• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'YouTube Red' Subscription Plan to Launch With Ad-Free Video, Offline Viewing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to nope this. Nope!

At least we know why it's called Red.

Hint: Check the bar on the bottom right of the video.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
This was a very VERY poor naming choice. Too close to Red Tube if you ask me...

That aside, interesting concept, though 10 dollars a month seems REALLY steep.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Charging for features that should have been implemented from the beginning? How unorthodox! (^o^) Forced ads is another issue altogether, but I really don't feel like getting into that one.

To go on a little tangent, we really have to come up with a new way of making money off of digital products. The current way of marketing treats digital products like actual physical goods, but worse. You don't even truly own what you buy.

Last edited by Actar on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Since the only feature that would really interes me would be the ad-free, which I already get at no cost from Ad-block, I'm gonna pass on this. Doesn't really sound like the features are particularly exciting, especially for that price. That's more expensive than Netflix or Crunchyroll basic memberships
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Fufu, boy...Spending $10 a month/$120 a year for services that should've been there from the start? Yep, there's no way I'm going to make use of YouTube's YT Red subscription plan, ever.

Couple that with the fact that I can already watch YouTube videos without ever having to worry about intrusive ads (thanks to AdBlock) and I have virtually no reason to use it.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
To go on a little tangent, we really have to come up with a new way of making money off of digital products. The current way of marketing treats digital products like actual physical goods, but worse. You don't even truly own what you buy.

There are options for owning what you buy (more prevalent in games like with GoG but certainly out there like Amazon MP3), but people these days just really love subscription bundles or as supported. No one seems to want a la carte own what you buy.

I'm sure that they are looking at the numbers showing teens much more interested in YouTube personalities than other media and celebrities and thinking that they can make this work.

Last edited by John Thacker on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
This was a very VERY poor naming choice. Too close to Red Tube if you ask me...

I had to read the article carefully to make sure that wasn't what this is about. It seems like somebody should have mentioned that when names were pitched. It seems like they risk upsetting people if they are searching for this, see a similar name, and get something they definitely weren't expecting.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I can see where this came from, so I somewhat understand, but I'm still in the "not signing-up for this" camp.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I already watch youtube videos without ads. It's pretty easy; use a browser that doesn't suck and gives you options.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
You'd think someone at Google would've caught the name. Maybe it was intentional?

Anyway, this seems like something they should have done 2-5 years ago, but the legality of permitting paid offline downloads might've been a big hiccup. As it is, third-party developers seemed to have produced numerous work-arounds for both the ads and video downloads. I don't see this hurting them, at least, but the success will probably depend on how polished and convenient they can make it. An easy way to do that is to make their current ads even more obtrusive.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
OMG I'm so psyched to pay to watch...a PewDeePie reality TV show? Well you couldn't pay me to watch that, but maybe...some Youtubers travel vlog? Oh wait, there's an original production in the list...about a youtuber trying to make it big. Really showing Netflex how it's done there, Google. I guess downloading vids (what production company is going to agree to that?) is cool. It's not like there are free 3rd party plugins & websites that already do that. Nope.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but laugh at all these popular YouTube channels flocking to this video asking what's going to happen to their money.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I really like the idea since it could provide more resources for well-known youtubers to make more and better videos. There are youtubers that, although their channels have millions of views, they don't really make much off their videos. For those saying that they're going to install adblock or pirate the premium videos, it really doesn't matter what you do. Youtube will still make a crazy amount of money off this idea.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
YouTube really does have dilemma on its hands. As a number of posts above prove, Ad Block and the ad-free freeloader culture it represents (my apologies if this comes across as an insult, but I can't think of any other way to describe using a commercial service without contributing to its bottom line - even when it only asks you to sit through a 30 second ad, if that) have taken a big bite out of online advertising revenue across the board. The company isn't profitable, and it's unfair to expect Google to keep it running in the red forever out of charity. But how can it make money after fostering a no-costs platform for all these years?

Last edited by ParkerALx on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
The ad-free addition for the plan is somewhat pointless if you have a browser that can utilize ad-blocker extensions since unlike Hulu, Youtube's player still runs if you make use of ad-blockers and you could even download the video content on the site with certain extensions as well. However, I imagine the less tech-aware folks could be suckered into buying something like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3