• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kobe Anime Street Drops Eye Logo After Modern Artist Murakami Claims Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
It occurs to me that perhaps I was being unfair to Mr. Murakami. As far as I know it is possible that the artist who drew the logo actually did copy it from a specific Murakami work.
But if that is the case then I would like to see a picture of the original.

I wasn't convinced at first either, but then I saw this in one of the source links and now I'm positive whoever created the logo had seen this image before.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
@Emerje

Sorry, it still doesn't quite fit. If what you said was true, just about everything starting from Astro Boy and Princess Knight would be included in the infringing eye department...
addiemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
@Emerje

Sorry, it still doesn't quite fit. If what you said was true, just about everything starting from Astro Boy and Princess Knight would be included in the infringing eye department...

Nah. Compare:

The key here seems to be using a single "tail" off of the eye, as in the image in the article and the one posted above by Emerje.

Not that I'm particularly in favor of this level of litigousness, based on what I see here, and I'm sure a similar anime eye CAN be found. But it's not either of those two. Smile
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The comments on this thread are gold.

Even with the context Emerje posted I still can't see enough of a similarity to warrant suing. I've seen similar art so many times before, even if right now I can't remember specific examples.
There may be more in the context of this case that we're not privy to, but on the surface it still seems pretty weak.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
The tail off the eye is just an eyelash. Single-tailed eyelashes have occurred in lots of different anime, including Giant Robo, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Nuku Nuku, Pokemon, etc. Seriously though, the Kobe Street logo looks more like Shizuka's eyes from Doraemon than any of the images so far shown from Murakami.

TBH, unless Kobe Anime Street literally photocopied one of Murakami's actual pieces of art, I can't see this as plagiarism, it comes across way more like a self-absorbed artist who thinks his minimalist art style is so distinct/profound that anything remotely resembling it "has to be a rip-off." Imagine if he ever decides to start drawing stick figures and goes after all the 'copycats', it's like a South Park episode just waiting to write itself.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't see enough originality to have a case. I do see overzealousness in an IP holder.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, since we're down for plagiarism claims, Murakami should be sued for blatantly copying the visage of Kenji's corrupted avatar from Summer Wars with that doll in the article. spoiler[(Which is funny in of itself because…)]

I mean, if an eye is enough…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Well, since we're down for plagiarism claims, Murakami should be sued for blatantly copying the visage of Kenji's corrupted avatar from Summer Wars with that doll in the article. spoiler[(Which is funny in of itself because…)]

I always thought Summer Wars had a Murakami/Superflat-esque look, so the inspiration may have gone the other way. This grinning sculpture of Murakami's was made in 2000, 9 years before Summer Wars.

The colourful, simplified anime-esque eye motif is used heavily in the artist's work (and like this logo it's usually not in the context of an eye on a normal face: there can be multiple eyes all over a head, or on a surface that bears no resemblance to a face), so it's not like he just picked some random thing he drew once or twice before when calling out this company's logo. When I was looking at the Kaikai Kiki website (the art studio Takashi Murakami founded), I noticed further similarities between the multi-coloured letters of the name and the colourful 神戸アニメストリート (Kobe Anime Street) text as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Who knows? Maybe Murakami will lose the case. If what you guys say is true and this is either too generic or there are too many similar examples, particularly those predating Murakami, then at least the Kobe Anime Street lawyers will have a lot of material to defend with.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
The article says both parties already came to an agreement: Kobe Anime Street will be changing its logo, which it apparently planned to do soon anyway.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

Hosoda is an associate of Murakami and they've worked together on a few projects, including the Superflat Monogram short for Louis Vuitton. As associates, they have fed off of each others' influence for a while now and would likely never accuse the other of plagiarism because they are pretty aware of how influence in art works. Someone who hasn't worked with either is more responsible with the sensitivities in their artwork, even if the resemblance isn't intentional. Especially when using things that resemble Murakami's works, since he's made an international reputation and can't have a ton of copycats running around, Hosoda excluded.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
If Disney was on this suit, it would make sense as they will things like this to keep the IP out of public domain. Also, it's largely thanks to them that the US won't get more works in that domain until early 2019.
Suena

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I wasn't convinced at first either, but then I saw this in one of the source links and now I'm positive whoever created the logo had seen this image before.

Emerje

Mmmm.... The logo looks like someone drew an anime eye and turned it into a speech bubble. I don't think that's too hard of a concept to come up with on your own.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
The eye design is super generic. He can't possibly claim to have created the design of a generic manga-style eye. The arrogance is astounding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
@Juno016, thanks for sharing that!! It's cool to know the similarities between Superflat and Summer Wars come out of past history and collaboration between the two artists :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3