• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Yurikuma Arashi Broadcast Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, look; the same handful of names in every other Funimation release. Not saying it'll be bad, but goddamn, Dallas has an active theatre community.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Really happy with this cast (but then again I'll watch anything with Monica Rial and/or Jamie Marchi)

I really hope the script is on point because this seems like a who that's very easy to screw up if you don't know what it is your supposed to be writing.

Also, for whatever reason I pictured David Wald as Life Sexy. Probably because of Gajeel's "Shoo be do ba". Damned Fairy Tail.
Grungehamster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Oh, look; the same handful of names in every other Funimation release. Not saying it'll be bad, but goddamn, Dallas has an active theatre community.

Actually, if you look at the recent simuldubs, there are a LOT of new people being cast in the shows. This one is virtually all veterans, which is alright by me after Utena and Penguindrum.

My only concern is Alexis Tipton, who is actually one of my favorite VAs recently. I've seen her play sickly sweet romance harem protagonist, or painfully shy wallflowers, or the loud and obnoxious female supporting character (THAT is what I love her for most), but can anyone think of a role where she has played someone quiet yet determined? If she can pull off an appropriate voice I bet she'll knock it out of the park, but I just can't hear any of the voices I associate with her coming out of Kureha.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The rest of the cast isn't who I immediately thought of but I guessed right about Monica Rial playing Ginko since, whether by coincidence or not, seiyuu connections are quite common in English dubs (Crispin Freeman and Jamieson Price being cast a lot as Jouji Nakata characters, Vic Mignogna cast as a lot of Mamoru Miyano characters) and she's the only Texas VA to play Miho Arakawa character. Not to mention she's been cast in a bunch of these broadcast dubs (Not complaining though because Rial is always good).

I'd rather not be reminded of the awful Penguindrum dub, but I don't see why she can't pull it off. Besides, out of the 3 decent performances in the show she was the best in her role.

Kind of ironic that J Michael Tatum, a gay guy, is playing a character who represents homophobia in society but... well, it's J Michael Tatum. He's an amazing actor and I can't see a scenario where this doesn't work out unless his lack of enthusiasm is on the same level as... Well, 90% of the actors in the Penguindrum dub.

But I digress. Super excited this is getting a dub and even more excited that it's being handled by people who I trust to put out a competent dub. Just hope they can balance staying faithful and making the dialogue flow. I haven't seen Utena's dub so I can't comment on that. Penguindrum was faithful, but the dialogue was so awkward that it was distracting so I definitely think the script needs to take a few liberties. But if they go too far, they could completely ruin the show. Fingers crossed it all works out.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Grungehamster wrote:
My only concern is Alexis Tipton...but can anyone think of a role where she has played someone quiet yet determined? If she can pull off an appropriate voice I bet she'll knock it out of the park, but I just can't hear any of the voices I associate with her coming out of Kureha.

To me the character she played in Guilty Crown seems to fit the quiet yet determined personality.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Grungehamster wrote:
My only concern is Alexis Tipton...but can anyone think of a role where she has played someone quiet yet determined? If she can pull off an appropriate voice I bet she'll knock it out of the park, but I just can't hear any of the voices I associate with her coming out of Kureha.

To me the character she played in Guilty Crown seems to fit the quiet yet determined personality.

I think Saya in Blood-C fits the "quiet yet determined" archetype. At least as it pertains to the last couple of episodes and the movie
Grungehamster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Grungehamster wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I think Saya in Blood-C fits the "quiet yet determined" archetype. At least as it pertains to the last couple of episodes and the movie

...how did I forget Saya (other than how goofy she was in the early episodes)? Put me in the "**** yeah" category.
{Fixed your quotes for you. This post constitutes your mulligan. ~nbahn}
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
But I digress. Super excited this is getting a dub and even more excited that it's being handled by people who I trust to put out a competent dub. Just hope they can balance staying faithful and making the dialogue flow. I haven't seen Utena's dub so I can't comment on that. Penguindrum was faithful, but the dialogue was so awkward that it was distracting so I definitely think the script needs to take a few liberties. But if they go too far, they could completely ruin the show. Fingers crossed it all works out.

You think the problem with the Penguindrum dub was that it was too faithful and they didn't bullshit enough made up dialogue?

Wow.

No, the problem with the Penguindrum dub was terrible voice actors (outside a few) and a horrible ADR director (two, actually). Taking more liberties doesn't make a dub better, it makes it a different show than intended. What Yurikuma needs is competence, not a broad interpretation of the material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
First off, you really to fix that condescending attitude.

By being 'too faithful' I mean they literally just read off the subtitle script and maybe changed a few words if it didn't match the lip flaps with no regard as to whether or not it even sounded like how human beings talked. To avoid something like that, you do need to take liberties because Japanese and English do not translate 1:1. What makes a competent dub is knowing when it's right to take liberties and when to leave it as is.

Of course the Penguindrum dub is deeply flawed in many, many regards (I don't think Illich Guardiola delivered one good line as Kanba) but if you've got a shitty script written by a guy who couldn't care less about what they're working on and cast the actors in roles they're clearly not suited for there's not a lot they can do other than just go through the motions.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
I can't recall an anime English dub that I felt was "too literal". A good voice actor can make any line work and a good ADR director can get that out of them. I know that the two languages are different, and of course you have to account for things like that when dealing with things like word puns or untranslatable expressions. But with a few exceptions, it shouldn't be the job of the English dub writers to start making up their own dialogue for the show just to make it more palatable for Western audiences. You have to be as accurate as possible and let the viewer decide whether it's palatable based on its own merits.

Penguindrum's dub was lackluster because the ADR directors failed and most of the voice actors weren't exactly great, either. Monica Rial and Emily Neves practically had to carry that entire production on their backs. The problem with Sentai dubs is a lack of talent, not literalism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
It's not a lack of talent because there are many, many talented people working for Sentai. It's a lack of effort that makes their dubs suck. Writing a script that not only matches the lip flaps but sounds like natural speech is a vital step in any English dub which, for the most part, they just skip over. English subtitles are made so we can understand what they're saying but if you read them out loud it doesn't sound like people holding a conversation. You realise that its just a bunch of actors reading off a script and that sucks you out of the experience. And that's why you need to do something about it.

You cast a middle aged man who sounds like a middle aged man as a teenager who's supposed to sound like a teenager and then proceed to hand him a script that sounds like gibberish.... I'm sorry, but there is no chance he is going to pull it off. It doesn't matter how talented you are, it wil not sound right no matter what you do. That much should be common sense.

In terms of dubs that just throw in lines and lines of stuff that weren't in the original Funimation, at least as of the late 2000s, are not even the type who does that sort of stuff. In a show like Highschool DxD they might throw in a dirty joke here and there when the scene permits but that isn't exactly show breaking. Hell, if you ask me the jokes they wrote were a lot funnier than the generic ecchi humour in the original.

Hell, I was actually really surprised how faithful The Devil is a Part Timer (Which was also directed by Bevins and wrriten by Marchi) was to the original.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
If the script is bad, that just means the show is bad, or at least untranslatable, which means the licensor shouldn't have licensed it to begin with. Leave it to the viewer to decide that instead of trying to change the show to make it "better".

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
It's not a lack of talent because there are many, many talented people working for Sentai. It's a lack of effort that makes their dubs suck.

Hard work has to be in concert with talent. You can put in as much effort as you want, but if you don't have a talent for the work, your effort is worth very little. It doesn't matter how much hard work you do, if you don't have a knack for it, you shouldn't be doing it, at least not professionally. Get into another field and let talented people do it instead.

If the result of Sentai's work continues to be terrible dubs, it's a little hard to believe there's that many talented people working for them. But I will admit there are some VAs that work for both Sentai and Funimation that do better under Funimation, which leads me to believe that perhaps it's the ADR directors' fault.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
For those of you who where wondering the script writer for Yurikuma is Jamie Marchi
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:

Same goes for the Japanese.
Yuki Terumi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You think the problem with the Penguindrum dub was that it was too faithful and they didn't bullshit enough made up dialogue?

Wow.

No, the problem with the Penguindrum dub was terrible voice actors (outside a few) and a horrible ADR director (two, actually). Taking more liberties doesn't make a dub better, it makes it a different show than intended. What Yurikuma needs is competence, not a broad interpretation of the material.

considering steven [expletive] foster adr directed this dub..im surpised it wasnt a complete train wreck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3