• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Anime Encyclopedia Third Revised Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Hi! I'm not Dr. Clements or Ms. McCarthy, but I was a significant contributor to TAE 3rd.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
[Minuses] Not as useful in an academic setting due to tone and opinion, dividing into sections would make referencing easier.

For those looking for a more academic book, see Dr. Clements' dissertation or the book based on it, Anime: A History.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
[Minuses] A couple of small errors.

Macron One wrote:
which can result in some amusing mistakes, such as the Lyrical Nanoha entry claiming that Hayate is the "boy love interest" of Nanoha and Fate in the StrikerS season ( a double error, as Hayate is a girl and Nanoha and Fate are only romantically interested in eachother ).

jroa wrote:
My main problem with this book is it still has a few factual mistakes in the plot summaries of various series, even very high-profile ones like Dragon Ball, and I imagine this can easily result in a very misleading impression or at least some confusion for the unprepared reader. I don't mind disagreeing with whether they like or dislike a given show, but I do find it distracting to come across such errors from time to time.

There is an E-mail address at the end of the Publisher's Note to report any errors (it's been there since the first edition). (That's how I got the job—I've been sending updates and error reports since the first edition was almost new.) Macron One: A friend spotted the "boy love interest" part some weeks back and I reported it, but I'll be glad to pass along the other half of that one. Smile

Macron One wrote:
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Each entry for a specific title includes the date the show was released, alternate titles it may be known by (each show is listed by its best known title, so the alternate may be the original Japanese or a different translation).

I've found the book to be very inconsistent in this regard, to be honest.

<snip>

The book's policy on titles. If (as you describe) you find a mistake, or an entry which is missing an official title for a show that has been released in English, please do report that too.

NorbieH wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
In my mind, the two biggest question are:

- What will you (a very specific you - casual reader, researcher, librarian) - use this book *for*.

and

- Is this book worth its price.

As a casual reader I read it for entertainment, it can be amusing in some cases.

The price? I'm waiting for the softcover before i buy the physical version, I'm not gonna pay $100 for the hardcover. For now I just have to put up the kindle edition for $10.

AFAIK there are no plans are this time for a softcover edition—only the library-quality hardcover and the e-book.

Statistics:

1200 pages
1.1 million words
Over 3800 entries, of which
1200 are new
5,000 corrections

One thing that has been missed, both in the review and the above discussion, is that each entry in the e-book edition is linked to a Web site (usually Wikipedia, the ANN Encyclopedia, or aniSearch.com, though sometimes I had to resort to Japanese-language sites; I avoided MyAnimeList and AniDB because they are sources of fansubs, and a publishing company does not need the legal hassles entailed in those). I made certain that at the very least the site had the show's title in Japanese, so that the readers could research more information on their own.

Also, a Web site for the book is in development, which will include all of the links from the e-book edition, plus several for which there was no room (some entries for the most obscure shows needed two links for complete coverage, but time and the technology only allowed for one per entry).
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

But reviews exist to express judgement; encyclopedias are supposed to be about factual information. This book sounds more like Leonard Maltin's film guides than the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Think of it as a fusion of both and you'll be nearest the mark, in my opinion. I truly think there is not a better book for getting informed about anime.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
IMO, as long as the book has MULTIPLE UNCONNECTED SERIES listed as the same entry, under a title that NONE of them have gone under, in either Japanese or English, the book is worthless.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
IMO, as long as the book has MULTIPLE UNCONNECTED SERIES listed as the same entry, under a title that NONE of them have gone under, in either Japanese or English, the book is worthless.

So one mistake as you see it = no value for an entire book. Really? Also, do you have any examples of this?
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Dessa wrote:

So one mistake as you see it = no value for an entire book. Really? Also, do you have any examples of this?

Take off your mask already, Dr. Clements.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. I talked to miss McCarthy over the male gaze thing and I honestly couldn't have disagreed more. I don't want to call anyone an 'Shonen Jump Weekly' but she is following that whole 'sexual content = males only' lingo too strictly. I wasn't a huge fan of that in the Encyclopedia and in the interviews and fan interactions.

It could have been so much more if they had a more a neutral opinion on risqué anime, but I just can't really take it when people assume sexual anime is only for men or the content automatically devalues the experience on an objective scale. The funny thing is, a lot of anime fan girls I know are the ones into sexual anime. Not just with hunky male characters but sexual female characters as well.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
It could have been so much more if they had a more a neutral opinion on risqué anime,

It's not just risqué anime, their article on Evangelion (guess why that pisses me off) is absolutely anti-fanboy rant (meaning they had no objectivity whatsoever, they only exaggerate the bad things of the show).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I have an earlier version of the Encyclopedia. I remember being somewhat irritated by their tendency to evaluate current shows as being similar to and not as good as an earlier show. Especially when the earlier show had never been legally available in the US. Even if shows are similar, very few actually exhaust the genre.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I suppose this thing is insufficiently academic if the expectation is that qualifying means writing that's aggressively neutral or dressed up in superfluous denser language in the manner of journal articles. All I can say is that for me it's a book packed with information accompanied by a vested interest improving an understanding of anime and the industry that creates it for all readers. It meets that goal well, and does it no less so simply because the authors aren't above having a sense of humor.

Indeed. I would like that journal articles these days had more entertaining language. Journal articles of my field in the past (i.e. half a century ago) were so pleasurable to read and easier to understand. These days they are impenetrable dense exercises in self "masturbation". Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
It could have been so much more if they had a more a neutral opinion on risqué anime,

It's not just risqué anime, their article on Evangelion (guess why that pisses me off) is absolutely anti-fanboy rant (meaning they had no objectivity whatsoever, they only exaggerate the bad things of the show).

Objectivity applies to art when one does judge the impact of a work on the overall medium and other artists. Evangelion, for instance, would benefit from having a more objective treatment because it has been enormously important for the medium as a whole and in Japan is widely regarded as a masterpiece and for a good reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
So,"The Anime Encyclopedia" has a third edition. Good. It's a great anime resource but it'll also help fiction writers get some ideas for novels or stories. I've read it. Trust me. It's good.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
While I haven't read this third edition yet, I have read the second edition and after reading Rebecca's review, it sounds like many of problems that plagued the previous editions are still there. As the review mentioned, the tone of writing is very inconsistent. Entries for some shows or terms will have a formal "academic" tone while entries for other shows or terms will have a sarcastic or mocking tone. Personally, I think the variable writing style is a little jarring for the reader. Also, plot summaries and production history of some shows occasionally will have wrong or missing information. It's too bad, since I do have respect for the academic work of the authors, and it's the only print anime encyclopedia around. Anyway, I may still try to pick up this edition once the price goes down. It's still good as a reference book.

@GWOtaku, it's tricky, because there's a fine line between an analysis and a review. I think the authors try to do both, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's pretty clear from some of the entries when the authors really like a certain show or they really hate it.

BassKuroi wrote:

Completely agree. I don't know if they've revised the Evangelion entry in this third edition, but the Eva entry in the second edition sorta has a condescending tone to it.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Also, plot summaries and production history of some shows occasionally will have wrong or missing information.

As noted in the statistics above, we did a lot of clean up, and corrections are always welcomed.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
While I haven't read this third edition yet, I have read the second edition and after reading Rebecca's review, it sounds like many of problems that plagued the previous editions are still there. As the review mentioned, the tone of writing is very inconsistent. Entries for some shows or terms will have a formal "academic" tone while entries for other shows or terms will have a sarcastic or mocking tone. Personally, I think the variable writing style is a little jarring for the reader. Also, plot summaries and production history of some shows occasionally will have wrong or missing information. It's too bad, since I do have respect for the academic work of the authors, and it's the only print anime encyclopedia around. Anyway, I may still try to pick up this edition once the price goes down. It's still good as a reference book.

What you're looking for doesn't exist unless your idea of a encyclopedia is : just a list of items with no context at all. With context come the opinions. That's the way it is. Even in old fashioned print encyclopedias with tens of volumes, tens of thousands of articles, the articles are to a certain extent "biased". And get it straight, an encylopedia is not the word of God. It doesn't give you the ultimate truth. It gives you a view on certain topics. Consider it as a starting point for further research not the end point of a truth quest.

As for errors, big whoop. No reference book exists without errors. They crop in no matter how well the proofreading phase goes. The point is to keep them to a minimum.

Quote:
Completely agree. I don't know if they've revised the Evangelion entry in this third edition, but the Eva entry in the second edition sorta has a condescending tone to it.

And what if it does ? You think everyone is a fan of Eva just because ? The facts need to be correct. The ideas of the authors remain the opinions of the authors. In nothing does it impede the ability to arrive at a different conclusion.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary jab and unnecessary quote nesting. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
^
It would be as bad to sing unfounded praises to Evangelion as to rant how much it sucks, that's why I said anti-fanboy rant. They weren't thinking when they wrote that libel, in fact, I think they were wasted with cheap wine and just in their underwear.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary quotes and uncalled for snark directed at the earlier poster. Errinundra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3