• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did Shonen Jump Succeed In America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
Rika Hue wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

Huh? I actually wish they'd stop sending me those. I have no use for them.

My friend, those can sell for a pretty penny on a site like troll&toad. Even if you don't get a lot per card, hey that's better than it just lying around somewhere at home, right?

I just used them as bookmarks. Razz

Tsk. Those are some 10$ bookmarks you have there Very Happy
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly not surprised Shonen Jump succeeded. Shounen anime and manga has generally been quite popular in the US. If you look at some of the most popular anime in the US, it's mostly under the shounen category: Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball Z, Fairy Tail, Death Note, One Piece, etc.

I was a subscriber of Shojo Beat from the first issue and until it ended. Since that was my first experience with a manga magazine, it was a bit frustrating to only read 1 chapter of a manga per month. But my favorite thing about it was I got introduced to a lot of manga I probably would not have picked up on my own. This especially mattered to me because back in the early 2000s, the manga companies like Viz and Tokyopop would give out free sampler manga. That also helped me discover things I wouldn't have normally. But I guess because of the expense, they stopped doing this by about mid 2000s, sort of around the time when Shojo Beat started up.

I guess it was OK in a way that Shojo Beat went under though. Those magazines took up a lot of space in the house.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

Huh? I actually wish they'd stop sending me those. I have no use for them.

I think there is an option to stop receiving cards. I haven't login to the website for long, but I remember there was way to do it.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
bj_waters wrote:

I just used them as bookmarks. Razz

Tsk. Those are some 10$ bookmarks you have there Very Happy

They probably aren't worth that much anymore. Been kicked around too much. They ain't exactly mint now.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Much of the user base switched to the online version in early 2012, and within only four months, the print version was history.

Actually, I remember there being a big loss of subscribers. Very few people switched to digital. It slowly grew over the years, but not everyone jumped the ship so soon.

I am not sure about the numbers, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think their digital subscripton base is still lower than what they had when it was in print.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Jump is a big reason I'm even into the manga/anime scene. My dad brought home SJ #7 (July 2003) home along with some other magazine because I think a co-workers had them and didn't want them. I was already huge into Dragon Ball Z, and even owned a couple old issues of the DBZ manga, was a regular Toonami watcher, and my little brother was into Yu-Gi-Oh, but Shonen Jump introduced me to One Piece, Naruto, Sand Land, and the YGO manga (also Knights of the Zodiac through it's preview), and kept me in the loop about the industry. I subscribed for a year and only stopped because my dad forgot to renew, but I kept buying them off newstands irregularly for a while. I did kinda loose interest when they dropped DBZ for some reason after the Cell games (they ONLY ran Android/Cell chapters...), and I was never into Naruto or Bleach. I remember the magazine slimming down a lot too. I kept every issue I owned until I moved, and my mom made me throw them all away. My little brother did recently find a copy of issue #7 in a used comic shop though and bought it.

I remember it being really popular too. Even my school library and book fairs stocked up on recent issues, and you could subscribe through the Scholastic Book Club.

There is an anime magazine I see on newsstands though. It even has a manga preview IIRC. I forget what it's called though. It reminds me of the old Anime Insider.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There is an anime magazine I see on newsstands though. It even has a manga preview IIRC. I forget what it's called though. It reminds me of the old Anime Insider.

Most likely Otaku USA. I think that's the only one that's around anymore (and they only do 6 issues a year!).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I had all of the magazines mentioned. I discontinued Pulp before it went out of print as I realized that there was only one title that I was interested in. I also discontinued Shojo Beat early as the pink type they used made my eyes bleed. I even managed to find all of the MangaVizion issued before I started collecting.

I ended up giving them all to the local library branch for their manga club. I had run out of space and realized I would never get them out and reread them. I kept Dark Horse's Super Manga Blast though. It was comic book size and hid among the comics.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Quote:
Much of the user base switched to the online version in early 2012, and within only four months, the print version was history.

Actually, I remember there being a big loss of subscribers. Very few people switched to digital. It slowly grew over the years, but not everyone jumped the ship so soon.

I am not sure about the numbers, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think their digital subscripton base is still lower than what they had when it was in print.

Fewer subscribers may be a problem for some publications, but if the gain in revenue from dropping print editions is enough to compensate for decreased subscriber numbers, then the change is likely worth it.

I think Shonen Jump strongly sought after new viewership by advertising online to younger consumers who grew up with the internet and did not have much of an attachment to print. It seems to have worked.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I have wonder why they went the comic-book and comic-store route rather than the Heavy Metal (which was sold at regular newsstands) route?

Though, in partial answer to my own question.... It could be that by the 90's, after a decade of ill advised editorial meddling and increasing lack of direction, it's glory days were long over and it was a shadow it's former self - limping along mostly by sheer force of habit and no longer relevant.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
The better cards sell for quite a bit. I basically have a free Shonen Jump subscription for the next three years (and counting). The Slifer card went for $70 and I bought multiple copies of the physical book that came with the Luster Soldier and flipped them for $15, which was less than the book (plus a free 3 month subscription).

Toss them on eBay once you get them. Some sell for $5, others sell for quite a bit. It should, at worse, give you a free subscription.

And I don't even play Yu-Gi-Oh. Personally I wish we'd get Dragon Ball Z cards instead, but when the cards pay for the subscription and then more, I can't complain.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I used to get so excited to walk down to the Barnes and Noble near my college to pick up that month's issues of Shonen Jump and Yen+.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Welp, yeah, also used to be a subscriber to both Jump and Beat (in print), good times though, even if it had to end someday.

At least the brandings still continue within the series on them.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
I have wonder why they went the comic-book and comic-store route rather than the Heavy Metal (which was sold at regular newsstands) route?

Though, in partial answer to my own question.... It could be that by the 90's, after a decade of ill advised editorial meddling and increasing lack of direction, it's glory days were long over and it was a shadow it's former self - limping along mostly by sheer force of habit and no longer relevant.

Yeah, I don't see Heavy Metal at regular news stands or at B&N and BAM.
They have it at my comic book store, but I don't believe many comic book stores carry it anymore either, unless they have a few subscribers that for it.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
God, I picked up a copy of Raijin back when I was around 10 or 11. That takes me back. I do like "Mamotte Shugogettan," "Bow Wow Wata," and "Revenge of Mouflon," personally. Pretty good stuff. But, yeah, the rest of the line-up was crap, and nothing in there was nearly as good as what Shonen Jump ran.

At least it was better than those horrible manga Newtype USA put in. Eesh. Those always sucked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4