• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 23-Foot Long Miia Comiket Pillow Sells Out in 1 Hour

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Lol Japan.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I love how over dramatic some people on this board are and how skewed their perceptions are. If you bother looking at real news, you would see a girl who was raped at ten was forced to give birth at 11 in Urugay, or an explosion in China killed dozens and harmed 100s.

But oh know, some harmless otaku bought some oversized people cases. That is the series business.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
$805 pillow sold in 1 hour....... and I'm here struggling to pay my college tuition Anime cry
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I love how over dramatic some people on this board are and how skewed their perceptions are. If you bother looking at real news, you would see a girl who was raped at ten was forced to give birth at 11 in Urugay, or an explosion in China killed dozens and harmed 100s.

But oh know, some harmless otaku bought some oversized people cases. That is the series business.

Now, now; this is a website (primarily) devoted to anime news -- and this article isn't a news piece at all, but rather, an interest piece. With all due respect (and no disrespect implied) may I suggest going to www.npr.org for, ah, more serious discussion.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I thought they were just selling the pillow case, but I guess if it comes with a pillow, then the price isn't so unreasonable.
Still, that's a lot of pillow.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It then brags about the pillow's softness ("like a marshmallow") and how it can completely envelop you, making it far warmer than other hug pillows.

Why would you need to be warmed up? It's August in the northern hemisphere.

classicalzawa wrote:
I love how those dudes carrying the body pillow just look so accomplished that they have spent $800 on a pillow. With this look "it's ramen for the next year, but I have my waifu!" Only in Japan. And for the ten people here who are sure to import one for whatever reason.

Is it just the pillowcase, or do they give you a pillow too? I thought it was just the pillowcase, which could then be folded up to be much more compact, but they're carring a full pillow out of the building.

Cerceaux wrote:
It's only a matter of time before we have a transparent, gel-filled, slime girl body pillow.

Well, it can be a water-pillow of some sort. It may be even more expensive than this one though.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
It just gets me, all these detractors insulting the very fans who make anime possible. It is quite possible to believe that Japanese fans would willingly spend that much money on a pillow. After all, they are the same fans that spend hundreds of dollars for a couple episodes of their anime religiously. While it is the blood, sweat, and tears of the animators that make anime; the true source of the anime river begins with the fans willing to spend hundreds on their anime.

I am not saying you have to bow down and worship them as gods, but at the very least, do not bite the hand that feeds you.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Heh some people have too much money than sense. Smile

That's 2 PS4s or 2 anime Japanese boxsets!

Then again, those 4 dudes could all share the pillow together at the same time!

itachi06103570 wrote:

I'm good on the pillow I don't need to have something that looks,sounds, and feels like a really bad investment. If I'm 50 and have this pillow I couldn't even explain to the kids and grandkids why I got this they'll look at me like I lost my @#% mind when I bought this.

If ya bought this pillow, ya wouldn't have to worry about having grandkids. Twisted Evil
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh some people have too much money than sense. Smile

That's 2 PS4s or 2 anime Japanese boxsets!

Then again, those 4 dudes could all share the pillow together at the same time!

As a pinball fan, I have to say that you can get an old vintage classic pinball machine in excellent condition for US$805. Often less than that. You know, the ones that make those iconic bells and chimes. Pre-WWII even. Heck, there are a few modern ones that sell that low in good condition.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Actar wrote:
...on a side note, does anyone know where I could find a site that collates all the info for what is being sold at Comiket in terms of official merchandise? That would be phenomenal.

Even if only limiting it to the commercial area, do you know how many booths there are? (if taking it in total, just the BOOTH listing is a phonebook sized book) Take a large western anime convention (one with at least 10k+ people and look at their dealers room. That's the "commercial" area at Comiket. Granted, each vendor probably has a smaller VARIETY of items, but its still a LOT of stuff.

Er, ANN did great guides for previous Comikets... Also, the Industry Booth listings come in a very, very thin magazine of about 30 pages. Circle listings come in the phonebook sized book.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else think it was a bacon pillow?
hausenmasters

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
Nice. I would be way to afraid of social repercussion to buy something like this. There are some really bad people out there.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
Oh. So that's how you use it.

But still $805 jeezus where do they pull the cash from.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
So, in a nation with a big aging population and a low birth rate, they resort to a body pillow from a series that is about resisting the temptation of attractive women that would be interspecies relationships.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Oh. So that's how you use it.

But still $805 jeezus where do they pull the cash from.

A full set of BDs costs between $700-1300 depending on if it's standard edition, LE, or even a higher end LE with a game for example in Japan. This is cheaper than a full set of LE BDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4