• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Noragami Aragoto

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srlracing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
The whole Yato has another name thing actually had been foreshadowed by Hiyori trying to research Yato and only finding another god and a particular line where they say Yato is using another god's name like Ebisu Kofuku.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, heavenly justice sucks. Sad I don't think Ebisu's gonna survive this and even if he would, the heavens would most likely continue to hunt him down. It's sad that he has to go just when he's finally found value in his own existence. Let's hope his new incarnation will be able to take better care of himself...

I also feel bad for Bishamon who'd probably risked a lot by defending Ebisu and for Yato of course who's fought so hard to save him. I hope the final episode won't be all doom and gloom, though. I'm already starting to miss this show.

Quote:
Thunder god Takemikazuchi seems like he won the shinki lottery with a dragon made of lightning.

That made me chuckle. Laughing But i agree, it looked pretty cool.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
They made some odd changes from the manga in this arc. Some reordering which actually made for some good moments. And some odder changes. The whole heaven superweapon thing wasn't in the manga, and they cut out a scene of spoiler[heaven using children as weapons to kill off Ebisu's nora's (the people of Heaven are jerks).]Although the adaptation hasn't shied away from the more brutal scenes in the Bishamon arc.

Other then that the animation is slightly better in this episode then the previous ones, but there are still lots of bad drawings. I feel sorry for the animators, their schedule is probably down the drain right now and they're breaking.

And Bishamon as usual is very very awesome.

Last edited by Doodleboy on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
PinKunoichi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yato's name was eluded to as early as the first chapter in the manga, where the girl thought he was going to be someone weird by how he wrote it with his phone number. To elaborate, everyone assumed the second character was the katakana ト (to), as opposed to the kanji 卜 (boku). Combining kanji with katakana is something that people just don't do, and made Yato seem even more than a wierdo than he normally was because of it. To give an English equivalent, this would be like using an uppercase I instead of a lower case l, and none would be the wiser unless it was elaborated on.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
1. Massive bonus points for Yato laying on top of Hiyori and no one freaking out about "amg male is on top of female! **SLAP**" Yes, it wasn't the moment, but I can still imagine other less-elegant anime pulling that scene anyway.

2. Bishamon did not come out "unscathed," you still see the wounds from Izanami's hair all over her.

1- Oddly enough, Noragami *is* that kind of show sometimes (esp. Yato, Hiyori, and Yukine in happier moments), but yeah, this read as more, "drowning man recovered from near-annihilation", than "eww, pervy dude catching a grope". In-universe, everyone was in shock that Hiyori's semi-random-guess even worked - no one more so than Hiyori herself.

2 - Oh yeah, for all of Bishamon's hotness, this season especially, she gets f'ed up on the regular. None of this "warrior women don't muss their hair & makeup" business - every serious fight she's in leaves her (and her shinki) cut up, bruised, disheveled, bandaged, and visibly shaken. The fact that they jump back into the fray knowing that the hurt is "real", makes her/them all the more awesome.

Review wrote:
No storyline in Noragami has been without tragedy, but I bet we'll be encountering Ebisu New Game+ in the near future.

merida wrote:
Well, heavenly justice sucks. Sad I don't think Ebisu's gonna survive this and even if he would, the heavens would most likely continue to hunt him down. It's sad that he has to go just when he's finally found value in his own existence. Let's hope his new incarnation will be able to take better care of himself...

This makes me imagine Ebisu as a somber but determined-looking kid in a too-big-for-him 'dept store picture day' suit, with the logo from "How to Train your Dragon", with "Phantom/Ayakashi" scrawled over a crossed-out "Dragon". :goes to find artist friend to sketch this...:

As a high-ranking god of the super-ancient variety, Takemikazuchi is a douche with an overinflated sense of his own importance, and so is his lightning-dragon (Kiun). Watching them get a royal smackdown courtesy of two disgraced gods and their reprobate shinki was pretty epic. "What can a mere earring do?" indeed. The CG was a nice treat, too, but collateral damage much?

Quote:
I hope that the next season (whenever it arrives) treats us to more figures from Japanese mythology. Noragami's world remains both fascinating and fertile ground for dramatic storytelling.

Oh, don't tease Sad I *wish* they would do a S3 - the way they covered so much ground, but in a very tightly-plotted (and mostly reasonable) way makes me giddy to think how far they could go with another season. We've only gotten glimpses of Father's cruelty and Heaven's unjust bureaucracy - with more time, we could see just how far down this rabbit hole goes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
More than just Nora being Izanami, I have recently put forward that idea that Yato himself is not so unlike her towards Hiyori. Yato is a very lonely person who has Hiyori inch closer to the world of the dead by being with her. Hiyori does not seem to see it that way, and that maybe makes it better, although she is like 15.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
While it made for some nice visuals, I'm surprised at how much the series deviated from the manga. Did they not want to introduce another character?
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
While it made for some nice visuals, I'm surprised at how much the series deviated from the manga. Did they not want to introduce another character?

Takemikazuchi and his shinki Kiun were there, I recall that Heavenly "guard" woman who kept the gods of fortune locked up in the previous episode, who else are we missing?

The CG was very cool, and a good use of the animation medium. But also if there isn't a S3 in the works, they probably would not want to do anything that doesn't move the story towards (temporary) resolution at this late point.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Takemikazuchi and his shinki Kiun were there, I recall that Heavenly "guard" woman who kept the gods of fortune locked up in the previous episode, who else are we missing?

spoiler[The Goddess who actually tells them how Soul Call works, I think is what they meant]. I'm not too upset about the changes from the manga, and I even think adding the Hafuri vs Heaven Shinki fight is a pretty good move.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
mandisaw wrote:

spoiler[The Goddess who actually tells them how Soul Call works, I think is what they meant]. I'm not too upset about the changes from the manga, and I even think adding the Hafuri vs Heaven Shinki fight is a pretty good move.

Yes, that's who I meant.

Takemikazuchi was only introduced in the current manga arc, wasn't he?

Last edited by crosswithyou on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
I actually prefer the way events happened in the manga. But changes were to be expected, since it is Bones after all. At least it looks like the next episode is going to go back on track. spoiler[It looks like they'll introduce chibi-Ebisu!]
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm not too upset about the changes from the manga, and I even think adding the Hafuri vs Heaven Shinki fight is a pretty good move.

Yes, that's who I meant.

Re: missing/changed person from the manga: Thanks, forgot that. But still, that doesn't strike me as much of a big change.

As for Takemikazuchi, he got named for the audience more recently, but pretty sure he was at the fight against Ebisu (nd by extension, Bishamon/Kazuma and Yato/Yukine), because Kiun was there. I'd have to go back and reread to be 100% sure, but I think that aspect of him being part of the execution was unchanged.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I am satisfied with how the story and the relationship between Yato, Hiyori and Yukine has progressed through Noragami Aragoto, but I am giving episode 13 only 4 stars because I was not pleased with spoiler[the teaser after the credits]. If a third season is made I will be very interested, but if there isn't one, I will be disappointed every time I rewatch the last episode of Aragoto.

Still, I pretty much loved every single moment in Noragami Aragoto. I am giving it and overall rating of Very good.
secondkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The last episode has the moment I've been waiting for the entire season to adapt from the manga: Little Ebisu! Although his voice was too high-pitched than what I imagined.

For someone who has read the manga first, I frequently noticed some details that were cut or changed but I think it didn't lessen the experience of seeing the story again animated. Overall the anime is a good condensed version of the manga; it gives you everything that you need to appreciate the series but you could always check the source for more.

Noragami is one of the best series I've been currently following and I especially credit it to Hiyori. Hiyori is a unique heroine in a supernatural series; she doesn't gain the same abilities as the characters she's with (aside from her soul popping out) nor is she the "special girl" who had innate powers to tame a god (I pray that never happens in the future) yet she can help--even save--Yato within the limits of her humanity (the shrine and the name-summoning) and sometimes her actions are more important to a god's existence than anything else in heaven.

There was a really strong hint of a third season at the end; if it happens, I'll be so happy.
Patches

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

His face has only recently been revealed in the current manga arc, but he's been a player since the mid-Ebisu arc, first showing up as one of the shadowed gods in the conference handing down Ebisu's sentence (the anime also put him in the conference to reprimand Bishamon, however he wasn't at that one in the manga). You can tell it's him by the long bangs. Takemikazuchi was then later explicitly named by Ebisu once he summoned Kiun/Ouki, with Ebisu commenting something like, "Well, there's no point hiding your face then, since everyone knows that's Takemikazuchi's lightning dragon".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12