• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Edited-For-Television Versions Of Anime Get Preserved?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Nostalgia certainly does help. It's unlikely we'll see any company usher out shows that were simply sanitized of blood and language like Kenshin, but shows that were rewritten and/or edited together like the already mentioned Rock the Dragon box set for DBZ, Voltron, or Robotech are easily available to fans that grew up with them. That gives Cardcaptors a bit better chance of coming back someday than TV versions of Outlaw Star and Blue Submarine #6.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I remember I used to have legit VHS copies of Toonami's Tenchi Muyo edit, painted bikinis and referring to saké as "that kind of tea" and all. But that was Pioneer/Geneon so I have no idea if Media Blasters did the same for Kenshin

The other day, I also found my homemade VHS tape of 4kids' Magical DoReMi dub, that I tried to fit on as many episodes as I could in order because I had a feeling that their dub would never get a physical release. (sadly I was right)
along with a tape when I recorded Disney X.D.'s Digimon dub of the later movies, that also never reached any kind of release. I'm not much of a Digimon fan anymore, but because of it's rarity, I'm really hesitant to get rid of it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I doubt anyone would have a problem finding all 70 episodes of "Cardcaptors," the heavily-edited English version of Cardcaptor Sakura, floating around on YouTube.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
sailorsweeper wrote:
@Chito did the Spanish TV version of CCS have the extra scenesspoiler[ with the ghost of Sakura's Mother in Cloud card episode if you can remember since the edited English version did]

Yes, I've just checked it up, and she appears by the end of the episode. Is the same with the English version?

To be honest, I think the Spanish version that was broadcast back in the early 2000s in Cartoon Network was pretty good and was not edited as much as the first English version, in fact I think it wasn't edited at all. For example, the spoiler["yuri" love Tomoyo had for love Sakura] was well presented and well written, and in comparison with the original source, i.e. the Japanese version and the manga, you really get the same experience.[/spoiler]

the latin american dub of CCS was unedited and faithful to the japanese script,so there's no Nelvana's Cardcaptors bullshit in it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
Ahh, Pokémon: time to eat the doughnuts...or that ham-n-cheese sammich or that yummy sub.

"Jelly donuts are my favorite! Nothing beats a jelly filled donut." Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
I haven't heard it in any other language besides English and Japanese, but the English version was horrible.

Cardcaptor Sakura was only really bad in the English dub because it was utterly distilled to make it overly kid friendly. Never had a problem with the voice acting personally.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I wish the uncut dub of CCS was taken out and released if the masters still exist. Odds are though if they could they would have released it on the blueray. Just sucks knowing there's an uncut version out there somewhere.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
That's kind of a massive bummer to be honest. I know that I would be far more willing to lend certain anime series to my little siblings if I could get my hands on these edited versions.

Wow, has the pendulum turned! I remember when localization companies got lambasted at every corner for every little thing they did, and now you havw anime fans looking for these edited versions. Who would've predicted that back in the day?

Then again, you still have those a bit too quick to pull the trigger on something as minuscule as "ho-KAH-gay."

cookie wrote:
I suppose, academically, preservation of these videos could potentially give insight into how networks actually implemented their S&P with regards to what is considered acceptable material for children/teens (hence why Tenchi Muyo aired with swimsuits). Or maybe you could spin it as evaluating the marketing strategies of those companies (e.g. they're trying to sell advertising space to companies seeking young male viewers, so Card Captor Sakura became CardCaptors)....

Despite all that, however, there are still plenty of broadcasts which would have little or no academic value. You'd be hard pressed to justify preserving the first broadcast episode of Pokemon (which was episode#16 or something, but with slightly different intro/outro narration), or dubbing mistakes (e.g., several Pokemon episodes initially omitted dubbed lines despite having lip flaps), or editing oversights (e.g. Outlaw Star's Melfina sometimes was missing straps on her bikini on certain "safer" shots, rather than doing the needless editing to preserve continuity of her wardrobe).

The way I see it, nearly anything would have academic value. In addition to research on how standards-and-practice departments would edit content or ask to edit content, you can also use these to research the localization companies, the original anime studios, individuals working on these versions (I'm sure much can be written about Carl Macek or Haim Saban), or viewer reactions to these edited versions.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
"Jelly donuts are my favorite! Nothing beats a jelly filled donut." Laughing

Well, you can't expect kids to know what an onigiri is if they don't live in an area with strong Japanese presense...or even if they do. Or their parents for that matter. I suppose calling them "rice balls" or "balls of rice" would help, as I'm sure every American knows what rice is, though again, rice is used very differently in Japanese cooking than in American cooking, and the types of rice common to the Americas are too loose to form into balls.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Wow, has the pendulum turned! I remember when localization companies got lambasted at every corner for every little thing they did, and now you havw anime fans looking for these edited versions. Who would've predicted that back in the day?

Oh, I'm certain that I'm fairly unique in my interest in these "edited" versions. I'll admit that a lot of it is nostalgia, but I really would share these edited series with family and friends who are not as willing to watch shows with even the mild profanity or fan service that we often see as normal in our general anime consumption.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
And that's why it's good to save those tapes if you have them. While it's not anime, I still have my copy of "A Muppet Family Christmas" that I originally taped off the TV back in 1987, and I'm never getting rid of it because the official US DVD release cuts out something like five songs and two or three other scenes, all due to music rights issues.

I never taped any anime off TV, but I can see where it'd be useful for the original poster's situation, and I can think of a few shows where having edited versions would be nice to show my mom (though none of them were ever shown on TV in the US anyway, so it's a moot point). The one thing I do kinda wish I had a copy of was the fansub tape of Bastard!! that we used to watch in college. I have Geneon's old DVD version, of course, but the official subs just weren't as funny.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda too bad because I've been wanting to watch the Toonami version of Outlaw Star again just to see what was different (no "hot springs planet" episode for one, I'm sure)
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Series I know have edited versions available on home media:

Afro Samurai
Dragon Ball
Haganai NEXT
His and Her Circumstances
IGPX
Naruto
One Piece
Sailor Moon
Sankarea
Tenchi Muyo!
Vision of Escaflowne
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Yu Yu Hakusho[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Haganai NEXT

For what it's worth, FUNimation's release is the same as the Japanese home video version with the exception of only one still image. It is not the TV broadcast version.
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The only TV edit things I've ever been interested in would be things like the openings to shows like Escaflowne but at least those are archived on YouTube.

Props to you guys that still have tapes stored away somewhere. I used to have a good chunk of G Gundam and a few complete broadcasts of the Toonami block but those have been long lost by now.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me: While I don't have any censored anime on tape, I do have a few Looney Tunes shorts that were censored later, like one where Daffy Duck concludes the short landing next to Hitler making a speech. I don't think we have any of the outright banned shorts though.

A tape has also gone missing in our house that contains Donald and the Wheel, an obscure educational short film that, to my knowledge, has only ever been released on home video once. Donald in Mathmagicland is so very common and played in a lot of math classes, but Donald and the Wheel was its engineering counterpart and was so much better, if you ask me.

bj_waters wrote:
Oh, I'm certain that I'm fairly unique in my interest in these "edited" versions. I'll admit that a lot of it is nostalgia, but I really would share these edited series with family and friends who are not as willing to watch shows with even the mild profanity or fan service that we often see as normal in our general anime consumption.

I see. While I would love to have things available uncensored, I am not against censored versions for people who are uncomfortable otherwise but want to enjoy it. I'm sure you're not the only case, but yeah, I don't think I see too many such examples. I more often find the "if you can't tolerate that, then go watch something else!" line of thinking, which seems especially prevalent in video gaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6