• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime Gets December Special Featuring Rematch With Foxy Pirates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
the Foxy Pirates were pretty worthless, I don't know what they're thinking by bringing them back

then again you can say the same thing with buggy. both of them are worthless except as being comic relieves. at least coby and helmeppo have some meaning. personally they should just have used those two or even the vice admiral of the neo marines from the Z movie in the special, or better yet, a special telling on what the straw hats did during those two years. that is what fans in the japan forums was hoping the special was at least. especially for robin and zorro considering that she was with dragon all this time and something must have happened during zorro's training with hawkeye that cause him to lose his right eye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
This is great news! I was always hoping that the absolute worst part of the canon story would get even more terrible filler.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
This is great news! I was always hoping that the absolute worst part of the canon story would get even more terrible filler.

...this post is poetry.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

then again you can say the same thing with buggy. both of them are worthless except as being comic relieves. at least coby and helmeppo have some meaning. personally they should just have used those two or even the vice admiral of the neo marines from the Z movie in the special, or better yet, a special telling on what the straw hats did during those two years. that is what fans in the japan forums was hoping the special was at least. especially for robin and zorro considering that she was with dragon all this time and something must have happened during zorro's training with hawkeye that cause him to lose his right eye.

Don't worry about that.
You're never going to see important revelations, like extensive details on what the crew did during their training, appear before the manga shows it first.
That's not something Oda would give the go-ahead for and it would deny manga readers from seeing it as well.

AsherFischell wrote:

Except that this is not an anime episode, but a two-hour TV special that airs on a different day.

But reading is hard, isn't it?
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
I don't know why some of you are complaining. Its not like they replaced an anime episode with the special. You can choose to watch it or not.

It's a fun special nothing serious.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
This is not the first One Piece Winter Special. Last year winter had the "Episode of Chopper" special edition that commemorated the series 15th year of airing.

The website itself is what noted the special as the first winter special. In this case they must not be categorizing Episode of Chopper as a special since it was a "new edition" of a film from 2008. So we will not be changing that statement in the article.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

Don't worry about that.
You're never going to see important revelations, like extensive details on what the crew did during their training, appear before the manga shows it first.
That's not something Oda would give the go-ahead for and it would deny manga readers from seeing it as well.

not exactly. there are times where some stories that were meant to be in the manga didn't get a chance to cause of either financial strains or other reasons and as a result get shown as either movies or OVA specials. so it could be possible that those revelations might show as a filler episode or OVA special. especially considering that the manga is currently in the Zou arc and have no signs of anytime showing what they did in those two years apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
Very excited for this! Toei is honestly better at doing these specials, the TV show hasn't been that great for quite some time tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
bigivel wrote:
This is not the first One Piece Winter Special. Last year winter had the "Episode of Chopper" special edition that commemorated the series 15th year of airing.

The website itself is what noted the special as the first winter special. In this case they must not be categorizing Episode of Chopper as a special since it was a "new edition" of a film from 2008. So we will not be changing that statement in the article.

Looking at it, Episode of Luffy was also a Winter Special.

Note that what the website says is that this is the first "Completely original Winter TV Special", not just first "Winter TV Special".
Giving that both Episode of Luffy and of Chopper have material from the manga, they aren't completely original, but still winter TV Specials.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Very excited for this! Toei is honestly better at doing these specials, the TV show hasn't been that great for quite some time tbh.

I feel like we're watching 2 different shows every time I see these threads. The anime overall, and this current arc,is the best it's been in years.

Anyway, as for the special,eh,it doesn't affect the anime so I'm all good with it. And I've really enjoyed the last couple of specials.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Ugh.

It doesn't matter that it's a special and that it doesn't affect the regular timeslot. F off with that argument. They were given a budget and a timeslot and they squandered it on this shit instead of creating a thing that a majority of One Piece fans could enjoy watching.

Seriously, just... ugh.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of fans who would enjoy this and i'm one of them. You and some fans not liking this doesn't mean the entire fandom don't like it either.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
I would've preferred if this were filler. That way, the pacing of canon material wouldn't be completely cannonballed into flotsam.

Videogamep wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Did Toei forget that if it really wants to make a filler arc, there's a different pirate crew they could use that everyone wants to see? The Buggy Pirates. Come on guys. Who doesn't like Buggy-sama?

Buggy wouldn't work since the last few chapters implied that he's going to play a fairly important role later on. Toei probably doesn't want to mess with anything that might end up being important. That's why they love Foxy.

Even that, I'd bet, won't work: I suspect that Eiichiro Oda will bring back Foxy, as he has been skipped in every "where are they now?" segment. The most recently finished "From the Decks of the World" chapter title page sequence, for instance, covered Tonjit and Sherry but no one else from the Davy Back Fight arc. I am convinced there is something about Foxy that's being hidden from us, a lot like how the former CP9 agents were skipped because they had actually been promoted to CP0.

Foxy does seem to be a favorite of the filler writers though.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I would've preferred if this were filler. That way, the pacing of canon material wouldn't be completely cannonballed into flotsam.

this wouldn't effect the pacing of the anime even if it were in filler episodes.

one piece will be <= 1 chapter per episode until the manga ends (And even then i still feel like they'd drag it out)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Depends on how long the theoretical filler would be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3