• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime to the Big Screen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
And if not, what would be on your wish list?

This is going to sound crazy and probably the obvious thing to say, but if Marvel and DC can get some movie adaptations, well then why not Shounen Jump? I'd love to see some SJ series get live action adaptations, but probably because of how biased I am towards it. Anime smile + sweatdrop I think they'd be successful enough though given SJ's popularity. Although I know there were rumors a few years ago that proved to be false about a series of DBZ live action movies.

And speaking of M.Night Shamiylan, how about a Fullmetal Alchemist live action movie? Don't you think he'd be a good fit for that one? I was also thinking maybe a Wolf's Rain movie as well. The stories of both of those plus the intense drama would make for some great live action movie material.
D_man71200

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that is his type of movie he can add his special touch to not avatar.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
LA Anime is dangerous grounds to walk on. As someone mentioned, a lot of companies don't want to take a chance with something new, and would rather make money off the inital burst of fans from a previously exsisting franchise. Of course, i will still go to see it despite my inital reaction or reviews. I'm going to see the UNderdog movie (even though I KNOW it's going to bomb big time) because it's a show I grew up on and want to see the transition. I feel I don't have any right to put down a show and discourage people to see it if I haven't seen it.

With that said, there are several animes that I'd like to see and I think are possible. I think a Hellsing LA is very possible (I see Keira Knightly as Seras). Two animes that I myself am planning to write into movie scripts are Elfen Lied and...brace yourself for this...

Excel Saga

Excel Saga, either you love it or hate it. There really is not much basis for this other than I think it's possible but it'll be very challenging to write/create. Mainly, I just want to see Robin Williams as Dr. Kapabapu. I think it has great potential to be a good movie, despite the complete insanity and spontaneousness of ths anime.[/b]

It'll be hard to make a movie when the manga (at least in what we over here can purchase legally) has only just started to get into the serious story content. So short of you sitting down and having a long talk with Koushi Rikudou about where he was taking the story and how he envisioned it ending, you'd basically just be left doing what Nabeshin already did, branching it off about 3/4 of the way through and taking it in entirely your own direction, which would later seem really weird after several more volumes of manga came out and showed it going in entirely another direction.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
Actually the basis would be around the anime, considering that is what most people think of when they hear Excel Saga. It's a show that's open to suggestion with crazy antics and ridiculous plots, although I would take note of a couple stories from the manga that was not in the anime. Although i believe in staying true to the original story, Excel Saga as per Nabeshin's translation of it, is a show that's open to interpretation, and you also have to realize that the majority of people who would go to the movie have probably never even heard of it.

I have a feeling Rikdo wouldn't want to see ES into a LA. Very Happy And I would never do a movie where the original creator has no say in the end product of it, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try.
D_man71200

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
These are some great repost guys keep them comimg
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing IG Productions was selling the rights to a LA Ghost in the Shell movie. I have heard that, specifically, James Cameron (sp?) was a fan of the original movie...I'm sure you see what I'm getting at.

Not only Ghost in the Shell, but anime like Elfen Lied and Hellsing would work perfectly too. Get the guy who did Underworld to do Hellsing, and get someone like Wes Craven to do Elfen Lied (if Wes Craven can make make two great and original movies in the Slasher genre (three if you count Wes Craven's New Nightmare), which is so incredibly restricted and usually ends up underpar, I'm sure Elfen Lied wouldn't be outside his ability).

That being said, I'm surprized, with the success of Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction, that no one suggested a Quentin Tarintino adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin or Cowboy Bebop. I think it would be a perfect match-up (although Tarintino would be better for a Samurai X adaption than Kenshin).

Evangelion and Gundam, after seeing Transformers, seem more than possible so much as a definite for translation. It would be an ideal movie after the success of Transformers, perhaps even breathing life into a genre of American action films involving oversized robots fighting each other. It's possible.

And, perhaps some movies you wouldn't expect to hear recommended, some Shojo anime would work out the easiest to a live action movie due to the significant lack of special effects neccessary. Fruits Basket would make a great movie, especially considering its popularity stateside.

Those are just a few examples of what would work. I don't think Excel Saga would work as a major movie due to it's rather, um...quirky nature (it's f***ing hilarious, but it would probably become a cult classic than a hit...). I also don't think DBZ would translate well (Super Saiyan anyone?)
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see a live action version of Hellsing! I think I read somewhere that Kouta Hirano would be agreeable to it. However, I find it hard to think of someone who'd be good enough to play Alucard. The only one I can think of who might come close is that guy who played the young Hannibal in Hannibal Rising recently. Only he might not be tall enough and he's really young, course costuming and makeup could take care of that. But he definitely got the acting skills!
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
That being said, I'm surprized, with the success of Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction, that no one suggested a Quentin Tarintino adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin or Cowboy Bebop. I think it would be a perfect match-up (although Tarintino would be better for a Samurai X adaption than Kenshin).

Actually, I thought about this not too long ago about how Tarintino would do a great live-action adaptation of not only Cowboy Bebop, but Samurai Champloo as well. Him and Shinshiro Watanabe really have a lot in common with their styles. I don't think I agree with him doing Kenshin though. It just doesn't seem to be his style.

Quote:
Evangelion and Gundam, after seeing Transformers, seem more than possible so much as a definite for translation. It would be an ideal movie after the success of Transformers, perhaps even breathing life into a genre of American action films involving oversized robots fighting each other. It's possible.

Once again, same here. After Transformers I was definitely fired up to see more mech on the big screen, and I thought about Eva and Gundam in particular. I'd say for Eva, I don't know if he's still doing stuff, but who better to direct it than the director of 2001: A Space Oddesy himself, Stanley Kubick. As for Gundam, I'm not sure who'd direct the movies, but I think they would make a good Jerry Bruckheimer production.

Anyways, after my recent pro-Shounen Jump rave on why I think, like Marvel and DC have done with their series, should be fine doing live action adaptations of their series, I've thought of at least some directors who I think would do a good job with a few I just recently thought up. For Naruto, I'd say that one is right down Sam Rami's (Spiderman 1, 2 and 3, Xena: Warrior Princess) alley. In fact, I don't think anyone could do a better job at it then him. I'd also say he would be a great choice for a Dragonball and Dragonball Z director as well. For Bleach, and at the same time I'd say Yu Yu Hakusho as well, I'd definitely go with either Joss Wheidon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Serenity) or Brian Singer (X-men 1 & 2, Superman Returns), probably one on one and one on the other. For One Piece, I think I'd go with Rami as well, but I think a better person for the job would be Bary Sonnenfeld (Men in Black 1 & 2, Wild Wild West, Adam's Family and Adam's Family Values). He just has that sense of cooky fantasy adventure that a One Piece live action movie would require. For Rurouni Kenshin, rather than Quentin Tarintino, I'd say maybe Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins). I could also see him doing a Claymore live action movie as well. That's about all I can think of right now though.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I'd say for Eva, I don't know if he's still doing stuff, but who better to direct it than the director of 2001: A Space Oddesy himself, Stanley Kubick.

Regarding the current state he's in, I'd say not. I think David Cronenberg could possibly pull off Eva, though, considering his mastery of visual effects and tendency to direct films with heavy psychological undertones. He was also a key player in the early cyberpunk film era, which used to play a huge role in 80s anime; I think his film sensibilities are decidedly un-Western and would more easily adapt to Eva's story than a mainstream Hollywood director.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Regarding the current state he's in, I'd say not. I think David Cronenberg could possibly pull off Eva, though, considering his mastery of visual effects and tendency to direct films with heavy psychological undertones. He was also a key player in the early cyberpunk film era, which used to play a huge role in 80s anime; I think his film sensibilities are decidedly un-Western and would more easily adapt to Eva's story than a mainstream Hollywood director.

........oh, wasn't aware of that, sorry. Anime smile + sweatdrop In that case, yeah, no chance. Wink

Don't know who David Cronenberg is, but I'll go ahead and trust your judgment on that one.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
I'd say for Eva, I don't know if he's still doing stuff, but who better to direct it than the director of 2001: A Space Oddesy himself, Stanley Kubick.

First of all, hilarious. Smile

Considering that Eva plays off of more typical anime fare, I'm not sure anybody could make a good live-action translation without whole-sale changes, even if (or maybe especially if) it's in the hands of a true artiste like Cronenberg or David Lynch. Still, I know I would be first in line if someone like that did an adaptation.
Amasa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity did this ever happen? I can't seem to find it in the encyclopedia but I think I can still bring it up in this topic. Any film with Melissa Joan Hart is a failure so yet again the point is proven.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
They did a live action Fist of the North Star and Initial D.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
They did a live action Fist of the North Star and Initial D.

And Lupin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
greedo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

This shows how desperate movie directors are now. They're all out of ideas so they decide butcher cartoons. Hopefully they don't make a Gundam movie...

G-saviur. Or are you talking about a hollywood studio doing a gundam live-action?

Meiaminkbell wrote:

Elfen Lied

Just go watch Scanners.

In regards to an eva live-action, Matt Greenfield has stated that it is going to happen, it's just a matter of when. Currently, Matt is talking with several directors, but there is no official selection. He also hopes filming will start within two years.

Link to the interview: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wJKwvD5ZAy0 (they start talking about eva at the very end)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ku7IFQL4kws

Battle Angel: Cameron has that on hold for the moment, while he makes another movie coincidentally titled "Avatar."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7