• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Try to Replicate Effects of Hestia's String

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
i cant think of anything witty because im too busy lmao.

this is downright hilarious

well played otakus. well played indeed.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
That these women tried this technique makes me wonder if there is any hope for humanity. And those seemed to be just Japanese women. Imagine what will happen when women in the US try this Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, I didn't invent Hestia's boob string. You seem to think it's my job to ignore that her boob string exists? If ANN had not posted this article, would her character design have changed? Would people on social media not have made a few jokes about it? Or perhaps you think ANN pointing out that people think the boob string is funny, we will cause more character designers to include more boob strings on more characters?

With great power must come great responsibility.

Anyone that publishes information, from the lowliest one-fan blog to the biggest journalism site, is responsible for the power of their platform. If you have viewers, and you present information to those viewers, then you are spreading that information to more people. So yes, you do have some responsibility to spread information that makes the world a better place, and not that makes the world a lesser place. If you feel that this story presents anime in a positive light that improves the world around us, then fair enough, but in either case, you are responsible for the choice of printing it or not and cannot handwave away that responsibility.

I'm not saying it was wrong to publish this story, I'm just opposed to the attitude of "I'm just a simple country lawyer, it doesn't matter a hill of beans what I do on the site." It's disrespectful to those who visit the site, and to those who do not have as loud a voice with which to speak.

Personally, I think the story would be fine, so long as it included the point that the ribbon is not and never was intended to be a load bearing support garment, so any testing of it as such is a bit automatically ridiculous, like trying to test a character's baseball cap as a crash helmet and finding, to the shock of all involved, that it makes a very poor one.

Instead, the tone of the article seemed to be that the designers of the character were the ones being ridiculous by including it as a decorative part of her outfit.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
some professionals are trying to change people's perceptions of anime... they are trying to get anime to be taken a little more seriously in the west and have it be treated with the same respect as film.

Anyone who's trying to do this I kind of pity them as it sounds they're very insecure with their hobby and can not enjoy it unless it's considered socially acceptable. Anime will never be put on the same level of film in the west on the sole fact that it's animated. Animation will never be taken seriously, especially with the decline of serious western animation further pigeonholing animation as a comedy/kids only category. And to be honest I'm perfectly happy with that, anime being mainstream and taken seriously just invites a lot of problems with it. Look at what happened with video games.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And to be honest I'm perfectly happy with that, anime being mainstream and taken seriously just invites a lot of problems with it. Look at what happened with video games.

True, but it really doesn't help when people spread the meme of anime being all gross and pervy in places where it isn't necessarily the case.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
All I got from Ohoni's spiel is "Censorship is okay as long as it's something I don't like."

Well, you're welcome to your opinion, but I think it's abhorrent. The point of news is to inform people, regardless of whether the knowledge makes them (or seems to make them) better or worse people.

I *expect* ANN to provide me with a pretty broad spectrum of anime news -- some of it I will be interested in, and some I won't be interested in. Whether any of it makes me a better person or not I don't know, nor do I care, NOR DO I THINK IT IS ANN'S RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW OR CARE.

This show is, as far as I can tell, so insipid that as to be harmless: it isn't going to make anyone better or worse people, and yes, that includes the goddess Hestia's outfit. Using a show like this to launch into the 'responsibilities' of ANN as a site the promulgates various stuff about anime is just silly. It's like launching into a serious critique on art over the idle doodling of someone killing time.

Hopefully, the Powers That Be at ANN will continue on as they always have. I'm pretty confident that they will do so.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Anyone who's trying to do this I kind of pity them as it sounds they're very insecure with their hobby and can not enjoy it unless it's considered socially acceptable. Anime will never be put on the same level of film in the west on the sole fact that it's animated. Animation will never be taken seriously, especially with the decline of serious western animation further pigeonholing animation as a comedy/kids only category. And to be honest I'm perfectly happy with that, anime being mainstream and taken seriously just invites a lot of problems with it. Look at what happened with video games.

and why hasn't animation as a whole been taken seriously in the west? because the content has always been focused more on child fare and little else. we can thank disney for warping people's perceptions of the medium. clearly, they managed to get into your head. on the opposite end of the spectrum, we have anime which had the potential to change people's mentality towards animation. in some ways it has, but the notable works which should have set an example for all to follow are limited in number, sadly. the bulk of the industry is focused more on mediocrity and catering people such as yourself... people with little respect for the art form. the stereotypes of anime aren't really stereotypes any longer because so much of the trash that comes out of the anime industry is actually reflective of it now.

just so we are clear: animation as a whole is mainstream and so is anime. it just isn't taken seriously partly due to the reasons mentioned. look at how people respond to superhero movies in the west? despite the ridiculous premises they all share, the producers are respectful to the audience and don't pander to social misfits and perverted teens with disgusting fetishes. maybe that has something to do with it?

the comments i have seen on this topic alone speak for themselves. they demonstrate just how backwards and immature a large part of the anime community actually is. not only is it not enough to get off on their precious anime in the privacy of their own home, but they need the entire world to know about. it needs to be on the front page of ann to validate everything they believe in. it's sad, really. no wonder all the true artists within the industry have already given up hope for a prosperous future.

and what happened with video games? what is the point you are trying to make? we are in the middle of a renaissance with the rise of the indie scene. there are more artistic and thoughtful games than ever for people to enjoy. it is games like journey that allow the terms "video games" and "art" to be put in the same sentence.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
All I got from Ohoni's spiel is "Censorship is okay as long as it's something I don't like."

nobody here has brought up the word censorship. i couldn't care less if this stupid anime exists and cosplayers show up at conventions with strings to elevate their breasts. the whole point is, trashy news shouldn't be given priority and moved to the forefront. it doesn't deserve the spotlight nor has it earned it. all this does is tarnish the image of anime even further than its current state. it is further enforcing all the negative sides of the industry instead of showing its strengths. let us give people reasons to respect anime, rather than reasons to point and laugh at it.

Last edited by Xristophoros on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Then you weren't reading the words I wrote, because it had nothing to do with censorship, just that everyone is responsible for the choices they make. Someone reblogging something is not a neutral party, they are making a choice to signal boost something, they are altering the world by making that choice, and whatever good or ill comes from that choice is their responsibility. It offends me when people blessed with a loud megaphone do not take that responsibility seriously.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
@Xristophoros

I applaud your efforts to try and remove some of the negative misdirected stereotypes of anime. A few years ago I tried convincing friends that anime stereotypes aren't representations of anime as a whole and well.. It was like trying to get blood from a stone eventually I gave up and was just satisfied with knowing that I know the truth because even if you lead a horse to water you can make it drink (man these proverbs are just flowing today).

To be honest I don't think ANN shouldn't have written an article about it after all its pretty funny and I'm pretty sure the context wasn't meant to be taken seriously. That said it's like Black Star usually says: it just wasn't my time yet, Western society as a whole just isn't ready for this and who knows if they ever will be, but there's been a slow but steady increase in 'otaku' awareness over the years so I'm hoping that during my lifetime these 'events' won't be... Well such a big deal.

Man that was a dense post for an article that started off as a hilarious but harmless read.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
There's something ironically histerical about how these people are claiming this article is not relevant and shouldn't even be here (even if it's clearly labeled as Interest rather than World Changing News, and yet we have 5+ pages of comments on it. Like dude, good to know it's not something worth mentioning in an anime site

Rederoin wrote:

Because realism is sooo important in those Chinese girl cartoons rigth?

Oh wait..

Quote:
Eh, the joke works a little bit for some fans (but even there note how many female fans there were to know about this and joke with it), but it really falls flat when it comes to [...]

Good to know the people who love jiggly Chinese cartoon boobs have the smallest modicum of sense of humor. Jesus. Forgot people got all touchy and panties on fire over any attempt at dismissive humor about cartoon tits

Quote:
Not to mention in the days of the internet and Google image search, the old rhetoric of "you've never seen a naked girl" is pretty silly since it's only a two second internet search away.

Just becausethe internet is full of naked girls (who usually get naked for the sake of the male gaze, mind you), doesn't mean the guys looking at them and designing these cartoon boobs and the small amount of cloth over them have the slightest clue of what a real woman is like

Quote:
I'm still waiting for someone to point out evidence that this ribbon is intended to be a load bearing structure.

There may not be any evidence to it, but the fact that a sizable portion of the fandom -including the girls that decided to try it out and the people drawing the fanarts- thinks it is speaks of a design failure because it's getting the wrong message across. At the very least it's an artistic problem because some official artwork does make it look like the boobs are being pushed up by the string

Quote:
Personally, I think the story would be fine, so long as it included the point that the ribbon is not and never was intended to be a load bearing support garment

And you're so certain about this because...? Did the LN writer say it? Did the anime creators mention it? Did the character designer bring it up in an interview? Because if they didn't then there's no way you can know that for sure. Maybe someone will say something about it now that it's turned into a boom, but until that happens, you can't claim that the string was never intended to be X.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
these people have a lot of time on their hand..

are they going to walk around like that in public ?? Confused

I'm sure there are better alternatives already available on the market

cheap and effective --- try push up bras---- just type it in google

if a woman always concerns about her breast size... there's some self esteem problem going on.

if you think another person will not attract to you unless you have large breasts ?.. it's not worth it

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:25 am; edited 2 times in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
Lol, I've seen the whole episode without noticing the string, at least not what it's meant to be for. Thought it's just there for an unlikely decoration (I mean, they're everywhere in anime costume).

I also watched the whole first episode without noticing. Then Theron mentioned it in his review and I noticed. I guess I just subconsciously flag things as anime-boob-physics and it gets treated like noticing the sky is blue.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:

There may not be any evidence to it, but the fact that a sizable portion of the fandom -including the girls that decided to try it out and the people drawing the fanarts- thinks it is speaks of a design failure because it's getting the wrong message across. At the very least it's an artistic problem because some official artwork does make it look like the boobs are being pushed up by the string

If it's being done as proposed, it would be impossible to "depict" artistically. What I mean is, there are two ways that a ribbon could hypothetically "lift" boobs. One would be if it actually physically lifted them, meaning that the ribbon would have to rest partway up, and pull them upwards like a bra does. This is depicted in some of the artwork, especially fanart, and is physically possible.

The other method would be to wear it as Hestia usually does, in full contact with the rib cage beneath the breasts, and this somehow causing them to float away from the body or something. This is, of course, impossible, and that's what the "testing" shows, but there's no way that any drawing of Hestia could show this taking place, there would need to be an accompanying text description that explains that her breasts are being lifted by the ribbon, and not merely naturally (or supernaturally) perky.

From the two episodes I've seen, it seems like her breasts would just do that regardless of what she's wearing, there's no indication that the ribbon serves any practical function, it's purely decorative. It's fair to note that it might be uncomfortable, and fair to note that her breasts are often highlighted by the show's direction, and that is a turn-off to some people, but the "ribbon does not work as a bra" argument makes no sense when there's no indication it was ever intended to do so.

Quote:
And you're so certain about this because...? Did the LN writer say it?

Because there's no evidence to support the idea that it is, and in lack of any such evidence, the logical conclusion is that it does not exist. It's like you're trying to get me to explain why Bigfoot isn't real, the burden of proof in this discussion should not rest on the most obvious and simple conclusion. I do concede that we can't know for certain, and that if one of the character's creators does come out and officially confirm that it's intended as a practical support garment, then that would be the truth of it, but until such statements are made, Occam's Razor applies.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Just becausethe internet is full of naked girls (who usually get naked for the sake of the male gaze, mind you), doesn't mean the guys looking at them and designing these cartoon boobs and the small amount of cloth over them have the slightest clue of what a real woman is like

Setting aside you making a stereotype based insult on people you don't know anything about, does your average anime girl design screams like they're aiming for realistic looking women? Those designs have proven to be appealing to the target audience, so that's why they're drawn. Hestia's design has also already been shown to be appealing enough judging by the amount of fanart and discussions about her. People are arguing more about whether she qualifies as an oppai loli than the practicality of that ribbon.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:33 am Reply with quote
@Ohoni You completely skirted over the issue that a shitload of people seem to think the string is designed to hold the boobs up. Whether it is or not we can't tell, but you can't really apply your Occam's Razor when a majority of the public is obviously reaching the opposite conclusion.

@jl07045 Of course they're not targetting real women, they probably don't even care about what real women look like, let alone what kind of anime they like. I was just countering Stuart Smith's claim that of course these guys know what real women are like because there are a bajillion photos of naked women on the internet. Sorry for making a joke about people who draw cartoon boobs. I'll never make that mistake again. Cartoon boobs and the people doing them should be taken seriously and their feelings taken into consideration when making a joke about a cartoon girl that holds her boobs with a ribbon. I'll send apology letters to those people who I stereotyped and hurt with my insulting joke even if none of them read it Rolling Eyes Jesus. One would think people would be less anal about chinese cartoon stereotype jokes in a thread about gravity-defying boobs and their bizarre fashion choices.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7