• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Engrish Titles Only Sometimes Get Corrected For America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Fabe wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
One word. Bodacious Space Pirates.

I really don't understand why people have such a problem with that title.

It's grody to the max.

How so? 'bodacious' is just synonym for 'awesome' at least in this case
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
the Legend of Legendary Heroes... though I understand this is the actual title in japanese too.

I haven't seen the show, but I always thought that was intended humorously (in the original Japanese too), identifying the show as a send-up of high fantasy tropes.

Also:

Is "Bleach" supposed to mean anything? Are they laundering a stained world of its ring-around-the-collar or something? (I've seen only a handful of episodes, so I'm honestly asking)

"serial experiments lain" was always a weird one.

And not anime, but I'll also share the name of a bar I noticed just the other day: "Punched Birth." I can't think of any interpretation of that that would make me want to go in, even if I weren't a teetotaller.

And while I'm at it, there's also a sailboat shop in my town called "Break Wind."

Last edited by vanfanel on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
Let's not forget the infamous "Clannad" Rolling Eyes

"Clannad" is not Engrish as it's not an English word. It is, from what I've read, a butchering of some Celtic word (so Irish/Welsh/Gaelic, don't remember) meaning "family".
actually, it's not even a proper word, it's a title of an Irish band which got their name as a contraction of "Clann As Dobhar" (the family from Dore). the creator mistook the name of the band to be the Irish word for family. that's actually been admitted officially.

I was wondering your profile screenname picture what show is it from?
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
before when i knew what Attack on Titan was. When i read the title i was expecting some space opera sci-fi story of an invasion (or attack) on Titan; one of the moons orbiting Saturn.

I was quite disappointed that it wasnt the case.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Is "Bleach" supposed to mean anything? Are they laundering a stained world of its ring-around-the-collar or something? (I've seen only a handful of episodes, so I'm honestly asking)

"Bleach" is the name of an music album Kubo likes a lot. The title is metaphorical. When a Shinigami slays down a Hollow, the soul of the Hollow gets purified; in metaphorical sense, the soul gets bleached.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
jenny10-11 wrote:
The Attack on Titan title always made me think it was a sci-fi space mecha story, so I didn't watch it for a long time. Of course, Attack of the Titans sounds like a 90's sports movie, so it's basically a no-win situation :lol:

NormanS wrote:
before when i knew what Attack on Titan was. When i read the title i was expecting some space opera sci-fi story of an invasion (or attack) on Titan; one of the moons orbiting Saturn.

I was quite disappointed that it wasnt the case.

I actually would have been interested in Attack on Titan from the very start if it had been a sci-fi space opera with giant robots set on and around a certain moon of Saturn. As it was, I only started becoming interested in it when I heard that it was going to air on Adult Swim.

Also, I noticed the thinly-veiled dig at Remember the Titans. That film was one of Denzel Washington's best.
DoctorScorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
One example of what Justin described with refusing to defer to a native speaker was described in a commentary track for Hellsing Ultimate. From what was said, it sounds like New Generation came close to losing the chance to work on the Hellsing TV series because they insisted that the main character's name should be Alucard. The Japanese company not only insisted on Arucard, but that there was no reason to bother asking Hirano which he actually meant to use. Later on when both sides of it were in the same room with Hirano, Taliesan Jaffe decided to just ask, and Hirano's response was basically that he didn't know which it was and that he would defer to the native speakers.

Before Ultimate came out, Toshiharu Murata (character designer of the TV series) had a signing at Anime Expo. As he was doing sketches of "Alucard" he was talking to the translator in Japanese saying the name was not Alucard, but Aakaado (thats the romanji version of what he said to give you guys an idea of how he worded it).
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
Even after the titles are picked up for the US and other foreign markets, some creators will still use the Engrish titles. I have a sketch done by Mayumi Azusa, the creator of Erementar Gerad and drawn years after the US release, and she still writes the Engrish title.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I was always very thankful that Haibane Renmei just stuck with the Japanese title instead of trying to translate it, as I can't think of any version of "Charcoal Feather Alliance" (or whatever the name translates to) that isn't incredibly awkward.

Doubly so since Americans are used to charcoal (briquettes) being black, and Haibane have light-gray wings, like Binchōtan charcoal.

meruru wrote:
There's been multiple shows I've come across now where the title sounds like it's possibly a fetish show, but the actual show is anything but, but from the title I nearly didn't watch. Bodacious Space Pirates' title sounded like that, but moreso is Maria the Virgin Witch.

Kiddy Grade!

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Diabolik Lovers More, Blood bugs me to no end for its nonsensical comma placement.

It's supposed, to be, read, in William Shatner's, voice.
Purpadude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
Fate/Stay Night, Ergo Proxy, and Angel Beats! are all pretty good. You can argue about the meaning and intention of them, but those are some funny words put together.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Anything from the Science Adventure series (i.e. Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, Chaos;Child). Considering that there's no semicolon in Japanese grammar and the fact that most native English speakers don't even know how to use it correctly, the use here feels kinda pretentious. Wonder who at 5pb came up with the titles.

Oh God, those things make me start twitching every time I read them. I know that Steins;Gate in particular is supposed to be a quality show, but I almost can't bring myself to get it because I'd be internally screaming every time I looked at the cover. Laughing
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Personally? I really don't mind titles that don't make sense in English - especially if their "weirdness" comes from something that makes sense within the context of the show. We're talking about fiction and fiction's no stranger to bizarre names and terms. Sometimes, you simply might not understand the context behind those names.

However, sometimes companies go further than simply fixing the English or translating titles. That's when they actually give it a completely new title. That's a practice I cannot get behind. At all.

Fabe wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

That's because every word has a connotation that goes beyond its standard meaning. Yes, it is a synonym for awesome, but it's also a cheesy, out-of-date term like "radical", "hip" or "far out".
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Some of my favorite English Anime titles are, Kill me Baby, Black Cat, Cowboy Bebop, Spice and Wolf, Kill la Kill, but my ALL time favorite is what Yuri Kuma Arashi is translated into English "Lesbian Bear Storm" which is why Funimation will most likely keep it as is for the home video release. Laughing
unready

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:

Two reasons:
1. A literal translation of "Mouretsu Pirates" would be "Hard-working Pirates."
2. "Bodacious" was popular California surfer jargon in the 1980s. We're a few years past that.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

That's because every word has a connotation that goes beyond its standard meaning. Yes, it is a synonym for awesome, but it's also a cheesy, out-of-date term like "radical", "hip" or "far out".

I always assumed the word "bodacious" was referring to the curvy female characters, and like someone else said, it gives the show a cool 80's/90's vibe alluding to the sexy crime fighting anime of the past like Dirty Pair and Cutey Honey. I didn't know the word also had that sort of out-of-date meaning, but that only helps the old-style vibe I'm getting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6