• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Ep 9 reivew wrote:
Not just passively accepting the fickleness of the tsundere character is actually a pretty big step forward as harem series go.

Thanks for that because I hadn't distilled it in my mind that way. Now that you mention it this is something every harem anime needs to start doing from now on. It is ok to do the male-is-the-doormat thing now and then but not all the time. I can't imagine anybody not being tired of that.

Great review Theron -- your economy of words in this one is amazing.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Well, no series is ever completely designed with a single (or a couple) season(s) in mind when the source material is still ongoing, but I understand. That girl from episode 0 is still nowhere to be seen save for the OP/ED.
I have to wonder, though. Are there really 2 more episodes to go? What if it's just one? After all, this is a noitaminA show. Maybe it'll even continue into the next season? There's only Punchline announced for Spring.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I like this show more with each passing chapter.

Though I see how it could be similar to Hatoko's outburst in When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace, but I'll dare say that unlike in that show, this conversation was some sort of resolution to their conflict, and not just a middle point, though the problem between them is obviously far from over.

One of the things I like about this show is how the relationships between the male lead and the girls feels real, which is something that harem shows don't make me feel too often. Yup, this is pretty different for a harem show, but that doesn't mean it's criticizing harem series. I believe it's more like the author saying: "heeey, we can also do things this way while keeping it interesting".

Anyway, I'll be waiting for the next ep!
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The full fan-service is back and took some of the love I had for the series. I hope someone get the meaning behind all the "sexuality" of the new girl, so I can feel relieved about this episode. Score: 5 out of 10
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
I like how in a few scenes one of the girls would say "Where are you looking at?" when they were talking to Aki while the camera engaged in male gaze, as if it were addressing the audience and not Aki
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, sometimes fanservice is just fanservice..... Confused
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, sometimes fanservice is just fanservice..... Confused

I don't know, I think there was meaning to a lot of the fanservice. It was whenever Tomoya looked at Michiru that we got a better look on her chest and rear, for example, and the bath scene is certainly played for satirical purposes.

Anyway, upon Theron's recommendation, I went back to watch the first few episodes, and I was happy to discover a different sense to things, now that we're on the last stretch. I like it when shows make you go "oooh, so THAT'S what they meant!" on a second view.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Oh, that's definitely true 90%, maybe even 95% of the time. As someone who watches a lot of fan service-laden fare, though, I can assure you that there is a perceptible difference in how this series uses some (admittedly not all) of its fan service while still retaining it as fan service. Another series which does something somewhat similar with fan service is Ben-To, though it isn't quite as pointed in what it does as this one is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
itoko is posing for aki, tho (and you can be meta and say it's for the viewer) as in one of the last frames of her posin session she is standing in a completely unnatural way, she should be standing straight-ish, but instead she's bend her chest slightly forwards and curving her hips in a very unconfortable way.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I like how in a few scenes one of the girls would say "Where are you looking at?" when they were talking to Aki while the camera engaged in male gaze, as if it were addressing the audience and not Aki

in teh case of utaha, it's pretty obvious she is posing to the web cam.
kodim-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
The full fan-service is back and took some of the love I had for the series. I hope someone get the meaning behind all the "sexuality" of the new girl, so I can feel relieved about this episode. Score: 5 out of 10

Unfortunately, I agree with you... This episode was just 20 minutes of fanservice... It put ecchi shows to shame. I hoped that after last week's amazing episode it would only get better and better but this was just a bubble after all...
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10 Review wrote:
and direct in ways the that other girls are not and shows with her body language that she is unconcerned with physically being around Aki or how he might take it.

If he actually did moves on her she would be concerned then. She does that with him because she is confident he wouldn't. If he knew that was the way to make her quit being so provocative he probably would.

It will be interesting to see her reaction when she finds out that he hangs with more cute girls than she does.

Best LOL line: "At first I was ignoring you but then I forgot all about you." Those two get along great don't they.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
Well after your recent review I don't feel as crazy anymore in how I was pretty much telling people early on that there was quite a bit of satire and meta things early on. Perhaps a problem to some, the true satirical moments in the series can be so subtle that they are easy to miss for just being a poor example of the genre.

Personally I had a bit of a hard time trying to rationalise why fanservice suddenly became a major part this late in the season. That they were looking for the final touch for the game, and that at this point we understand where he stands in regards to the girls, seems to be significant. I think that I got the feeling that he was getting more embarrassed than usual in that he was indeed part of this male gaze as something that has changed compared to him earlier being largely uninterested.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny (and irritating) how much people are overreacting about the fanservice. "OH MY GOD BOOBS HOW DARE THEY I'M DROPPING THIS", is what I'm hearing. And then there are those typical people who complain about anime not being good anymore, and disregard everything that has boobs and ass, without taking the time to actually look further, ask questions and wonder why they decided to go full-on with the fanservice here, for this particular character and on this specific situation.

I won't say that the anime industry is filled with masterpieces, but damn, if fans won't even TRY to give things some thought, then they have no right to complain.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well after your recent review I don't feel as crazy anymore in how I was pretty much telling people early on that there was quite a bit of satire and meta things early on.

Oh, pretty much everyone acknowledge the meta stuff from the beginning (and at almost every stage since then). Only recently, though, has enough evidence accumulated to support the much more rigorous requirements for it to be worthy of the "satire" label.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, pretty much everyone acknowledge the meta stuff from the beginning (and at almost every stage since then). Only recently, though, has enough evidence accumulated to support the much more rigorous requirements for it to be worthy of the "satire" label.

Not entirely sure what the difference is.

What I know is that I was going into crazy rants about how small or cliché things at first glance were actually a comment on the genre and that the girls were meant to be ironic, especially as exaggerations of the archetypes. Which I think is fairly close to the definition of satire.

Back to this weeks review, I personally spotted that Megumi indeed had a reaction that she was not happy with the contents of him being with some girl. It was brief but was highlighted by the conversation that was earlier about how the others thought that they should make the heroine look more upset, which they then got Megumi to read the line which failed. It also acts I think as a good call-back to a reaction he had earlier to her hanging out with her male cousin. Part of the irony in the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8