• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Ghoul, the Bad, and the Ugly

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Paul Jensen wrote in the review:
Quote:
The script has to perform all kinds of narrative acrobatics and contortions to avoid or deflect awkward questions like, “Why don't these kids just get a blood test?”

Please Twins is set over a decade ago in rural Japan. It involves teenagers supporting themselves on part time jobs. I have to wonder just how readily available or affordable DNA testing would have been under those circumstances.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Getting a DNA test is brought up but at 100,000Y, way more than Maiku can afford. I'm puzzled how the reviewer could have missed that.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Quote:
Shuu, for example, never grows into more than a camp gay stereotype for the sake of tired comedy. This is a disappointing thematic oversight in a show that's otherwise all about empathizing with the oppressed and demonized.

Exactly. Turning who is arguably one of the most sympathetic characters in the manga at this point (really, Shuu is having some Kaneki-tier luck right now) into a complete joke is just insulting, especially when the manga has completely avoided this. All of the ghouls (and most of the humans) are victims of loss, abuse, tragedy, etc, and it also shows that redemption is possible for some of the more unruly and twisted characters, like Shuu and some of the members of Anteiku, but it's not guaranteed (as is the case with Mado). The anime willing to do this with some characters, but not one of the most important cases of this is pretty upsetting.

But overall, I can still say I really enjoyed the 1st season of the anime, as it was very entertaining. Really, most of the problems I have with the anime, including the above, lie with the 2nd season, and believe me when I say "not following the manga" isn't even among those problems.

But if the character Shuu in the first season is equal to the manga. You does not remember when Shuu to get excited is to look Kaneki alvino for first time and he calls it Badass or when you smell the handkerchief with blood Kaneki. The scene of "The Golden" was in the draft Ishida.

Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Considering I just re-watched all of Black Lagoon, and am going back through the manga, perhaps it is time to upgrade the dvd collection to BR. Might wait and gamble for Right Stuf to put it on holiday sale next month.

I just picked up the recent premium blu-ray because Black Lagoon was one of the few shows where I decided to double dip. I've had the DVDs since the original Geneon release, and I was thinking about picking up Funimation's combo pack when they announced the premium set. It seemed like a pretty good deal since I got it for about $60.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Everything said about please twins is pretty much spot on, and I still enjoyed it more than its spiritual precedessor.

Trending: DNA tests.

Seeing how this "resident expert" wondered about cell phones in what ever time period Please Teacher was set, I wasn't surprised by this one.

Or all three orphans are just loaded with money for such tests, aren't they?

Or the series never went on long enough for that to be an issue?

Or Maiku really secretly enjoyed the company? In the end, there were bigger problems in other shows I had to swallow. This one was nothing.

There are three shows in the Please franchise and Twins is the lesser of the two for him... I have no idea where he gets his information or opinions. He's not even very good at putting down the show accurately, the three live together, they all don't go on dates together as it's just the one. He also makes it sound like Miina and Karen are a potential couple as well.

And I thought the names were supposed to be like Mike, Mina and Karen because they are supposed to be somewhat light blue eyed foreigners? Maybe at the very least not blood locals?

Yes, having all three orphans own copies of the photo is a stretch... but as orphan plot trinkets go, it's not as bad as some.

Every show I watch, I challenge it to entertain me, I never think "I heard you are trash so prove me right." If I thought that, I never would have made it through Gilgamesh even if I wish I never even heard of it after the last episode.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Wait, isn't Tokyo Ghoul generally hated because it deviated from the manga and had an awful anime-original ending? And then had a whole second season continuing that anime original ending? I remember this show being panned for that as it was airing, but it seems since then that everyone loves it again now. I stayed away from it after seeing the initial outburst against it, but I guess I might have to give it a shot after all.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Wait, isn't Tokyo Ghoul generally hated because it deviated from the manga and had an awful anime-original ending? And then had a whole second season continuing that anime original ending? I remember this show being panned for that as it was airing, but it seems since then that everyone loves it again now. I stayed away from it after seeing the initial outburst against it, but I guess I might have to give it a shot after all.

There's a large, or at least vocal group, of manga fans that hate the show because it's not entirely faithful (which is only exacerbated by the 2nd season). That does not mean everybody dislikes the show. Just from my anecdotal experience, people who have never read the manga have a generally more positive take on the show. When the show was first airing and Hope was doing daily streaming reviews she gave it mostly favorable reviews and I'm pretty sure she never read the manga (or at least hadn't at that time). I've never read the manga and I was always a fan of the show when it was airing. Season 1 a bit more than season 2, but I never thought the show was terrible.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Director Shuhei Morita, who also storyboarded every episode, is a rising star.

Actually Morita storyboarded and directed episode 1 and 12.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I found onegai twins to be better than teacher, probably because I was nto as burden by the same jokes as I watched twins first.

and the fanservice isn't as heavy. kinda surprised its in the perishable and not at least in rental cause they could have easily have given the same fanservice if not more for onegai twins. hell they could have easily have make him romantically involved with his sister or have all three of them involved to amp up the fanservice. luckily they didn't otherwise people would definitely call it garbage. at least those like me who have no problem with ecchi style fanservice.

Quote:
While male voices in Japanese can be quite high (many male anime characters are even voiced by women) you can't do the same in English.
not entirely accurate. its also the same for the English dub too, though its usually 50/50. however its usually at the voice director's discretion to determine if a male or female VA is needed for that male character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

No, just the 2nd season was anime-original.

And being anime-original isn't a problem as long as it's good, but in this case, it wasn't. To say nothing of the fact that it goes back and forth between being faithful to the manga and not faithful so many times that it just ends up being a mess, it turns out it wasn't actually written by the mangaka at all despite how it was promoted. The production studio rejected the original drafts that Ishida wrote, and honestly they looked a lot more enjoyable.
bobob101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

The first season ending is the same as the ending of a specific chapter in the manga, the first season as a whole is a almost pure adaptation. The second season is when things have major divergences, but these divergences are more thematic than plot wise. The main events of the manga are translated to the adaptation, though several characters are eliminated from the adaptation because of time constraints. I personally greatly prefer the season two ending to the manga because spoiler[by NOT having Kaneki eat Hide and then be destroyed by Arima, this allows for the themes of humanity, sacrifice, and protection to come to a more fitting conclusion] Also, I firmly believe that when you watch all of Tokyo Ghoul a second time, the pacing issues are less present.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
Razor/Edge wrote:

I personally greatly prefer the season two ending to the manga because spoiler[by NOT having Kaneki eat Hide and then be destroyed by Arima, this allows for the themes of humanity, sacrifice, and protection to come to a more fitting conclusion]

spoiler[But Hide wasn't eaten by Kaneki. We don't know where he is right now, but he obviously wasn't eaten.]
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Seeing more people love Tokyo Ghoul is probably what's going to spur me into going back and rewatching Season 1. I got, for lack of a more suitable phrase, turned off by Tokyo Ghoul after finishing it off because there were moments where I went, "I wish there was more elaboration of blank."

I remember feeling very negative towards the anime leaping off of this small thing. An example of a point where I got lost on certain parts was when that crazy old guy says quinque like it's a thing and I went, "What?". Another example would be me not understanding how the government runs Ghoul extermination operations. Now, I can't see this as anything else other than Tokyo Ghoul having a narrative that you, the viewer, would have to watch and interpret the world as time is going by.

Hoenstly, looking back, I think TG was one of the series that I think must have spoiled me and solidified my fixed preference of a rainbow-like colour dynamic. My favorite parts of the series were seeing every Ghouls' appendages because a lot of them, including the weapons that the government used, were vastly different and thus, unique. That and well, the crazy chick from the beginning of the series. Just being honest Razz. Does she show up in Season 2 at all? Just asking.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Considering I just re-watched all of Black Lagoon, and am going back through the manga, perhaps it is time to upgrade the dvd collection to BR. Might wait and gamble for Right Stuf to put it on holiday sale next month.

I just picked up the recent premium blu-ray because Black Lagoon was one of the few shows where I decided to double dip. I've had the DVDs since the original Geneon release, and I was thinking about picking up Funimation's combo pack when they announced the premium set. It seemed like a pretty good deal since I got it for about $60.

My set is the original Geneon release as well. I got the nifty little cases that hold the multiple dvd in them. I almost got the newer complete dvd collection with the OVA but I opted to just get the OVA on dvd when it came out. I figured at some point a complete BR set would come out. And here we are heh. I figure even if Rightstuf doesn't put it on an even bigger sale I'll still get it at some point with some holiday purchases from them. Already eyeing up a few other items right now as I check the new stuff on their holiday sale daily.
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Paul Jensen wrote in the review:
Quote:
The script has to perform all kinds of narrative acrobatics and contortions to avoid or deflect awkward questions like, “Why don't these kids just get a blood test?”

Please Twins is set over a decade ago in rural Japan. It involves teenagers supporting themselves on part time jobs. I have to wonder just how readily available or affordable DNA testing would have been under those circumstances.

It might have been made a decade ago, but it wasn't set then. IIRC, the first season was set well after the manned mission to Mars had failed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3