
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
I have no words for this. Absolutely none. I just can't believe someone took the time to do a book like this and have someone publish it. I'm in complete disbelief. This is just too bizarre for words in any language.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh gawd, I'm dying here. It's been years since I've seen a new "How to draw (whatever in manga properly) book.

So there's a guideline for that?

I guess drawing men's tidy whitey's in all possible angles is not as exciting. I mean who wants to draw sexy "ball sacks"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2