• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are Japanese Student Councils REALLY Like?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
But Utena and Kill La Kill have SOOOOO many similarities, it's scary, especially with how they depict student councils.

Just my opinion but I'm pretty sure the Kill La Kill one was inspired by Utena. There a few parallels between the shows.

I do agree out of all the shows I've watch Live Live's seems more realistic than most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how "realistic" it was, but I thought Hyouka's school festival was probably the best i've seen out of any anime.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When I was in school, the student council never seemed to come up all that much. Sure, we had elections (which were little more than popularity contests) that were kind of a big deal, but after that they were pretty easy to ignore. All they seemed to do was contribute to the morning announcements, and occasionally put on an event that I never went to. Like prom, for example. But then again I spent most of high school hating everyone and getting the hell out of there as fast as I possibly could, so I'm probably not the best person to judge.

As someone who was class president my junior year of high school, I can tell you that you're spot-on; the student council stuff never came up much for me, either. Hell, even though I was technically in charge of prom I didn't even go; I just delegated all the prom stuff to a committee I made. I had video games to play that night with my buddies. There were other events my classmates mentioned wanting to do, but no one ever came to me about them. As such, I made the teacher-approved decision of not doing anything. All I mostly did was read announcements. Us class president types aren't too different from you, Justin.
Gehirn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Don't try to cover this up. We all know smashing the world's shell is what Japanese student councils try to do.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
So, if this is what Student Councils are really like in Japan...what about Underground Student Councils? Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I figured the student council in SNAFU was probably supposed to be pretty realistic, especially where they had to try to coordinate with another school's student council. Hmm... and what little we saw of the student council in K-On seemed reasonably realistic, too.

I think slice of life and drama anime are good representatives of many aspects of school life, like student government, clubs, trips, organization.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know some American schools have student councils. Then again, I feel like I said that before and that this question has been asked before.

I'm astonished that kids in Japan are organized and dedicated enough to even have such a thing in the first place. Obviously, none of my schools ever had student councils, but I always imagined kids to be thoroughly anti-establishment and trolls to the bone, and it'd take a much more idyllic childhood than mine to be able to imagine a student council. At all of my schools, the word "schoolboy/schoolgirl" is a derogatory term used to refer to someone with a lot of school spirit or gains the favor of adults. It's the cool thing to tick them off as much as possible.

Though my high school didn't have a student council, it DID have something similar in which a group would try to organize events for either the school or certain parts of the school under the guidance of one of the math teachers. They did not make any announcements though, and everything had to go through the math teacher for approval. Emphasis on "try": Anyone who joined this group was seen as a goody-goody suck-up to the teachers and was socially outcast from everyone else. Some were picked on. Any events they actually created had low attendance or was vulnerable to vandals (at least until they got the authority to bring in patrol officers). In other words, the kids in this group were considered at the very bottom of the social ladder. Even the geeks and nerds shunned them. They couldn't even eat lunch in the cafeteria.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I always found it interesting that a lot of Japanese schools create more of a sense of "school pride" or collective "ownership" of the school by having the students clean it in place of--or at least alongside-- a custodian.

That requires some level of dedication and pride in the job, as well as a sense of responsibility, in order to even get started in the first place. It's difficult for me to wrap my mind around such an attitude in kids, especially before high school. Who would WANT to clean the place up after everybody else?
se37

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
I remember back in High School we had Student Government (which is what they called it) but all I ever saw them do was homecoming, spirit week and morning announcements. Prom wasn't done by them I remember. The ones who ran were people who were interested in government stuff, teacher's pets or A+ students. In fact I remember that even the most popular kids never even bothered with them. One of my friends got elected treasure (due to nobody wanting the job) and she didn't even run again since it felt like the teachers just told them what to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Not only did my school have a Council, we had a hierarchical system of Prefects and Observators...

First, we had the Prefects. They wore a special tie, and had duties such as manning checkpoints throughout the school during lunch and before school started to restrict access to people without the right pass card (so, a Chess Club card could get you into the corridor with the chess club room in at lunchtime, a Form Card could get you to your own Form Room, etc.). The next rank up were the Observators - they wore the special tie, and a gown over the top of their uniform with a yellow stripe down each side. They oversaw students in Assembly, with special chairs facing towards the students to see any misbehaviour. They had a rota to read the prayers during Assembly as well. Above them was the Vice Captain, whose gown had a light blue stripe instead of yellow, and reported to the School Captain, who had a red stripe. The whole order of Prefects had access to their own room.

The Sixth Form Council was a somewhat separate body, with each form providing a representative to bring up any issues. I think there might have been separate councils for the Sixth Form and the lower school... Though possibly they worked together on some issues.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
The student council in Kanon seemed pretty accurate, We had a student council at my school they didn't really do much other than pep rally's and prom the most extreme thing they ever did was organized a school walk out which only lasted about fifteen minutes of course I didn't even go I stayed at home because I thought it would last longer and it was pretty cold outside. BTW Justin your not the only one who skipped prom I stayed at home and watched Anime that night. Cool
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I didn't know some American schools have student councils. Then again, I feel like I said that before and that this question has been asked before.

All of my schools (California public schools) had student councils, not just in high school but also in middle school and even grammar school, though for grammar school the officers were always 6th graders and the reps only came from the upper grades. I was my classroom rep for student council in either 5th or 6th grade (can't remember which one anymore - all I really remember is having to get up far too early because the meetings were always held before school). In middle school and high school, since we rotated around for classes, each grade had its own set of elected officers, and all of those together made up the council. As per the usual, the officer elections were always a popularity contest. Ours were actually pretty hotly contested in high school, though, because we were one of the top public high schools in the country, and getting to put "student council" as an extracurricular looked good on college applications for the kids who were aiming for places like Stanford or MIT or Berkeley.

As for the Japanese, that kind of work ethic is ingrained in the culture. It isn't just kids helping with custodial chores after school - there were articles from the last World Cup about the Japanese soccer fans helping to clean up the stadiums after each of their team's games, too.

Quote:
“We have started this tradition a few games ago or a few World Cups ago. We try to do little bit of clean-up to show respect to the host country and just, you know, show off how clean things are in Japan. And we like to make it so here, too,” Japanese football fan Kei Kawai told NPR.

Kawai added, “we are all told in school that we clean up our things and when we come somewhere, we just clean up even better than when we come in.”
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember at the very least my Middle School having a student Council, even going so far as to have elections, but I don't really remember them doing anything after that, or I never paid attention. Anyway, as far as anime Student Councils, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the almost Private Military Company-like student council in "Best Student Council".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
All of my schools (California public schools) had student councils, not just in high school but also in middle school and even grammar school, though for grammar school the officers were always 6th graders and the reps only came from the upper grades. I was my classroom rep for student council in either 5th or 6th grade (can't remember which one anymore - all I really remember is having to get up far too early because the meetings were always held before school).

As for the Japanese, that kind of work ethic is ingrained in the culture. It isn't just kids helping with custodial chores after school - there were articles from the last World Cup about the Japanese soccer fans helping to clean up the stadiums after each of their team's games, too.

What's grammar school? Is that elementary school? (6th grade was moved to middle school by the time I reached it, so I take it this is some time ago.)

And yeah, you got a point there regarding the Japanese work ethic: Total dedication towards doing the best job you possibly can. Here, cleaning up is punishment (as you can see with people in prison uniforms picking up litter by the highways and such). Makes me think of Japanophobia in the 80's. One of the things Americans feared about Japan was that it's a country full of absurdly hard workers that the Americans felt they could never reach, so why bother?
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's grammar school? Is that elementary school? (6th grade was moved to middle school by the time I reached it, so I take it this is some time ago.)

Yes. In the US, grammar school, elementary school, grade school, and primary school are all basically the same thing - what you call it probably depends on where you live or what you grew up hearing other people call it (my Mom always said "grammar school," but that's admittedly a bit old-fashioned - I just use it because its quicker to say). Also how many grades it covers depends on where you live. In the school district I attended in California, "elementary school" is through grade 6 and "junior high" is for grades 7 & 8 - I attended in the 80s and 90s, but I have nieces and nephews going to the same schools now and they're still set up the same way. OTOH, the local school district where I live now follows the model you're familiar with, where elementary school is through grade 5 and "middle school" is for grades 6-8. I'm pretty sure that's the most common setup nationwide, but you can still find middle schools that start as early as 5th grade or run as late as 9th grade depending on how the district chooses to divide them up.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Quote:

Yes. In the US, grammar school, elementary school, grade school, and primary school are all basically the same thing - what you call it probably depends on where you live or what you grew up hearing other people call it (my Mom always said "grammar school," but that's admittedly a bit old-fashioned - I just use it because its quicker to say). Also how many grades it covers depends on where you live. In the school district I attended in California, "elementary school" is through grade 6 and "junior high" is for grades 7 & 8 - I attended in the 80s and 90s, but I have nieces and nephews going to the same schools now and they're still set up the same way. OTOH, the local school district where I live now follows the model you're familiar with, where elementary school is through grade 5 and "middle school" is for grades 6-8. I'm pretty sure that's the most common setup nationwide, but you can still find middle schools that start as early as 5th grade or run as late as 9th grade depending on how the district chooses to divide them up.

The school I went to in Pennsylvania had elementary school going up to 4th grade, 5th and 6th grade as intermediate school, 7th and 8th as middle school, and 9 on as high school.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3