• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Steve Blum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:47 am Reply with quote
^ Not sure what the LA traffic comments have to do with 80s - 90s dubs, but Marc Diraison played Guts in the Berserk dubs, not Blum.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
Well, he was asked about what the hardest part of his work was, and he made a joke about Los Angeles traffic. And I had to agree with him as I put up with it repeatedly nearly every day.

MarshalBanana wrote:
He has done some memorable video game roles, one of the most notable was Ares in God of War. My favourite was the Thugs-4-Less leader in ratchet and Clank. Check out a list of his works, you've probably heard him in something and not known that it was him.

I'm looking forward to his work as Countershade in Mighty No. 9. That guy is such a Steve Blum character.

I don't think he's as known in video game circles as he is in anime circles though, mainly because the voice talent pool is larger in video games than anime, because characters aren't as tied to their voice actors in video games, and because some games use big-name celebrities from movies, TV shows, and music to voice characters and overshadow everyone else.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Insults aside, there are people, now, in the fan community that are just as "pathetic" as this, both in the US and abroad. I'm sure we've all read the stories on ANN where fans stalk certain singers and seiyuu for all sorts of reasons, not to mentions the ones that take pride in taking photos of them with significant others, only to report these photos so that said famous person runs the risk of losing their career.

That sounds like the sort of bitter rivalry fans can have in any sufficiently popular medium.
levonr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
For original animation, I would say the biggest challenge for me is just getting there, because traffic's so terrible in L.A.

Amen. We don't have the most jammed traffic in the world, or even the country (it gets pretty bad in Hololulu and Boston), but we definitely have the rudest.

and considering how anime dubbing was back in the 80s and 90's its a big improvement . though he definitely nailed some roles back then. one is garra for the bastard ovas and of course guts for the beserk tv series which was why he was chosen to reprise his role for the movies.

Marc Diraison sounds nothing like Steve Blum...

I love Steve Blum, but he wasn't that good in the early 90's. It wasn't until the late 90's that he started to greatly improve.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
and considering how anime dubbing was back in the 80s and 90's its a big improvement . though he definitely nailed some roles back then. one is garra for the bastard ovas and of course guts for the beserk tv series which was why he was chosen to reprise his role for the movies.

Bastard wasn't dubbed into English until 2001, you would be surprised how long some of those shows were around for before they were dubbed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
I'm about to watch Digimon Tamers dubbed for the first time today.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, he was asked about what the hardest part of his work was, and he made a joke about Los Angeles traffic. And I had to agree with him as I put up with it repeatedly nearly every day.

No, I understood why you mentioned it. I just didn't get why jr0904 quoted you quoting Blum without adding so much as a QFT!. Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I could totally understand that, all three of them are so good. :D

Nice!

Yeah, but I really just wanted to talk to them. I wasn't trying to do the voice acting bit, plus I know my voice would sound horrendous on an anime character; for the curious, it was for Haruhi Suzumiya, where male participants voiced Kyon while female participants voiced the main lady herself. Amazingly there was one guy who was so good as Kyon that he was asked to put his name and number on a clipboard for possible voice work training in the future. Wonder whatever happened to him.

Thanks, the photo is enough for me anyway. Like my hideous nerdy voice could ever work in anime anyway. I'd probably kill a herd of elephants and make babies cry if my voice was ever in a dub. XD
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I actually like Guilmon (and that story ;-Wink. Laughing Ta-KA-TO-MON! Blum was also in Digimon Frontier.
noigeL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Bastard wasn't dubbed into English until 2001, you would be surprised how long some of those shows were around for before they were dubbed.

Bastard was a simultaneous sub/dub VHS release from the mid-to-late 90s.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Bastard was a simultaneous sub/dub VHS release from the mid-to-late 90s.

That's what I get for trusting behind the Voices Actors then.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana, I think Behind the Voice Actor is generally accurate, but it's accuracy is dependent on those that enter the info.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ Not sure what the LA traffic comments have to do with 80s - 90s dubs, but Marc Diraison played Guts in the Berserk dubs, not Blum.

i'm afraid that might be one of those alias that union VA like himself, Miss Seph ,JYB and also Yugi's VA as well as Satoshi's VA uses from time to time when series are either have questionable content or involves with those union-non union rules that are way too confusing cause their not gonna fool the diehard english dub fans.

though i can be wrong at times, but considering that both the TV series and movies version of guts sounds so uncanny that it have to be him using and alias.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

i'm afraid that might be one of those alias that union VA like himself

nope. they are two very different people
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
but considering that both the TV series and movies version of guts sounds so uncanny that it have to be him using and alias.

Its not uncanny at all, they don't sound anything alike.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4