• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Best of Anime II' Commercial is Full of 90s Nostalgia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilOmar78

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
This certainly made me smile. I really do miss buying up everything that was released. It was easy when it was only 2 or 3 series a month. I sure as hell don't miss those prices. I think I spent $39.99 on the Vampire Princess Miyu volume 1. If memory serves me correct that was the first time I saw anime in its original language with English subtitles.
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
I wish Discotek would make some over the top trailers/commercials like these.

While not quite as good as them making their own over-the-top trailers, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my new DVD of The Professional and they had an old Streamline trailer included in the extras. It was just as cheesy and awesome as I remembered it to be!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c8Y1uSec34
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
...the animation for some of those series seems surprisingly impressive. Especially Patlabor. Is that the tv series or the ova?

The scene with the Ingram fighting the black labor is from the OVA, I think; the smoothly animated scenes before that are from an OP. It's a great show, but not the most lavishly budgeted.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
There's also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIfu-FsxG00

From Orion. It has Akira but I remember a commercial (in the late 90's maybe) selling just the VHS of Akira. It almost seemed like a Time Life commercial. Anyone remember it & maybe know where to watch it? I can't find it and been looking for years.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
That first embed video... Instead of reminding me of the animes of the 90's, it reminded me about the sale commercials of the 90's. Those were funny.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm the uploader of the second video; "DSMSpyder" on YouTube. My channel is full of old anime advertisements from the 90s. Utterly awesome to see one of my videos linked here.

One of the reasons why I started uploading them was because initially I wanted to contribute some sort of anime/manga fandom to YouTube but didn't really know what to do. There's already tons of review and commentary videos on YouTube. Personally I'm not all that great when it comes to making videos giving my opinion on something. Plus YouTube is chock full of anime to watch and even the publishing companies themselves show most of their titles on their own pages. I honestly was stuck as to how I could contribute.

So rewind a little over two years ago, I was cleaning out a closet and came across all my old anime VHS tapes - around 200 tapes, many being dubbed 2nd gen copies of various anime titles I recorded. Of course it's now quite easy to download anime itself and the anime on my computer I'm typing on now significantly dwarfs any of my old collection beyond what I could have thought of at that time, but re-watching a lot of it I realized all the old ads at the beginning were quite fascinating.

Part of my make-a-living career is working with old video and photographs and digitizing that sort of analog material into more readily accessible digital formats. Of course a light bulb went off and in my spare time on weekends I began to digitize some of these old VHS titles.

The thing you have to realize if you weren't into anime in the early 90s most of the time if you didn't watch anime on Sci-Fi in the Saturday Anime slot or had a friend that somehow had anime this was the ONLY way to "see" other titles. Sure you could go online to the few anime sites that existed and maybe see screen shots and such, but actually seeing a clip of an anime in action was amazing. Throw in some great music, and you have a golden way to push product. Eventually too if you couldn't find these titles in your local Suncoast, Sam Goodie, or similar, you could maybe find them in very obscured sections of your local Blockbuster. Somehow, someway, there was a way to get anime. Doubly for a fan like me that lives largely in a rural area of the Mid-West.

I have other selections on my channel. I particularly suggest watching the Manga Entertainment promo if you haven't. It not only has a great, anime fitting, piece of music by KMFDM, but also previews some anime that was shown on the big screen during the late 90s in select theaters with trailer-esque previews. Nowadays you can go see a Miyazaki film or even other anime titles in theaters, but in 1998 this was some really big, and honestly I couldn't recall anything similar to it other than when titles like Akira had been show in select theaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRdwA8mhqVY

I actually have a HUGE back log of other promos and previews. Most of it has been me sorting through the material as a lot of it is dupes or so similar to one another it wouldn't make much sense to upload multiples.

Unfortunately.... my YouTube account is tied into a University Google account that has been a big jacked up since our University switch it's format. It's not exactly compatible (glitchy) with YouTube's new layout. Basically I can log in and check statistics and such but I can't respond to comments or upload new material. Eventually I may create a whole new channel focused on these type videos.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
That'd be great, man. And thanks for all you've uploaded already.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
I'm the uploader of the second video; "DSMSpyder" on YouTube. My channel is full of old anime advertisements from the 90s. Utterly awesome to see one of my videos linked here.

Don't suppose you have the first "ADV on DVD" promo?
The one where they abandoned the old Do It Now theme for a new one once they were one of the early companies to move to DVD, and pretty much abandoned the campaign after that?
(The only way I've been able to find it again is the Easter egg on the old Slayers Book of Spells DVD, and I can never get that to work.)
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:

I have other selections on my channel. I particularly suggest watching the Manga Entertainment promo if you haven't. It not only has a great, anime fitting, piece of music by KMFDM, but also previews some anime that was shown on the big screen during the late 90s in select theaters with trailer-esque previews. Nowadays you can go see a Miyazaki film or even other anime titles in theaters, but in 1998 this was some really big, and honestly I couldn't recall anything similar to it other than when titles like Akira had been show in select theaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRdwA8mhqVY
Oh, I think I've actually seen that one. I think its on my Blood the Last Vampire dvd (maybe Macross Plus, one of thoe two).
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I_Drive_DSM wrote:

Don't suppose you have the first "ADV on DVD" promo?
The one where they abandoned the old Do It Now theme for a new one once they were one of the early companies to move to DVD, and pretty much abandoned the campaign after that?
(The only way I've been able to find it again is the Easter egg on the old Slayers Book of Spells DVD, and I can never get that to work.)

I'm fairly sure I do not. Sorry. I have so much of the older "Do it Now" themed material it's insane; I think I had like roughly 50 different ADV tapes from roughly 1994-ish-to-1999 at my collection's height.

I believe the oldest DVD from ADV I have left - I've been getting rid of my DVDs too as I go to all-digital - is maybe the Area 88 TV series, which was a 2005 ADV release. I'm fairly sure that was a bit of time either into or after the ADV on DVD promos but I wouldn't be able to confirm that.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
I believe the oldest DVD from ADV I have left - I've been getting rid of my DVDs too as I go to all-digital - is maybe the Area 88 TV series, which was a 2005 ADV release. I'm fairly sure that was a bit of time either into or after the ADV on DVD promos but I wouldn't be able to confirm that.

...You'll be SOR-REEEEEE!!

(And so will we Sad --It's only because you kept the VHS's that we have all this rare material, and here only beginneth the lesson about why anime fans keep their stuff on disk.
And wait, don't tell me you've actually found non-Naruto/Bleach anime on digital??)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3