• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Are Anime Fans Obsessed with Steven Universe?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
I am really not seeing the Evangelion or Gurren Lagann references. Plus if it references Utena it gives me a reason not to watch it. Well, more of a reason, the Nostalgia Critic praising this series while calling Godzilla The Series "bad" in the same editorial was what convinced me more than anything.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
People keep telling me to watch this and so far I've steadfastly refused. Need to add this site to the list.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
While I give the show props for being unabashed with its anime references, I REALLY don't think the vast majority of SU fans (who are also anime fans) are such BECAUSE of those references. In fact, this really is the FIRST time I've ever heard anyone really connect the two. The Utena connection seems appropriate though, since the overlap from those two fandoms is probably very near 100%.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I am really not seeing the Evangelion or Gurren Lagann references. Plus if it references Utena it gives me a reason not to watch it. Well, more of a reason, the Nostalgia Critic praising this series while calling Godzilla The Series "bad" in the same editorial was what convinced me more than anything.

That was pandering of the worst sort.

More reason to avoid it.
maoyen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
The new Otaku obsession is "star Vs. The Forces of Evil".

So far I'm really enjoying this show. For a Cartoon Network series, they deal with some surprisingly deep issues (loss, abandonment...). One of the better cartoons on TV right now.

EDIT
I forgot, the show also has really great songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsDUVGJ_jAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ppeymBvt7U

Last edited by maoyen on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

That was pandering of the worst sort.

More reason to avoid it.

You can't 'pander' when your show is more popular then any of those other shows could hope to be in your region. Anime is niche, Steven Universe in mainstream. They are loving in-joke/references from creator fans.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
OK... I might have to cave and watch this show now. Or at least try it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
No, the Nostalgia Critic is pandering. And I would argue Universe is less mainstream than say, Rick and Morty (forever and ever). Then again, Rick and Morty is good.
mysticnightworldgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
I would also like to point out that the second season opening is similar to the pokemon intro

http://youtu.be/NQPK3rAcgZY
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
No, the Nostalgia Critic is pandering. And I would argue Universe is less mainstream than say, Rick and Morty (forever and ever). Then again, Rick and Morty is good.

Rick & Morty is way less mainstream then Universe, it airs on a late night channel for adults. Universe airs on a kids channel on prime time. There are automaticly going to be more eyeballs on it.

That said, Rick and Morty is also amazing. Rick & Morty, Venture Bros, Archer, and Steven Universe are probably my favorite shows right now.

Korra would have been on that list too, but its over now.

EDIT: And yes, Nostalgia Critic is pandering. His entire shtick is based on referencing other things. Steven Universe is more then that. If Steven Universe is pandering for referencing Gurran Lagann, then Gurran Lagann is pandering for being so heavily influenced by Getter Robo.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Love the show, it's always fun when they pull a weeb joke but much like gravity Falls I'm more into it for the characters and how they execute their narrative.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Washougal_Otaku wrote:
To be honest, some of these examples are a bit far-fetched. I think many anime fans that like Steven Universe feel the way they do simply because it's different than most other American cartoons. Sure, there's parodies, whoopdy-doo; I seriously doubt that most fans caught them, or were aware of what the references were.

I would also like to point out that not all anime fans like Steven Universe. Personally, I hate the show. Nothing about it is appealing to me. I would put it in the same "Made from garbage" category as Regular Show, Adventure Time, and SpongeBob.

Agreed on all of this. This show is trying way too hard to imitate anime and it's just plain nauseating. I honestly don't get what people see in it. It's obnoxious, and it tries to be an attention-seeker with its "look it's like anime but it's still a U.S. show" moments.

Megas XLR is a much better example of a U.S.-made cartoon that paid homage to anime, but went about it in a much more subtle way.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Well, more of a reason, the Nostalgia Critic praising this series while calling Godzilla The Series "bad" in the same editorial was what convinced me more than anything.

Why people place so much emphasis on that bozo's reviews I'll never know.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Rick and Morty had a guest spot on The Simpson's. People watch that. With kids toons, it feels like any remaining US action animation was killed, not by anime, but by The Flash and Arrow.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched much of the show, and certainly not enough to see anything written about in the article since it always seems like this show is on when I'm either not home or was already planning on doing something else.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:

But he has a MOUTH and it TALKS with DIALOGUE! AND PLOT AND CHARACTERS AND CHARACTERS AND PLOT! Razz At least he's better than Plnikett (who made those awful prequel and KotCS "reviews") and Blockbuster Buster (he brings the most generic and parroted opinions out there and attacks Michael Bay for no reason, his Dracula Untold review is a perfect example of this). Kind of a side note, but critics these days really need to stop this "only plot characters matter" meme, a lot more effort goes into other aspects IE lighting, camera work, editing, pacing, special effects, sound effects and mixing, music, tones, and design. It's like judging a painting and only concentrating on one corner and basing your entire opinion around that when a normal person takes in the whole picture. Yes, how dare the mid and late 90s try a new special effect that brought audiences joy at the time, surely that was a dark age of cinema and not the World Wars that caused many to be lost forever! /sarcasm
Just-another-face wrote:

This one I can answer: Nobody counters what he or other critics say. Nobody makes elaborate vehicles smacking Honest Trailers in the face saying "some of us liked Spider-Man and X-Men 3", nobody calls out CinemaSins for calling Lockdown a Decepticon, nobody calls out Philous for leaving out the last 15 minutes of Octopus in his review, nobody points out to Ben The Sage that Garzey's Wing is a spinoff of Dunbine and most of his questions were answered there, nobody tells the Blockbuster Buster that Dracula Untold is meant to start a Universal Horror cinematic universe, nobody calls out and makes a counter video defending that which gets slammed in rants these people make, most just nod their heads going "yup, sure". When you let an opinion go unopposed then very few people will question it if the presentation looks nice enough. Don't be afraid to be the guy that gives slammed movies perfect scores and vice versa, be the bear that eats the sheep, the wolf, and the shepard dog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20