• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime to the Big Screen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
There also was a Guyver movie starring Mark Hamill from 1992, never watched it but it looked kinda stupid.

Just wanted to point out that Hamill plays the VILLAIN, not Guyver. And there were two Guyver movies, Guyver and Guyver 2: Dark Hero. They're both pretty bad, and you used to be able to catch them on the SciFi Channel all the time but I don't know if they still show them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

I heard it drifted a lot from the comics. Also so many deleted scenes because they thought the public would have a prob withspoiler[ tank girl shaggin her 'roo]

Shocked OOOOKAAAAY! Shocked

Yeah, I can see why that was left out.
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

I heard it drifted a lot from the comics. Also so many deleted scenes because they thought the public would have a prob withspoiler[ tank girl shaggin her 'roo]

Shocked OOOOKAAAAY! Shocked

Yeah, I can see why that was left out.

Actually, it wasn't. It's very clear in the movie that they 'did the deed.'
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

Ah. It's been a while since I've seen it.
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
TheVok wrote:

Ah. It's been a while since I've seen it.

Don't get me wrong, they didn't show it; they just showed the, uh, afterglow.

Anyway, so this thread is supposed to be about live-action movies based on anime, but the only one mentioned so far is 'Guyver.' There's some evidence this could become something of a trend, though, given the definite plans for 'Speed Racer' and the far more tentative plans for 'Neon Genesis Evangelion.'

So ... does anyone know of any others?

And if not, what would be on your wish list?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

And if not, what would be on your wish list?

Well, if this is going to be about anime that would translate well into live action, I have to nominate Witch Hunter Robin. Not only could the storyline be easily adapted to the big screen but so could the action scenes. The "witchcraft" would be very easy to do with computer graphics.

Gungrave would be another good one. Guns, Mafia, honor, betrayal and the Undead! How much better than that can it get.

Geneshaft might be another good one. At least it would be a great vehicle for the Up and Coming Young, Hot Hollywood crowd to get exposure.
D_man71200

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
You all make pretty good points but avatar as a movie sounds cool but couldn't they have found some one better.This cannot be the same old M.Night type of movie don't get me wrong i like his work but I'm not to sure about this.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
LA Anime is dangerous grounds to walk on. As someone mentioned, a lot of companies don't want to take a chance with something new, and would rather make money off the inital burst of fans from a previously exsisting franchise. Of course, i will still go to see it despite my inital reaction or reviews. I'm going to see the UNderdog movie (even though I KNOW it's going to bomb big time) because it's a show I grew up on and want to see the transition. I feel I don't have any right to put down a show and discourage people to see it if I haven't seen it.

With that said, there are several animes that I'd like to see and I think are possible. I think a Hellsing LA is very possible (I see Keira Knightly as Seras). Two animes that I myself am planning to write into movie scripts are Elfen Lied and...brace yourself for this...

Excel Saga

I feel Elfen Lied has a lot of potential to be a great movie IF it can get by all the red tape that would undoubtedly be put up to restrict a few things (naked 12 year old girls for one, but there are ways around it), and I think if it maintains the same concept that it was created in it could be a great movie. It owuld have to stay R, however, I'm still upset that Battle Angel is already labeled as PG-13, which leaves me completely downtroddened.

Excel Saga, either you love it or hate it. There really is not much basis for this other than I think it's possible but it'll be very challenging to write/create. Mainly, I just want to see Robin Williams as Dr. Kapabapu. I think it has great potential to be a good movie, despite the complete insanity and spontaneousness of ths anime.[/b]
Shinjí90

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
LA Anime is dangerous grounds to walk on. As someone mentioned, a lot of companies don't want to take a chance with something new, and would rather make money off the inital burst of fans from a previously exsisting franchise. Of course, i will still go to see it despite my inital reaction or reviews. I'm going to see the UNderdog movie (even though I KNOW it's going to bomb big time) because it's a show I grew up on and want to see the transition. I feel I don't have any right to put down a show and discourage people to see it if I haven't seen it.

With that said, there are several animes that I'd like to see and I think are possible. I think a Hellsing LA is very possible (I see Keira Knightly as Seras). Two animes that I myself am planning to write into movie scripts are Elfen Lied and...brace yourself for this...

Excel Saga

I feel Elfen Lied has a lot of potential to be a great movie IF it can get by all the red tape that would undoubtedly be put up to restrict a few things (naked 12 year old girls for one, but there are ways around it), and I think if it maintains the same concept that it was created in it could be a great movie. It owuld have to stay R, however, I'm still upset that Battle Angel is already labeled as PG-13, which leaves me completely downtroddened.

Excel Saga, either you love it or hate it. There really is not much basis for this other than I think it's possible but it'll be very challenging to write/create. Mainly, I just want to see Robin Williams as Dr. Kapabapu. I think it has great potential to be a good movie, despite the complete insanity and spontaneousness of ths anime.[/b]

ya i thought of how a live action elfen lied movie would be great but like you said the things about 12yr old girls spoiler[being naked and being molested by their stepfather ] might be a little hard to pass in american theaters.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added. And "alil" is not a word. ~Zalis]
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Rewriting is a part of the editing process. Mayu could have been seriously neglected or verbally abused, instead of raped. The camera could show the younger dicloni in positions that suggest they are naked, without actually showing any parts of the body that would be considered innappropriate (although i would fight to put Lucy completed naked, to show the audience the kind of deplorable condition these girls are kept in). Yuka and kouta could be long-time friends instead of cousins (considering how touchy a subject it is over here).

There are plenty of other ways to rewrite it, you don't want an exact copy of the original but you want it to stay true to it's origins. This is easier to do with shows that don't have a singular plot like Elfen Lied where only one idea is prevelant throughout the show. There's probably a better way to put that...

Think of Transformers and the show. Although the entire point was to stop the decepticons, each episode didn't necissarily build off the last. The motion picture that came out didn't follow any exact plot from an episode, rather they created a new one that would, in the original Transformer's universe, be acceptable. Elfen Lied is about one thing, and only one way to get to the end. Subtleties can be made here and there, but you can't, in my opinion, change the whole premise of the show. There are many ways you can INTERPRET it, but that's still a difficult position.

What I fear the most though, is someone casting Hillary Duff or Lindsay Lohan as Lucy. I can't explain it properly, but I imagine something like Anne Franks Diary from Robot Chicken. Reference that to Elfen Lied if either of those girls played Lucy's part.
Shinjí90

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
i wouldnt trust holly wood with making an live action elfen lied they'd get some crappy actors and really tear up the whole story :c(
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
That's why you need a fan of the show to write it. Very Happy
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see them bring Escaflowne to the big screen. I don't know why, because I am sure that they would ruin it, but its such a good story.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Guyver 2 was actually a pretty good flick...budget wise it was done for under a million dollars but, the special effects are pretty doggone good for so cheap a film. Also, the martial arts sequences were fantastic and the level of violence was awesome. On top of all that, even the storyline was pretty good although, the pacing was a bit off and there wasn't quite enough Guyver action in it. It felt a bit overly long considering it's over two hours but those are minor gripes. If anyone else doesn't mind cheesy special effects but is looking for a pretty good story with some decent acting (it starred David Hayter as Sean Barker/Guyver 1), then check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have any information about the 2009 release of Battle Angel?

It's a movie I fear simply because it's already been rated PG-13, but other than that I know nothing about it's release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7