• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Glitter Force Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nephry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
PreCure wouldn't really cater to anything but a niche audience if it was licensed uncensored/undubbed here (likely anime fans only, and only ones who were into fairly conventional magical girl)...and as an edited dub, of course it's going to tick off fans of the original at least somewhat...

This show's really in a tight spot, but judging it from Saban's apparent target audience (little kids-->elementary schoolers), it seems like exactly the kind of thing I would have loved at that age, and likely something that would have been a guilty pleasure into my middle school years. Brings back memories of watching the Winx Club on Saturday mornings. Hopefully it finds footing here, and maybe one day we can see the original Smile
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Nephry wrote:
Hopefully it finds footing here, and maybe one day we can see the original Smile

If we mean the original show (as in Futari Wa), it already aired years ago back in 2009.

I'm not sure if its because I watched it when it was airing on TV but it sounded a lot better than this, OP theme not included.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
I usually stay away from anime that mimic Sailor Moon, but... is this worth watching???

It's not really fair to say a magical girl series mimics Sailor Moon. The genre existed before Sailor Moon and you can say Sailor Moon mimics Cutey Honey by that logic given the references to it in the show. Sailor Moon has a lot of references to older magical girl/tokusatsu shows. Moonlight Knight was a direct parody of Gekkou Kamen, for example.

Pretty Cure is definitely worth watching though. It's the biggest shoujo series out there and the poster child for magical girl anime for the past decade. Each series focuses on a new and different cast so there's a lot of different stories and takes on the franchise. It's just a shame it's been ignored in America until now, and the first exposure Americans will get is this heavily altered dub.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god this is gonna be a hack job. Why change Happy, March, and Beauty's Cure names?
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
It gave me a 4kids vibe. Instantly felt like I was watching Winx Club back in the day. I'll probably check it out since, hella yeah Laura! And I can try out a Precure show for the first time.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
There's no sugarcoating it: the preview trailer of Glitter Force is terrible, straight-up. The voices sound too old and the Glitter names just come out sounding out-of-place. Yep, I'm staying away from this dub.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Oh my god this is gonna be a hack job. Why change Happy, March, and Beauty's Cure names?

I have no idea for Happy, but I think they changed March to change the pun. Nao is now called April so the saying of "March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers" is changed to her civilian name instead of her Cure name. No idea why though. They might have changed Beauty's name because maybe they might get complaints that a characterizing a girl with beauty might be sexist, or because calling an underage girl beautiful might not be appropriate.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Is it safe to assume that this will be released on DVD at a later date? I really would love to watch this and add it to my collection Anime smile

I highly doubt it will be released on DVD.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Beauty's name change to Freeze makes logic in the Politically correct era of ideology about "not being better than others" or something...

March change name to Spring was probably to tie up a "nature/weather" theme, it makes less sense than the Beauty change.

As for Happy to Lucky... "shrug" I guess it just sounded better for the english script writers.

Seeing as they kept Sunny and Peace names, at least they "considered" the original character names, which is much as the active script is probably going to be something very different.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:
Is it safe to assume that this will be released on DVD at a later date? I really would love to watch this and add it to my collection Anime smile

If it is anything like the Power Rangers dvd releases, Saban will cherry pick the episodes together in some erratic fashion just to skim money out of parents.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

As for Happy to Lucky... "shrug" I guess it just sounded better for the english script writers.

Don't you mean Happy go Lucky? Wink

I'm still curious about this; I still want the Precure brand in its Glitter Force moniker to last in the minds of a lot of American girls. Frankly, I hope it lasts until they get to Go Princess Precure since I think they will really like that one.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still curious about this; I still want the Precure brand in its Glitter Force moniker to last in the minds of a lot of American girls. Frankly, I hope it lasts until they get to Go Princess Precure since I think they will really like that one.

Depends on the contract and how strict the Precure deal is compared to say the Super Sentai/Power Rangers one, from what I have heard second hand Saban must use EVERY season of the Sentai source material in some form as they come out and can't skip seasons even if the season has a theme that is "difficult to adapt".
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:

It most likely will, the question is will it be through Cinedigm again since they're the ones still releasing dub-only Digimon on DVD for both Toei & Saban.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Depends on the contract and how strict the Precure deal is compared to say the Super Sentai/Power Rangers one, from what I have heard second hand Saban must use EVERY season of the Sentai source material in some form as they come out and can't skip seasons even if the season has a theme that is "difficult to adapt".

Not counting Go-Busters which was skipped because the show was a failure in Japan.

Last edited by NJ_ on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
I usually stay away from anime that mimic Sailor Moon, but... is this worth watching???

IMO, no. Pretty Cure shows are similar to Sailor Moon, but without a strong romance angle, interesting background mythology, compelling villains, or even decent monsters of the week. There's a lot of weekly doodad collecting to unlock powerups/big bads, and of course, creepy CG dancing in the end credits.

It's written at a very elementary school level and I guess it works for its target audience, but without some of the juicier elements that Sailor Moon introduced, it's not really trying to expand its reach to anyone older than that.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I hope Laura Bailey being in this means there's still hope to hear her in Viz's redub of Sailor Moon. It'd be a shame if she only did this.

The voice director is one of the best in the business, and the names of the VAs involved sounds pretty promising. But with them skipping a notable episode already, I'm a bit apprehensive the dub isn't going to be as good as it could've been.

But on the plus side, maybe this will finally give Crunchyroll the kick in the butt it needs to start offering legal subs for the Precure series.

Nephry wrote:
PreCure wouldn't really cater to anything but a niche audience if it was licensed uncensored/undubbed here (likely anime fans only, and only ones who were into fairly conventional magical girl)...and as an edited dub, of course it's going to tick off fans of the original at least somewhat...

The uncensored show that aired in Japan was aimed at the exact target audience Saban is aiming for. While it would certainly need to be dubbed to appeal to kids here, very little (if any) changes are really necessary to appeal to kids here. (and a more faithful dub could've kept fans of the original alongside the new kids audience) That's why people are so shocked they're going to all this trouble to localize it, because it feels pointless.

Last edited by 1dbad on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6