• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Thief Characters That Could Steal the Shirt Off Your Back

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Happosai ... This hobby is treated in the series with an "aw, shucks" attitude rather than outright hostility.

I haven't seen much of the anime but in the manga he is often shown on the run with a crowd of homicidal women in pursuit.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'm kinda dumbfounded to see Jing acknowledged anywhere, really like that show.
As soon as I saw the theme, the first character I thought of was Jing. I agree, rarely do I see anything about King of Bandits Jing on lists like these, which is rather sad considering it's a pretty awesome series.

One time when I had to go into work a few hours early, I brought in my DVD set and played it on the TV we had set up in the break room. Many of my co-workers had no idea what anime was, but they really enjoyed what they were watching.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Quote:
Happosai ... This hobby is treated in the series with an "aw, shucks" attitude rather than outright hostility.

I haven't seen much of the anime but in the manga he is often shown on the run with a crowd of homicidal women in pursuit.

His little hobby isn't really treated any better in the anime. (And yes, while his hobby is played out for humor, it's usually in that him often being chased or beat up over it while pondering why that's supposed to be funny.

The anime featured a filler episode where Happosai actually falls in love with a kindergarten teacher (who's basically a woman looking like Shampoo in her twenties and with something along the lines of Kasumi's personality), and tries his darnedest to curtail his perverted shenanigans for her sake. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

As for that bosses list: going through it, I can see a lot of people here must be suckers for punishment.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
This list reminded me that I should get around to buying the Phantom Thief Jeanne manga. Have been meaning to do so, but have bought other series that have caught my eye recently. Laughing

As for a boss, I went with Baccano!'s Jacuzzi. Sure, would always have to have tissues with me, but you know he'll step up to the plate when push comes to shove.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Everyone was lying to themselves.

Dark and Dark or an equivalent would probably have been what everyone's special power would be be.

Dream low people!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
What anime character would make the best boss? For being both boss and bossy, Haruhi Suzumiya is the clear choice.

At least she won't get you killed or kill you outright like some of the other choices. What a list...
Stratum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Nijuu Mensou from Nijuu Mensou no Musume steals a variety of precious items out from under the noses of their owners and often the police as well.

I suppose Isaac and Miria from Baccano! don't really qualify here, but they do make off with quite the variety of loot during their famous coast-to-coast crime spree. What do you suppose they did with the museum's front steps?

They stole from the mob and threw the money at crowds of people on the street in order to make up for their other crimes(pranks) that nobody really cared about, so I think they qualify.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
The greatest anime boss is Captain Keiichi Gotoh from Patlabor. Let all others be forsaken before him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
I'd like Patlabor's Captain Goto for a boss. Serious about what matters, but laid back enough to not sweat the small stuff. And well enough wired into the outfit we work for so that higher management weirdness can be avoided. Usually. Smile

Though it maybe should be said that part of the reason Goto can be so nice is that it's the Chief Mechanic's work, where he is super strict and keeps his side of the outfit tightly under control, which allows Goto to have his unique style. The one gives the other room to maneuver, so to speak.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
I can't think of a better boss than ARIA's Alicia Florence. She's a well-known expert at her job and is kind, patient and very supportive.

Right on.

Though she'd have to be willing to take on a male gondolier trainee. (Hey, IRL-Venice got its first female gondolier a few years ago. We can break the glass ceiling on Mars!)

Or, if I can have a superpower from last week, too (I assume it's one of the job qualifications): Shirakiin Ririchiyo. Who doesn't want a tsundere loli-boss?

Speaking of those powers, I hope everyone gets them. Otherwise all the folks who picked Imagine Breaker are outta luck. What good is a power-canceler if nobody else has powers?
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't choose Gintoki as a boss. Sometimes people expect to be paid for their work.

My chose would be Justy Ueki Tylor and his "don't worry, be happy" attitude. Also, ending a space war with close to no causalities is a big feat.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Slander, he is skilled enough to steal a woman's bra while leaving the shirt on.

That's if he wants to keep their shirt on.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Praise be heaped upon the Best Boss Poll for adding Justy Ueki Tylor of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor! While he gives you great freedom on the job to do what you want, how you want, to the point of seeming extremely lax for a boss, you will be surprised to find that, through him, you are being taught very valuable life lessons. Plus you can be assured that his "Devil's own luck" would keep you safe in a crisis.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
*Looks at poll list*

It seems to have been interpreted as "put your favorite anime character here".
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
I would work for Shiro from K! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3