• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - At What Point Are You No Longer A Fan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I really don't give a crap what other people think. I like anime, but it's only a small part of my interests. I don't keep up with new anime. I mostly stick with stuff like DBZ, Ranma, Sailor Moon, Slayers, Utena, YYH, Tenchi, Robotech, Miyu, Wicked City, Ghibli stuff, etc. I like older anime from the 80s/90s, and I stick to select shows that I'm already into. That's what I most associate with, and where my anime hobby lies. I'm open minded though. I do enjoy newer shows like Hellsing, Black Lagoon, Darker than Black, Kill la Kill, Attack on Titan, and Deadman Wonderland, but I still don't keep up with brand new shows. I'm sure there's some great stuff coming out, I'm just not interested. I do keep up with the voiceover scene though because, well... I'm into the entertainment industry. That's a whole other hobby of mine!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Though I admit to seeing most of my shows on copyright infringing-sites (despite having a CR and Funi account), one might start to no longer be a fan when they might not literally buy any legit anime/manga products or watch it only on copyright infringing sites.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't get into anime until about '97-'98.

I was mostly into American comic books before that and only had a very casual interest in anime. I had one of the first VHS releases of Akira and Lensman.

And, of course, I watched episodes here and there of Robotech, Voltron, Star Blazers, Speed Racer, and Battle of the Planets.

My first exposure to anime outside of North American broadcasts was a fandub of Dirty Pair in the late 80s produced by Pineapple Salad(?) Productions.

I discovered more anime titles at a convention in College Station, TX (AggieCon) where ADV had a booth and I bought a couple of VHS tapes of Dirty Pair Flash. I now spend more on anime DVDs than American comic books, which have mostly become kind of lame!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to be a snob but if we're really gonna get into a silly "who is a bigger fan" question here I'll go ahead and say this: I think less is quite often more when it comes to being an anime fan or a fan of anything for that matter. I mean you see these fans who live and breathe anime, right? They watch like twenty shows a season or something (usually because anime is all they watch). They go to all the cons they can. They're completely obsessed. They're also usually teenagers who've just gotten into anime in the last couple years. And honestly, they're mostly tourists. A few years down the road, 95% of those people will completely lose interest and move on to some new temporary obsession. Because that's really what it is. It's a very transient infatuation that only scratches the surface. I mean, Justin sorta alluded to this but they're super into anime because it is this new and exciting thing for them. I'll go a step further though and say they're more into the idea of anime than the actual content in itself. It also has a lot to do with the simple community aspect of being an anime fan. Are they actually that into anime as in the shows themselves? Eh...not that much. They watch 20 shows a season but consequently they actually remember few to none of them. It all just becomes a sea of cheap, disposable entertainment. Once the newness and community appeal wears off these are the people who burn out the quickest. Of course that's all fine. There's nothing wrong with this. They can have their fun. I'm not trying to be the guy who spoils it. But again, if we're going to raise the admittedly dubious question of who the biggest fans are...it ain't them. Not by a mile. This kind of short lived infatuation is pretty insubstantial compered to the kind of long term, more deeply rooted interest other fans have. People who consume vastly less but by virtue of being more discerning are the real "otaku" if you want to use that term. These are the people with true passion for anime itself. They truly get what makes anime great: It's not simply that this is new and different compared to American media (this applies to most shows). It's that there are some truly, genuinely amazing anime out there. Really appreciating those gems makes you way more of a serious, committed fan than this kind of surface level mass consumption ever could.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
My super-otaku phase was through college. At my height, I was known as the girl on campus who had plastered her entire dorm with pictures of Lelouch Lamperouge. (I'm rather proud of that to be honest.) This lasted maybe nine months after graduation while I was living in Japan, but then I really cooled off. When I started grad school, I rarely watched anime. Sure, I still had my favorites and a few figures on my desk, but nothing like it was back in college. That break lasted for about three years, and now in the last year or so I've been getting more into fandoms again. (I blame this entirely on Haikyuu!! and Yowapeda.) Even then, I don't think I'll ever go back to that otaku-state. I enjoy being a fan, but it's not the only interest in my life. Maybe part of it just comes with age? Meh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
thecritter wrote:
I really think that saturation is a large part of the problem. I'm old; my first encounters with anime were as a preteen in '62-63 (Magic Boy in the theaters, and then Astro Boy on TV).

Dude, you are literally an old-school fan. Those are some of the earliest modern anime titles.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Are they actually that into anime as in the shows themselves?

What the blazes are you talking about? Of course they are into anime when it comes to the shows. Certainly more than someone who only watches one show a year.

ikillchicken wrote:
People who consume vastly less but by virtue of being more discerning are the real "otaku" if you want to use that term.

Riiiiight. So someone who spends maybe five hours a week on watching and talking about and thinking about anime, and who considers anime as a minor hobby, is more of an otaku than someone who spends forty hours a week doing the same things and for whom anime is a major part of their life. Yeah, sure, that makes soooo much sense.

ikillchicken wrote:
It's that there are some truly, genuinely amazing anime out there. Really appreciating those gems makes you way more of a serious, committed fan than this kind of surface level mass consumption ever could.

Newsflash: it is possible to watch ninety-plus shows a year and to appreciate the good stuff. In fact, it is finding those gems that make being a fan worth it.

----------

Jeez man, your whole post comes off as bizarrely divorced from reality.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
They watch 20 shows a season but consequently they actually remember few to none of them. It all just becomes a sea of cheap, disposable entertainment.

I feel anime is about more quantity than quality anymore. True, we get some diverse shows but art styles are way, way less diverse than they used to be. Everything just kind of blends together in a haze.

Maybe it's my American mind too but I'm getting really, really sick of these light novel / VN adaptations with huge, long japanese titles. Titles themselves used to be very simple. You'd ask "Hey have you seen Cowboy Bebop/Trigun/Evangelion/DBZ/Slayers", etc. Now we get shows called "My little sister can't possibly be this cute," or "Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?" Worst I've seen was "My mental choices are completely interferring with my school romantic comedy" O__o Western editors who tend to prefer brevity would be tearing their hair out if they saw a title like that.

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
My rate of watching anime shows has slowed to a crawl in recent weeks, but I still remain a dedicated anime fan. I plan on watching an OVA tomorrow to get myself back into the groove.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I even qualify as a casual fan anymore. I still read a fair amount of manga but lately (as in the last couple years) I can't even manage to finish a 12 ep. series unless I'm basically "forced" to by virtue of watching with friends (which I actually have been lately, interspersed with Asian dramas & tokusatsu). Even when a show sounds like something that would interest me, I tend to watch the first 3-5 eps and then start passing over it in favor of something else until it's no longer fresh and I just stop caring about the story. I just don't get excited about anime series like I used to. And it's not only a lack of enthusiasm but I actually find so much of it tedious or downright unpleasant, though in that case it definitely helps if there're others present for running commentary (my viewing group is watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya right now, the first time for 3/4 of us, and it's like pulling teeth quite honestly). Strangely enough I've been watching live action dramas for almost as long and have yet to burn out even though I've clocked waaay more viewing hours on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hey now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a solidly written show. But yeah, I don't see why people go so nuts over it, or at least more so than The Simpsons during its heyday (which has far greater cultural impact).

I don't think it's a bad show, it's just not the sort of thing you'd expect the boisterous masculinity brigade to latch onto. It seemed like they wanted to use it as an opportunity to like something feminine for a change, but they never really accepted it for what it was (well-written and progressive but still primarily intended for little girls) and just sort of re-interpreted it to be less "girly," so it didn't change their mindset that much.

Most American anime fans seem to follow a pattern of: show reaches critical mass of popularity, usually because it has cool gimmicks and badassery and/or blatant fanservice -> become simultaneously overenthusiastic about and irreverent towards said show -> show ends, popularity quickly dies if it hasn't already and they look for their next target. Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill were the major ones of the past couple years, but there's minor mobbings in between; right now I guess it's Monster Musume and Food Wars. Maybe School-Live because of the subversiveness and, more importantly, spoiler[the zombies]. I think this part of the fandom is mainly in it for the social aspect, not the anime itself, because their reaction to any given show is always essentially the same, seemingly so they'll have inevitable camaraderie with the tons of other people in the group.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Like thecritter I loved anime from Astro-Boy on TV and I may be more of an otaku now than then but probably I am a fan as I only watch the occasional show, those that are really different or "best of the best" according to other fans. But I think the point where you are no longer a fan is when you stop watching anime/reading manga for years and years and either lose all interest and go over to another medium or lose taste for the variety of storytelling that draws people to anime/manga. In that sense, the poster and everyone here are fans of varying degrees (maybe not poonk though from his post), those that "don't give a carp" aren't.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
It sounds like a fad in naming these visual novels. All of the ones with long titles are comedies to some extent or another, and I think these authors think an intentionally long name is funny.

Lili-Hime wrote:
I know the 'queer' thing has become an umbrella term for people who don't fit into traditional heterosexuality, but I still find it insulting. Maybe I was raised to think that way, who knows. It denotes strangeness or oddness when to me at this point in my life homosexuality is just as natural and normal as heterosexuality is to straight people.

And yeah, I know that sometimes, whenever a group appropriates a slur, there will be people in that group who are still uncomfortable with it. But I think the intent was to remove the negative connotations associated with these words (even though I've met some people determined to try to make them offensive again, or worse, use innocent words as slurs).

I also personally believe that everybody is strange in their own way. I feel no shame in being called strange or weird. Besides, a word's meaning will shift once enough people use it in a different sense for a long enough time. That's what happened with the words "terrific" and "hippopotamus."

ikillchicken wrote:
I don't want to be a snob but if we're really gonna get into a silly "who is a bigger fan" question here I'll go ahead and say this: I think less is quite often more when it comes to being an anime fan or a fan of anything for that matter. I mean you see these fans who live and breathe anime, right? They watch like twenty shows a season or something (usually because anime is all they watch). They go to all the cons they can. They're completely obsessed. They're also usually teenagers who've just gotten into anime in the last couple years. And honestly, they're mostly tourists. A few years down the road, 95% of those people will completely lose interest and move on to some new temporary obsession. Because that's really what it is. It's a very transient infatuation that only scratches the surface. I mean, Justin sorta alluded to this but they're super into anime because it is this new and exciting thing for them. I'll go a step further though and say they're more into the idea of anime than the actual content in itself. It also has a lot to do with the simple community aspect of being an anime fan. Are they actually that into anime as in the shows themselves? Eh...not that much.

Someone who becomes obsessed with one thing, then moves on shortly afterwards to become obsessed with something else, I'd say, is not so much into the idea of anime than that they crave novelty. They're always looking for new experiences and bore of things quickly.

I knew someone who was like this. One month, he was into studying time travel. The next, he was into competitive yo-yoing (but was never any good at it). The moment he changed hobbies, he dismissed the previous one as shameful and embarrassing. But really, he was just always looking for something he'd never experienced before. He was also astonished that I could be into the same thing for years at a time, as he considered his fleeting interest as normal.

kotomikun wrote:
I don't think it's a bad show, it's just not the sort of thing you'd expect the boisterous masculinity brigade to latch onto. It seemed like they wanted to use it as an opportunity to like something feminine for a change, but they never really accepted it for what it was (well-written and progressive but still primarily intended for little girls) and just sort of re-interpreted it to be less "girly," so it didn't change their mindset that much.

Most American anime fans seem to follow a pattern of: show reaches critical mass of popularity, usually because it has cool gimmicks and badassery and/or blatant fanservice -> become simultaneously overenthusiastic about and irreverent towards said show -> show ends, popularity quickly dies if it hasn't already and they look for their next target. Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill were the major ones of the past couple years, but there's minor mobbings in between; right now I guess it's Monster Musume and Food Wars. Maybe School-Live because of the subversiveness and, more importantly, spoiler[the zombies]. I think this part of the fandom is mainly in it for the social aspect, not the anime itself, because their reaction to any given show is always essentially the same, seemingly so they'll have inevitable camaraderie with the tons of other people in the group.

I spent about two years trying to figure out what it is that made Friendship Is Magic take off as it is, considering Hasbro has never been able to get that lightning in a bottle since. From what I've researched, it seems to be a perfect storm of critical backlash before the series even came out, 4chan taking a liking to it (and they can make something viral like no one else), The Hub marketing it aggressively (way more than Littlest Pet Shop, their most obvious attempt at trying it again), it coming out at a time when most American animation was getting more disturbing and cynical (think Flapjack, Chowder, Bionicle, and Ugly Americans), it having a protagonist who is undoubtedly a geek and proud of it right when geek-chic was taking off, and Lauren Faust's reputation for creating girl-centric writing with sizable male demographics (considering she's already done this with The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, but not to this much of an extent). In other words, this show was incredibly lucky and came out at the exact best time.

I definitely think there is definitely a strong social aspect to anime fandom in the United States right now. It's my best explanation as to the growing convention attendance. It's a feeling of belonging. And humans really, really want to feel like they belong somewhere, being social animals and all. Some people watch anime because their friends are watching it. Some people watch anime so they can have something to discuss.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Newsflash: it is possible to watch ninety-plus shows a year and to appreciate the good stuff. In fact, it is finding those gems that make being a fan worth it.

Please quote for me the part of my post where I said anything to the contrary. Obviously you can watch a ton of stuff and still appreciate the good stuff. But it's that latter part that really matters. This is my whole point. The sheer quantity you consume is pretty meaningless.

dtm42 wrote:
What the blazes are you talking about? Of course they are into anime when it comes to the shows. Certainly more than someone who only watches one show a year.

I don't see it that way. Not inherently. It really depends on your motivation. If you watch a ton of shows but only because you're pretty new to anime and everything is new and fresh and different...eh, your interest is really very surface level and insubstantial. Of course the same can be true of people who watch very little. I mean, if you only watch one show a year not because you want to hold out for something excellent but because you're just not very into anime in general then obviously you're not that big of a fan. Again though this is my whole point. Sheer quantity is really a terrible indicator.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I knew someone who was like this. One month, he was into studying time travel. The next, he was into competitive yo-yoing (but was never any good at it). The moment he changed hobbies, he dismissed the previous one as shameful and embarrassing. But really, he was just always looking for something he'd never experienced before. He was also astonished that I could be into the same thing for years at a time, as he considered his fleeting interest as normal.

Yep. Although I think this also applies to slightly less fickle people. They may not change hobbies every month but they're insanely into anime for a few years and then they loose interest completely. For instance, I knew a guy in highschool. He was actually the guy who got me into anime. He was the hugest otaku or so it seemed. He watched a ridiculous amount of stuff. Way more than me. And not just the big name TV airing stuff of the day. Everything he could get his hands on. He was also a huge Japanophile. Guess what though? We're near on a decade later at this point and I'm still watching anime. Whereas he wasn't a year or so out of highschool before he just kinda lost interest and moved on.
Nosehair

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
over the course of around 5 years i went through a period of watching all the "best anime" that had come out, when i slowly got to 3/4 of that list i started watching airing anime, then i watched alot of airing anime, then i tried to watch all of the airing anme i liked which was about 5 then i got burned out and stoppped for 6 months. i read a manga called berserk. i watched the anime. then i watched more anime.

im currently watching 20 series and the list is growing. basically Guts was so strong he cleaved my anime burnout in half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5