• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show -The Worst Anime of All Time

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I actually saw this panel at Anime North a couple months back. Really funny stuff, especially Twinkle Nora Rock Me which drew the most laughs out of me and has since been a favorite to show unsuspecting people.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I haven't seen a lot of "bad" anime, but if I had to say, my personal least favorite show would be Deadman Wonderland. It's one of the more snooze-worthy things I've seen. Future Diary is probably objectively worse, but I can never hate it in spite of all the awful horrible things it does.

You know what annoys me? People who can't tell the difference between what they like and what is good. They live in their own little bubble where the world revolves entirely around their preferences. They cannot see others opinions and believe that only theirs matters. It's an immature, pretentious, and DESTRUCTIVE attitude, and I've seen several people here display it.

I think this quote describes these people the best:

Quote:
Okay, I've read your script, and it's r******d. You should just use it for toilet paper. Nobody likes car chases anymore, and your c****y jokes make Arnold look like Shakespeare. You thought that sh*t was funny? Oh, the love scenes were good. I always knew you were gay.

I don't care what they like, but if all they can do is whine, then I won't take them seriously until they grow up. That's why my opinion on Michael Moore is so low. (No, I don't care what he talks about- he'd still be an idiot regardless of what side of an issue he stands upon.)
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
TrustTheFungus wrote:
The Isshoni Training series deserves mention. 40 minutes of watching a girl sleep. What is wrong with me?

Haha I was the same watching those, just cannot put into words my thoughts on those, didn't find them bad though, just... different?

If I don't like an anime then for me it's bad, if I hate an anime then it's godawful, if I want to punch the TV and rip my eyes out then chances are it's Kill la Kill or Inferno Cop. Obviously take into account lots of factors but enjoyment is the main one as it should be really.

So those two aside special mentions to the Tamagotchi movie, Hero Bank, Oreca Battle and Kick Heart among many others. I know the first 3 are aimed at kids but my god were they painful to watch.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
This two "masterpieces"
anime#16676
anime#15807

I'm actually surprised no one mentioned Fuun Ishin Dai Shogun before. It's the first time I've been unable to finish the first episode of a series.
sillykeronian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

If you liked Bakemonogatari, chances are, you'll still like Nisemonogatari, even though it's definitely the "worst" in the series. From what we know, NisiOisin, the original novel writer, was trying his best to write in as many weird fetishes as possible. Not necessarily realistic fetishes, but creative awkward fetishes that made no sense to anyone but him. If I may say from several of his previous works, he tends to take his "creativity" a bit far when experimenting in his series. However, it's still clever, albeit uncomfortable to some people, and that's the value I get from things like the toothbrush scene and the drinking from a finger scene. Watch Nisemonogatari with no fear. Focus on what you liked in Bake because it's still there. Once Nise is over, just move onto the rest. Frankly, the stuff after Nise is my favorite anyway because it explores and plays with its characters in ways that even Bakemonogatari wouldn't dare to do. And there's plot progression throughout. Nekomonogatari (Black), which is the next thing after Nisemonogatari, is my favorite part of the series, even though I dislike the heroine character it focuses around as a person.

Oh, thank you! I really appreciate your insight! That makes me feel better about watching it, then Very Happy

I'm really glad to hear that, fundamentally at least, they both have the same things I like so that's a definite plus! And, who is the heroine for Neko? Hanekawa?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This is the first year in many that I have not been at Otakon. Every year that I am though 2 panels I HAVE to get to are The Worst Anime and the Craziest Kills panels. Those 2 are always booked and full to the max. You have to get in line at least an hour early if not 90 minutes. They are worth it though.

I have to say though after seeing some of the titles posters here have put down as the worst they've seen if they've ever been to one of Mike's panels. I feel like some of you would change your tune instantly if you sat through one of two of these panels and saw the utter gems that he finds. I once thought I had seen the worst anime ever....and then I discovered how woefully wrong I was. Shocked Though I do maintain Angel Cop and Battle Arena Toshinden are pretty bad none the less.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Some of the worst things I've seen...

Well, we can start with Pupa, which I'm surprised no one's even mentioned yet.

Keitai Shoujo (Cell Phone Girl), besides being poorly animated, was a fabulous example of how not to make an adaptation. Basically it just assumed anyone watching it had already played the game it was adapting, so it did nothing to explain the plot, or really even bother to introduce the characters properly, let alone flesh them out in any way. I had to go read up about it on Wikipedia afterward just to make any sense out of what I'd seen.

Jigoku Youchien (Hell Kindergarten). A crowdsourced comedy anime, made with Flash, that has a grand total of like two backgrounds and the character "animation" consists of the characters jiggling a little bit whenever they start talking. Most of the jokes aren't that funny either.

Run=Dim. Start with a painfully generic frame story involving teenage mecha pilots, a factional war, and a vaguely anti-nuclear theme that never really goes anywhere, add a terrible generic romantic subplot where the wimpy/indecisive MC has women from both factions lusting after him and trying to get him (or keep him) on their side, and then render everything in early 00's CG animation, so that every episode looks like you're watching cut scenes from a Playstation 2 game. That's this pile of trash in a nutshell.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The worst anime I've ever seen is probably either Vampire Wars or Psychic Wars, two early 90's movies from Toei. Just everything about them is so incredibly awful with virtually no redeeming value whatsoever.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The worst anime I've ever seen is Virus Buster Serge, an anime that combines Bubblegum Crisis, Evangelion, and clumsy, pretentious, ham-fisted naval-gazing.

I described its convoluted dialogue and needless overreaching symbolism as "It's like if Grant Morrison teamed up with Chiaki Konaka to adapt Finnegans Wake into a movie directed by David Lynch".

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I've seen very much truly "bad" anime, since once I hear something is that crappy I avoid it like the plague. I get no pleasure from sampling truly terrible media, unlike many. (Aside from Sharknado...that was legitimately entertaining to me for some reason.)

That said, I can name a couple anime that literally put me to sleep. Being THAT boring is a pretty bad offense in my books.
Record of Lodoss War - I normally looove fantasy anime, but I rented this one from Blockbuster when I was a teen to watch with friends during a sleepover, and we all passed out after a few episodes. I don't remember much aside from it being booooring. Maybe I'll like it more as an adult, but it was definitely a sleepover fail.

Metropolis - Also a sleepover fail rented from Blockbuster. I'm pretty sure I was the only person still awake and watching this movie at the end....everyone else passed out halfway through.

We certainly rented some interesting schlock for sleepovers back in the day, but most of those were at least entertaining as a group-watch as we snarked and ate snacks. But putting us to sleep? Ugh. Terrible.

Last edited by Wingbeats on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
TrustTheFungus wrote:
The Isshoni Training series deserves mention. 40 minutes of watching a girl sleep. What is wrong with me?
You have a low tolerance for lack of stimulation. There's nothing wrong with Hinako, this is just the male human equivilent of the "cat entertainment" video of a few years ago showing two hours of close-ups of small birds. I could watch a cute girl in shorts sleep for hours, and have in this instance. I agree that people not confuse opinion with objective criticism though. On that note, I'll preface by saying that I don't watch "bad anime" so the worst I have seen is Speed Racer. While I remember it fondly and it did have redeeming qualities, technically it was the worst animation. So many still shots and two-frame "animation" (for chim-chim) and the quintessential "dialog" of Speed saying "Ugh, UUgh, UUAUGHHH!!
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The Blazblue: Alter Memory Anime is one of the worst for me.

Badly animated and really missing in many aspects and only focused in Ragna, Noel and Jin's roles in CT and CS. While the others didn't do anything major.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I gave Spectral Force my first 1/10 ever after spoiler[they killed the dark elf.] Irredeemable. Everything else I've rated so low were at least 2/10s.

I'm also a glutton for punishment or something because I'm kind of fond of Odin and I like Genma Taisen for its great color work and detailing even if the story is a jumbled mess. Oddly, poor anime DOES improve if you watch in it higher quality, especially if you're moving from a shitty old dub to a good stereo Japanese audio track. I wouldn't dare dream of watching either of these films in English.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Though I do maintain Angel Cop and Battle Arena Toshinden are pretty bad none the less.

Never seen the former, but I thought the latter was just meh.
Quote:
The worst anime I've ever seen is probably either Vampire Wars or Psychic Wars

If this was 2010 I might be agreeing with you, but I have seen so many other bad titles since then it that they're barely worth noting, I found Vampire Wars worse due to the cliffhanger ending.
Quote:
I feel like some of you would change your tune instantly if you sat through one of two of these panels and saw the utter gems that he finds.

Either I've seen these "gems" or they'd be on my backlog. Wink
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The worst anime I've ever seen, I saw in the theatre (perhaps because I won't sit through a full episode of bad anime in my living room):

Lensman (I wasn't that much of a fan of the E.E. "Doc" Smith original material, but the anime managed to strip out all the good parts of it)

Tamala 2010: A punk cat in space. So awful that even this devoted Pynchon fan snoozed through its Crying of Lot 49 reference. Thank heaven the promised sequels were never made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15