• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most violent anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Spoiler tags, PLEASE! Not everyone has seen the X TV series all the way through, and for an ending like that, it's best not to ruin it for them. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
spike_spiegel7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:00 pm Reply with quote
i think samurai x (oav)
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of any really gory anime and such, but, I can think of a cartoon that are violent without blood and guts and gore. The famous Tom and Jerry. That show has be so violent it's funny. Tom always seems to step on rakes or hoes or various other yard care equipment. Or, when he gets kicked, he doesn't stop until he hits a wall. Or when he runs through a fence, he falls to pieces. And his scream. No one could replicate that....except if they recorded it or something. But, once I realised this, I'm like, cool! Surprised It's just a thought I had to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kidotai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon.

Think about it....anti-social behavior....capturing and fighting small critters...Porygon...

*ducks the thrown objects*
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Kidotai wrote:
Pokemon.

Think about it....anti-social behavior....capturing and fighting small critters...Porygon...

*ducks the thrown objects*

Ah yes, another bloodless fighting one. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
liquad snake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Jin Roh the wolf brigade is realy violent. It was mane the same director who made Akira and ghost in the shell .
Witch I think are incredible. They are some of the best anime of all time.
In my humble opinion.
O and pokemon is the creation of the devil him self It must be stopt!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Jin-Roh isn't all that violent. There are only a few scenes of violent content, and they take a back seat to everything else.

Of course, I'd say the violence in Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-Hen is overshadowed by the story as well, but given how many people seem to consider it "the most violent anime of all time," I seem to be in the minority (one would think that for an anime to truly be considered "the most violent," the violent content would be its focus...and the violence in Kenshin sure as hell wasn't the focus there Razz ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Would you consider violence and gore to be different terms here?

Psychologically speaking, both Boogiepop Phantom and Now and Then, Here and There were both pretty violent, but not too gory. Heck, even SaiKano was pretty traumatic on my noodle.

On the other hand, Bio Hunter and BAOH were more or less gory for the sake of being gory. Ninja Scroll was close up there, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Of course, I'd say the violence in Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-Hen is overshadowed by the story as well, but given how many people seem to consider it "the most violent anime of all time," I seem to be in the minority (one would think that for an anime to truly be considered "the most violent," the violent content would be its focus...

I agree. Anime that focus on violence, such as those of the fighting genre, never really have much of a solid story. Now I could be wrong (and I probably am Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop), by all means correct me. But people think of violence in terms of blood, gore, getting beat to death, or body count (maybe). Shows such as Berserk, Ninja Scroll, or Fist of the North Star, just to name a few, are considered very violent because these shows had a little too much of those key factors. Most people would consider Tsuioku-Hen very violent mainly due to the fact of the amount of blood shed and how Kenshin acts upon his killings, if you know what I mean. But I wouldn't consider it THE most violent anime of all time. The story speaks for itself, and I thought it to be a beautiful anime, regardless of content. If anything, DBZ could be considered pretty violent because you see two guys beat the crap out of each other for 20+ episodes. Cool
LTGMars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:20 am Reply with quote
Ditto to what's been said. I would venture to say that Tsuiokuhen has "conventional violence". The violence portrayed is that one would normally expect for that time period and that calling (to be a hitokiri). Of course he's going to chop a few heads off... what makes it so seemingly violent is that, especially since most that've seen the OVA have seen the TV series, that level of violence is not expected from something in the Kenshin timeline, even if it is an OVA.

Nevertheless, that violence, as grotesque as it was, was appropriate and perhaps needed in order to show the true horror of Kenshin's past life. Those outlandishly violent scenes, as well as the ordeal with Tomoe, make us all the more compassionate towards the rurouni who has vowed never to kill again.
eva05

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:28 pm Reply with quote
liquad snake wrote:
Jin Roh the wolf brigade is realy violent. It was mane the same director who made Akira and ghost in the shell

It is not the same director. Hiroyuki Okiura is an animation lead.

Jinroh was his first film as a director, which is a totally different set of responsiblities.

From what I understand, and this is what I've heard from some of the team invovled with the rewriting of the script, he was extremely dissatisfied with the project. I also understand the director has decided his experience was so bad on the project he decided to remain in the role of lead animator (which he had in GITS I believe) for future projects.

Jinroh is actually notorious for the number of rewrites it went through. I've heard as many as a dozen people made severe revisions to the screenplay while the film was being produced. I also know that the director was completely unsatisfied by the finished result, which is why there is no special edition of it available overseas.

I also didn't particularly find it very violent. Then again I didn't care for the movie so maybe I wasn't engaged enough to care...

j
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I’ll throw in my vote for First of the North Star. That movie has more dismembered body parts and exploding heads than you can shake a barrel full of dead monkeys at.
Fenrir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Fist of the North Star and Berserk and quite Violent.
syr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Kite was quite bloody. The uncut version anyway.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:47 am Reply with quote
Why does something HAVE to be bloody to be called violent? Confused
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10