• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Pieces of Anime Technology We Wish We Had Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
For me a persocom would have been number one on the list.
It is probably better not to go into detail about why. Embarassed

Uh, this Embarassed
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Voice changing bow tie from Detective Conan. Oh the pranks I could do with that.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
6. Eden of the East App (Eden of the East) The application seen in East of Eden allows individuals to take a picture with their phones and learn anything they'd want to know from the subject in the photo. The concept is feasible enough, it's almost surprising it doesn't already exist. It essentially works like Wikipedia. Imagine being on a trip in a foreign country where you could take a picture of a restaurant and immediately read their menu in your native language or get data on a historical landmark. Researching for college papers would be a breeze.

I'm pretty sure I read something about a year-or-two ago about some apps that, along with geo-tagging, pull up all the available relevant information about the photo's subject (streets, restaurants, theatres [movie or stage], cars). I don't know if those apps are up yet, but the concept is there.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
" Eden of the East App"

This DOES exist..in several different versions. Not AS good, obviously. But Google Goggles for years has let you search for things matching pictures you take.
Akeema

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
The brain scanners from Himitsu – Top Secret would be incredibly nifty. I really thought they would have made it on the list.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
This article definitely needs cyberbrains from GITS. Upgraded senses, direct access to the internet from inside your own brain, instant voice communication, among a whole host of other enhancements and you only have to deal with the possibility that somebody might hack your brain and make you kill some politician.
daishi808

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
kind of shocked no mecha or large space faring ships are missing from the list.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The application seen in East of Eden allows individuals to take a picture with their phones and learn anything they'd want to know from the subject in the photo.

I, for one, would hope that technology never sees widespread use, as it would signal the end of privacy as we know it. It would be Wikileaks times a thousand.

Also, Henrietta Lacks has already achieved immortality...though not in a way that serves any convenience to anybody (and certainly not Henrietta).

Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Funny that you mentioned Anywhere Door from Doraemon because basically EVERYTHING Doraemon has is what we really wish was real.

Too bad Nobita would then plant seeds of painful doubt about every one of Doraemon's devices, one by one.

belvadeer wrote:
Combining the Capsule Corporation capsules with the Anywhere Door, my god moving companies would go out of business. Anime hyper

Unless they're smart and invest and/or adapt to avoid getting left behind. Companies that survive for hundreds of years have leaders who stay aware of what can destroy the industry they're in and will prepare to move to another one.

Kurohei wrote:
Voice changing bow tie from Detective Conan. Oh the pranks I could do with that.

Hasn't that been around for decades as toys?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I was torn between Joseph Joestar, Kiichi Gotoh, and Emiya Kiritsugu in the poll. Kiritsugu is still too young IMO, though, and Joseph -- though probably too old to consider middle-aged -- is my current favorite character, so I went with Joseph.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, I voted for Akio Furukawa from Clannad. He's wildly full of energy when he's playing a game of baseball and goes out of his way to cheer Sanae up whenever she feels depressed from any negative comments about her bread.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hasn't that been around for decades as toys?

I remember those, but I can recall they only make deep, light, or make you sound like a robot. I doubt they're as accurate as the one Conan uses.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
6. Eden of the East App (Eden of the East) The application seen in East of Eden allows individuals to take a picture with their phones and learn anything they'd want to know from the subject in the photo. The concept is feasible enough, it's almost surprising it doesn't already exist. ...

We're closer to that part of the future than you might think Wink ...
Google’s Brain-Inspired Software Describes What It Sees in Complex Images

Or Wolfram Alpha's "ImageIdentify". Add a small script to point the answer at Wikipedia, and you're there. Once WA/Google are smart enough, anyway.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I, for one, would hope that technology never sees widespread use, as it would signal the end of privacy as we know it. It would be Wikileaks times a thousand.

Only if it had a built-in hacker. If you looked at the President, hopefully you'd get Wikipedia-level info about him... not his social-security number and medical history.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't Angels and Persocoms be the same tech? they come from the same timeline.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fanime99

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
I have to admit I'd be an early purchaser of a persocom or Angelic Layer (careful to avoid confusion with Evangelion's Angels!), but the one tech I'd dearly love to get is full-body cyberisation - to be able to swap a worn or damaged body for a fresh one - yes, please!
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Shouldn't Angels and Persocoms be the same tech? they come from the same timeline.

Different applications and uses, though.

I will admit, when I saw the topic of this list, Angels were the first thing to pop in my head that I'd love to have. Also, racing a Rideback would be a blast, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4