• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Seven Deadly Sins

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Overall I have to agree with the grade. I checked out this show on pure whim when I saw it was on Netflix, and damn I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The characters were fun, the fights were cool, and the humor was spot on for me.

It has fall backs and isn't exactly ground breaking, though honestly I was fine with Meliodas and his "I'm not even trying" personality which may be because he at least had more to him than most characters with similar shticks (eg. His friendship with the other Sins and Elizabeth felt fun and genuine, not shilled)

I also didn't expect for King to end up being my favorite character, but his story and relationship with Diane really got to me.

The dub was exceptionally solid as well, with Ban and King having great performances. I hope that Max earns more roles after this~
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Anyone familiar with the manga knows that if Meliodias doesn't try, its because he is afraid of what will happen if he does. A hint the one time he lost control of his rage spoiler[he wiped an entire KINGDOM of the map.] If that's not a good reason to hold back I don't know what is.

Last edited by animalia555 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Anyone familiar with the manga knows that if Meliodias doesn't try, its because he is afraid of what will happen if he does. A hint the one time he lost control of his rage spoiler[he wiped an entire KINGDOM of the map.] If that's not a good reason to hold back I don't know what is.

Yeah this pretty much sums up the deal with Meliodas, even when he starts "Trying" he's really not.

In the manga spoiler[ Merlin explains that she took and sealed away Meliodas' powers because he was a danger to himself and others, during their escape from the kingdom a child, implied to be Elizabeth, was injured and Merlin feared if he grew anymore angry the whole kingdom would be wiped out in rage. So he's not trying because he's not capable of trying.

Even then we see later during the fight with Galan the Truth that without the seal powers Meliodas is actually fairy weak.

Besides Meliodas isn't even teh strongest Sin, it's actually Escanor who's the most powerful, but only for a few hours a day.
]

The author does a good job of allowing Meliodas to be too strong by Making his Ability Full Counter, which allows Meliodas to be defensive and not look weak for it.

While I mention it, Full Counter is a fascinating Ability, to have the MCs power be purely defensive is a good take, normally the Main is super offensive and happens to have a somewhat defensive fighter under him.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
For the first half of the show I was struggling to not drop it, but at some point it turned and grew on me quite a bit. It's a pretty standard good-but-not-great shounen series. Wish the main two characters weren't as unlikable as they are, though.

Thank god! You're saying it gets better? I've been watching it on Netflix and I'm on episode 4. So far it just feels like Fairy Tail 2.0 (A shounen that I fell out of love with due to how cliche it was). It feels so unambitious. How much better does it get? When does it pick up?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
animemaster1 wrote:
If find it pretty funny that with these anime that Netflix picks ups like Knights of Sidonia or Seven Deadly Sins, how Netflix has the nerve to call it a Netflix Original Series. How are they alllowed to do that?

That, my friend, is a really good question that I would like to see answered as well.

so would i. they werent part of the production committee like what Cartoon Network was for Big O II . A stream exclusive,yes. but definitely not an original series.

also i wouldnt necessarily call byrce completely overused like how JYB was back in the early to mid 2000's. if that really was the case, they would have had him as inaho for aldnoah zero.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
animemaster1 wrote:
If find it pretty funny that with these anime that Netflix picks ups like Knights of Sidonia or Seven Deadly Sins, how Netflix has the nerve to call it a Netflix Original Series. How are they alllowed to do that?

That, my friend, is a really good question that I would like to see answered as well.

This bothers me too, I think they should change it to "Netflix Exclusive" because the "original" phrasing makes it sound like Netflix invented the story. It's especially bothering because these aren't even anime original series, both Sidonia and NanaTai are based on pre-existing manga, so it feels borderline offensive that Netflix is implicitly claiming creative ownership of the series.
1thought

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
They call it original series because that's what all the competition does.

Everybody calls their exclusives original programming
HBO,Showtime,AMC,FX,Hulu,Amazon,ABC,NBC,CBS,Fox etc..

It just the way to say this show is only available to watch for now or new episodes at this place you can only watch this show at Netflix for example.

It's eventually meant to create a brand where oh I really like that channel or netflix so you watch more of their stuff or subscribe to watch the exclusives.

Last edited by 1thought on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Thank god! You're saying it gets better? I've been watching it on Netflix and I'm on episode 4. So far it just feels like Fairy Tail 2.0 (A shounen that I fell out of love with due to how cliche it was). It feels so unambitious. How much better does it get? When does it pick up?

See paragraphs 2 and 3 of the main body of the review, which go into great detail about this exact point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
A good review for a good show. You were very spot-on Key about how unassuming the show is until the, aforementioned, Ban/King arc.

Really, for all the show's flaws and reliance on stock scenarios and cliches, it quickly broke down my critical defenses because how much love was put in the central cast's core chemistry between one another. As for Melodias, as far as mystery box characters go (considering we're supposed to be looking through the eyes of Elizabeth for all I care), he works. Much like how Vash from Trigun kept you always wondering with the odd yet admirable behavioral patterns.
The fanservice, as humor, can work because it sometimes plays off the scenarios inventively (Remember the giant mushrooms?).

It's good nostalgia for 90s shonen and, if this is an indicator of what Netflix's taste in anime is, they have a good grasp on solid crowdpleasing anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea it had a dub, did they even announce it, or just put it straight on Netflix. I didn't even know Netflix did dubs.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I had no idea it had a dub, did they even announce it, or just put it straight on Netflix. I didn't even know Netflix did dubs.

Well netflix doesn't do the dubs them selves I believe they got aniplex to do the dub for this show. But no they didn't say anything not even that they had it which was frustrating cause for the longest time all we had was a rumor with no idea if anyone had actually licensed it.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Bleh.

The first half was okay, second half got on my nerves.

It just turned into a let our powers combine to beat the bad guy type of show and everything got wrapped up a bit too neatly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2