• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Teases E3 Announcements with Chrono Trigger Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XSp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
It's Chrono Trigger! For mobile. Free to play. You pay 5 bucks for every 20 minutes of gameplay. HURRAA
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Don't tease me with Chrono Trigger, Square. Don't ever tease me. Don't get my hopes up to dash them.

Unless you're releasing some actual CT sequel or 3D graphics version, don't tease me. I bought the DS port. I love the DS port.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Metalraptor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering the fact that this is Square Enix we're talking about, I'm already prepared for a huge let down. Rolling Eyes
But if they actually did decide to continue the Chrono series, I would gladly save up my money for whichever console it comes out on.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I wonder if the new Front Mission will be unveiled even if it's just a tech demo, Luminous Arc was revived and got a spiritual successor, SaGa was revived and got a spiritual successor as well, time for Front Mission to return in full SRPG glory and if a spiritual successor can be made then make it.

i would love to see a new front mission game that plays in a similar way to valkyria chronicles... turn-based but the player given full control of their mech... grid-based sjrpgs were great for the time, but i feel like that would be too restricting for a modern re-imagining of the franchise.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Frogs Theme. Will know it till the day I die.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
KH9: A trailer =/= the game.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
It's been nearly 15 years since Chrono Cross released. At this point, Square Enix has already dropped the ball, and deflated it. I honestly don't see them actually putting the time, effort, and money into a new game in the series. I'd love to be surprised, but I just don't think it'll happen. If anything, it'll most likely be another port of the original. What a shame.
Yause

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
It's been nearly 15 years since Chrono Cross released. At this point, Square Enix has already dropped the ball, and deflated it. I honestly don't see them actually putting the time, effort, and money into a new game in the series. I'd love to be surprised, but I just don't think it'll happen. If anything, it'll most likely be another port of the original. What a shame.

The series was in political limbo (confirmed by Yasunori Mitsuda) for years. A post-merger complication, probably, considering that Square Enix signed over scenario rights to Yuji Horii before publishing the DS and mobile ports.

Who has authority over the direction of the series is a big question, although I'd bet on Horii having the upper hand at this point.
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
Given their deliberate use of what is basically just a chiptune remix of Frog's Theme, I'm betting this is just a teaser for a new SQ Chips album. Don't get your hopes up for anything new, people. I know I've learned my lesson.
Jacut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
Requires a good amount of imagination to distinguish Kaeru's theme from these indiscribable sounds litterally hurting the ears.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Talk about a teaser.

It seems more that there are games that they have been working on and will be announcing at E3. I'm just wondering if is something that will be coming out soon or be another long 9 year wait... I mean seriously, why make your customer-base wait that long. By the time the game (FFXV) actually comes out, everyone has essentially forgotten about it that was enthralled back in 2006 and some thought it was dead.

Plus, I think SE should abandon the mobile market and stick with handhelds and consoles, preferably consoles. There is no reason to be in the mobile market other than to make money quickly.

Lastly, how dare SE use Chrono Trigger music if there is no actual CT related announcement?! It better be a quality sequel (CT graphics with actual similar game mechanics and story) and not something like Radical Dreamers or Chrono Cross (I hated both of these games) that is announced. The game should be fun and not a chore to play and I often think SE forgets about this when they develop their games- even on the trophy level. It doesn't have to be some 60+ hour game- CT took somewhere between 5 to 25 hours (depending on the playthrough and the player's knowledge of the game) to beat.

Also, when will we ever get the FFVII port for PS4? Or a remake with higher graphics (which I highly doubt at this point)?

Or will this be the year that they announce Final Fantasy XVI?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't necessarily demand SNES graphics, though the mechanics were definitely part of the draw for me and the difference was part of what kept me from picking up Chrono Cross. For length, I think the same thing applies as it does for simplicity: as long as it needs to be and no longer. So long as the plot has room to breathe without being padded, I'm fine if it's eight hours or a hundred.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Mune:
Quote:
Lastly, how dare SE use Chrono Trigger music if there is no actual CT related announcement?!

Well, this is the same company which gave us Secret of Evermore instead of Seiken Densetsu 3, so don't be too surprised about that.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Don't tease me with Chrono Trigger, Square. Don't ever tease me. Don't get my hopes up to dash them.

As long as you're also hoping that Yuri Horii and other key staff members would be attached to any sequel. I imagine others, like myself, love the game because it's so focused and tight in all aspects of its design. Any sort of sequel would need to keep that.

If it's just some PC port or whatever, that wouldn't be so bad, even though I already own and love the DS port. More people can play it.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
If they announce a Chrono Trigger anime series, I will be so happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3