• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Gets New Anime Project Featuring Guts as 'Black Swordsman'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
ha
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Though it sucks, I can deal with the hiatus, I'm absolutely pumped for the Black Swordsman Arc! 'Bout time something other than the Golden Age Arc got animated.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
The original anime´s pilot (the one bit that improved on the manga) was indeed set in the Black Swordsman arc and both games also featured that appearance of Guts. They were written by Miura btw.

Studio 4°C need to be keep away with a stick as they managed tarnished the epic enough!
The trilogy had no real involvement by the master himself and was original supposed to be one single film. Urgh. They were also a huge money sink so there is still justice in the world Smile.
The 3 films were by Warner Bros and the news item mentions NBC which is owned by Universal so i should get my wish granted. A long form OVA is basically inviable in the modern day and a midnight TV adaptation will be problematic too so i will keep my expectations low till i see what´s up. The hiatus lastly came a few months sooner than expected. It may be due to this new project.
Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
Edit: Thank you for the project´s link Souther (what a fitting name).

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, found the anime site linked somewhere else I think: http://berserk-anime.com/
minoru09

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
We finally get the chance to see Black Swordman arc animated? Is this a bizzaro world?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Surprising news.

Berserk getting new anime but I wonder what format it will be...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
After that movie trilogy, I won't get too excited until I learn more about what they're planning.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
No prob ResidentGringo, and, actually, after seeing a few comments from other boards, perhaps I was too hasty in assuming the Black Swordsman arc was getting animated. People pointed out the visual was from the events of Lost Children, so that part of the Conviction arc's getting animated? Perhaps as an OVA? We'll see.....

Last edited by Souther on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
And there I was, still delighted about the continuation of D.Gray-man. With the translation of the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novel(s) coming out, 2016 is very much going to be a good year regarding my pop-cultural needs.

The last movie was the best of the three I believe. If that trend continues, this could be okay, even as a continuation of the movies. Nothing can ever surpass the most beautiful character development of the original TV series, but that series is a treasure that is unlikely to be reproduced, better to have something than nothing.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Part of what made the movies so enjoyable was the fantastic soundtrack. Seriously, I'll be sorely disappointed if they don't reprise or reference Blood and Guts or Son Cauchemar.

Excited for the new series, though I would have liked to see them carry on with the movies.
bobob101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Look, I'm fine if I never get to see an ending to 5 Star Stories or One Piece (though odds are Eiichiro Oda might not see it either. Take a break man, you're killing yourself!) or Hunter X Hunter. But I really want to one day see an end to Berserk. I get how being stuck on the same project for years doesn't get those creative juices flowing (Araki has the vampire excuse and I wish I knew what Itagaki Keisukes excuse is) but Miura always gets my hopes up then dashes them. It's a cruel cycle. Here's hoping for a Blaster Knuckle anime, though I can't imagine anyone either than Yoshiaki Kawajiri or Ichiro Itano having the balls/lack of sensitivity to make that fantasy a reality.
Treiz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
Berserk going on hiatus again? The ride never ends...
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
Shocked Holy s*** I reapeat holy s***. First Fullmetal panic than d gray man now this... I have no words for how happy i am right now.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
Look, I'm fine if I never get to see an ending to 5 Star Stories or One Piece (though odds are Eiichiro Oda might not see it either. Take a break man, you're killing yourself!) or Hunter X Hunter. But I really want to one day see an end to Berserk. I get how being stuck on the same project for years doesn't get those creative juices flowing (Araki has the vampire excuse and I wish I knew what Itagaki Keisukes excuse is) but Miura always gets my hopes up then dashes them. It's a cruel cycle.

At least Oda (supposedly) has a plan for OP. I believe the creative problems that both Miura and Togashi are having are at least partly due to their series ballooning way past the original scope and now they are having serious trouble juggling all these characters and subplots.

Quote:
Here's hoping for a Blaster Knuckle anime, though I can't imagine anyone either than Yoshiaki Kawajiri or Ichiro Itano having the balls/lack of sensitivity to make that fantasy a reality.

Man, they should make it an ultraviolent 90's OVA. Hey, it worked for Mazinkaiser SKL.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Finally. The Black Swordsman portion of Berserk is where the real action is, I was somewhat po'ed when I saw the first anime series and saw that they only did the Golden Age arc. Now we get to see some good characters and really see Guts kick some demon arse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5