• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Replaces Deadman Wonderland Rerun With Attack on Titan Rerun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

They can survive by not spending a lot of money.

Not spending a lot of money doesn't mean you are profitable or sustainable. I get that some people working on Toonami do it as a passion product, but airing shows at 12-3 AM just doesn't seem worth it.

It affords them to need just only a million viewers or less.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Too maim said they don't have the budget for another new show after Sword Art Online 2. Basically, the next new show is after KLK. Since they had the rights to AOT still, and it was heavily requested by fans, they brought it back.

I would rather see IGPX personally though, but AOT is cool.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
damn when did the AOT backlash start? I thought it was still the Second Coming.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
damn when did the AOT backlash start? I thought it was still the Second Coming.

Jesus is coming soon?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Trying to argue with penguintruth on various things isn't easy.

Agreed. Sometimes I wonder if there's ever been a thread he commented on that didn't turn into a flame war.

That'd be the end of my comment, but I'm afraid the mods would delete it for not being "constructive" enough. So I'll follow it with a comment that isn't really that much more constructive anyway.

This entire community, and the bulk of anime fans in general, is nothing but a bunch of pretentious buttholes. (I would have typed the more aggressive version, but obviously that would have been edited out anyway for not being PG enough). I hate you all so much.

Sorry for that, just felt like putting it out there. Being on this site long enough and reading everyone's comments really makes you realize how annoying everyone can be. I know, "If you don't like it, then don't pay attention to it!" Well no, you see, I like putting myself through this misery. The pain is comforting. Moving on. With these people, you can't like anything without being labeled as having "sh*t taste." Everyone's so high up on themselves, and forget enjoying a popular anime. Because if you do you're nothing but a "pleb" or a "casual." Or as some soapboxer said previously on this thread, you apparently are just content with being "spoonfed" your Japanese cartoons. Whatever the heck that's supposed to mean. We're just talking about Japanese cartoons here, don't get so personal about it.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
^^^

Every fandom is full of pretentious buttholes.

In the gaming fandom, if you show a slight interest in consoles, the PC crowd want to crucify you upside down.

Can one even say 'Michael Jackson's last few albums (from HIStory to Invincible) were underwhelming' without other MJ fans denying that the guy, as good as he was, had some low points, musically just like everybody else?

And there's a story about some crazy Barcelona fanboy in Iraq who killed his 'friend' just because he was a Real Madrid supporter.

I get a lot of heat if I mention that I liked Gundam AGE.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
SEGAtheGENESIS151 wrote:
Guess the people at Toonami think that people just CAN'T get enough of AoT.

That or it simply happens to be the best option available right now. They've said that reruns don't do so great regardless of what they are, and that is bound to be more so the case with things that have rerun multiple times already. I'm guessing they still had the rights to air reruns, so it isn't costing them extra, and it is probably going to do better than anything else they have on hand.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Yawn. I've been kinda-sorta keeping up with Dragon Ball and Inuyasha for nostalgia's sake, but it'd be nice to hear about some new acquisitions for Toonami soon - especially simulcasts like Space Dandy or original co-productions like Big O.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
captokita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Cowboy Bebop in HD would have been better than either of them. AoT is garbage and rerunning it won't really bring in the ratings. They are better off with something like Legend of the Legendary Heroes or some other 2-cour Funimation action anime.

No way, CB has been played to death on AS/Toonami. Enough with that series already. AoT only ran once, and it's partial repeat before their brilliant redo on their schedule. DW is on it's 2nd run now.

AoT at least is getting another season, you likely will never see more DW. It really baffled me they bothered to run it in the first place. "Hey guys, don't expect an ending here, it's just gonna stop and that's it." If you watched it originally, you knew this going in, but the casual Toonami viewer that only gets their anime from there will be lost. Probably pissed.

As for Legend of the Legendary Heroes etc, I'd be happy to see them play more new, that is, never before broadcast, stuff, but the folks over at AS have made it clear many times they hate anime. They'd rather run more stoner shows anyway, like Tim and Eric, or more Family Guy / American Dad episodes, because we haven't seen that enough either.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
captokita wrote:

but the folks over at AS have made it clear many times they hate anime. They'd rather run more stoner shows anyway, like Tim and Eric, or more Family Guy / American Dad episodes, because we haven't seen that enough either.

Hahahaha, you're just being trolled. Check this out:

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2015-02-27/.85411

And they're running more Family Guy and American Dad simply because those get Nielsen ratings, even when people have seen them multiple times. Such shows have high rerun value like Seinfeld, another one that people still watch even though they've already seen the eps multiple times.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
captokita wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Cowboy Bebop in HD would have been better than either of them. AoT is garbage and rerunning it won't really bring in the ratings. They are better off with something like Legend of the Legendary Heroes or some other 2-cour Funimation action anime.

No way, CB has been played to death on AS/Toonami. Enough with that series already. AoT only ran once, and it's partial repeat before their brilliant redo on their schedule. DW is on it's 2nd run now.

As for Legend of the Legendary Heroes etc, I'd be happy to see them play more new, that is, never before broadcast, stuff, but the folks over at AS have made it clear many times they hate anime. They'd rather run more stoner shows anyway, like Tim and Eric, or more Family Guy / American Dad episodes, because we haven't seen that enough either.

Before it got pulled(and I'm not saying CB is great, just better than AoT or DW), this was the first time that they had ever shown it in HD. It should be seen in HD since it is cell animation. Bebop is also very episodic where Titan is not.

DeMarco has said that AS plays more anime for longer than any other cable network. You'd think if they hated it so much they wouldn't bother with it. Running DBZ Kai at 8 pm is not a sign of Adult Swim hating anime. I realize they probably have a limited budget but they really need to expand what they show from Funi. Noir is in HD(since Funi is realising it on Bluray) and that would also be a great fit too even if it's is a bit of the old side for Toonami.
captokita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Before it got pulled(and I'm not saying CB is great, just better than AoT or DW), this was the first time that they had ever shown it in HD. It should be seen in HD since it is cell animation. Bebop is also very episodic where Titan is not.

Not everyone's cable has the HD CN - I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't, joy, so it makes no difference which version they run. It doesn't change the fact it's been run to death on there. Better than DW or AoT? To YOU maybe. (I'm not even going to say you're wrong, because I sort of agree with you.)

Quote:
DeMarco has said that AS plays more anime for longer than any other cable network. You'd think if they hated it so much they wouldn't bother with it.

Yet they've killed the Sat night anime in the past before. The fact they cut Toonami down kinda proves it also. Pick up Kill la Kill and drop half the block, yeah, they sure love the anime fans. Remember when they played some sort of anime every night? It's not tough to be the biggest player of anime. They bother to an extent because it DOES get viewers. Retaining those viewers though, is tough for ANY channel.

Quote:
Running DBZ Kai at 8 pm is not a sign of Adult Swim hating anime.

Nor is it a sign they want it either. What were they running before? Oblongs? It's a test run, to see if there is interest in an earlier viewing. Lots of people on their message boards were pretty mad One Piece got such a late slot.

I want anime to succeed on there as much as anyone on this site does, but given their previous track record, I'm amazed Toonami has lasted as long as it has.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
captokita wrote:
Quote:

DeMarco has said that AS plays more anime for longer than any other cable network. You'd think if they hated it so much they wouldn't bother with it.

Yet they've killed the Sat night anime in the past before. The fact they cut Toonami down kinda proves it also. Pick up Kill la Kill and drop half the block, yeah, they sure love the anime fans. Remember when they played some sort of anime every night? It's not tough to be the biggest player of anime. They bother to an extent because it DOES get viewers. Retaining those viewers though, is tough for ANY channel.

Really, check this out - many of your thoughts are answered, including why CN execs ordered to cut Toonami's hours:

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2015-02-27/.85411

captokita wrote:

Lots of people on their message boards were pretty mad One Piece got such a late slot.

One Piece timeslot got pushed lower since it's a ratings sink in Toonami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4