• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:
Not really, that's more part of the comedy of this show. Im pretty sure we, as the audience, were meant to find it awkward/funny, considering the animation style this show uses is very flat and cartoonish (ya know, something benefitting a comedy), as opposed to, say, Queens Blade, where the designs are very voluptuous and "shiny" (to better emphasize the girls curves).

I don't think you can really compare male fanservice with female fanservice. They'll focus on different things. Men will never really be drawn as shiny or curvy because curvy isn't a traditional desirable trait for men to have.

DmonHiro wrote:
No, smart-ass, it's because this show is like Gintama and HIgh School Boys. The humor is entirely hit-or-miss, with no in between.

I'm a really big fan of Pretty Cure, but this show so far seems below average for me because it lacks a lot of the more in-depth writing that Pretty Cure has. Maybe it's because I'm not into bishounen and that might be one of the main draws of it and story is second to the pretty boys.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Eldritcho wrote:
Not really, that's more part of the comedy of this show. Im pretty sure we, as the audience, were meant to find it awkward/funny, considering the animation style this show uses is very flat and cartoonish (ya know, something benefitting a comedy), as opposed to, say, Queens Blade, where the designs are very voluptuous and "shiny" (to better emphasize the girls curves).

I don't think you can really compare male fanservice with female fanservice. They'll focus on different things. Men will never really be drawn as shiny or curvy because curvy isn't a traditional desirable trait for men to have.

True, not in the way I described it. But I was more just trying to make a point about how shots are focused on body parts in such scenes, and the animators tends to put a lot more "loving" detail into the characters physical features. That and the scenes tend to have a lot of bloom.

But yes, generally, men don't "giggle" in fanservice shows like women do.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Let's not turn this thread into a fanservice debate pls.

I'm hoping this show has some "feel-sy" skits at least. Meganebu! is something I compare this show to a lot because they're both wacky and over the top but at least Meganebu! was balanced with the friendship/bonding scenes and had emotional moments. This show seems to be more comedy so far.

Guys, if you don't find it funny or amusing, just drop it. I don't think it's going to step outside of the parody genre any time soon.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
No offense, but I'm seriously starting to wonder why the reviewers are just so negative. I'm not only referring to this write-up, but also other shows like Psycho Pass 2. I enjoyed PP2 even though it had some issues.

Anyways, I love this anime. It's provided me exactly what I thought it would; Campiness. Never once did I think that this show would have an awesome plot. What I expected was a male version parody of SM-type filler episodes, and that's exactly what's been delivered.

To me, the joke hasn't gotten old. That's what the series is about. And, as for fanservice, the series could use some more. Why is it that Yufuin hasn't gotten any scandalous transformation scenes yet? The other guys have random sparkles surrounding their bits and pieces, and yet Cerulean gets no love? Sadness. Extreme sadness.

Team Ceru, BTW. Laughing

Anyways, true to magical girl formula, I predict a beach episode sometime in the near future.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
Lately, many of the "magical girl" shows are made for men to enjoy. The fanservice in this episode basically seemed to be mimicking the stuff found in those shows.

So yeah, it's definitely fanservice. But it sure comes off like parody to me.

So far, as long as the show keeps making me laugh, I'll keep watching.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
While i wasn't really blown away by a lot of the jokes in the first few episodes, this episode had me laughing much more consistently. Hopefully they can keep this up.
iatheia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
As happy as I am that we might be finally getting some development in the plot territory, this show really can't afford to introduce new characters of even semi-major importance, considering that it keeps wasting time and not doing anything with the ones it already has..
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
episode 7
the okama was not pointless, he was a red herring so to speak; I think I was not the only one expecting this episode to go to the generic monster fo the week formula, the okama was there to make you think he was going to be this weeks' monster, that was also the reason the student council was there, just to have the tension that we woudl get a monster of the week. that was pretty clever.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Anyways, true to magical girl formula, I predict a beach episode sometime in the near future.

I should buy a lotto ticket Laughing

Quote:
That's all well and good for the fans who tune in for such things, but this isn't a yaoi series that viewers expect to value ecchi situations over plot. Shows like Free! manage to balance fanservice and plot without any filler episodes..

This series is a parody. It is not meant to have a plot other than making fun of the whole mahou shoujo genre. Seven episodes in and you're still hung up on this series having an actual storyline. Any plot that occurs, at this point, I would expect would exist just to make fun of the fact that this genre always expects hormonal teenagers to save the world because adults with combat experience can't be depended upon.

You can not compare this series to Free! because Free! is not a parody. I find it almost insulting that you've been an anime fan for 20 years and yet can't grasp that this series is supposed to be a parody, but you continue to insist that it be one.

Considering that many shows in the mahou shoujo genre have pairings and fanservice, it's about time that this show tackles this concept with the staple beach episode.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
You find it "insulting" that someone dared to have an opinion that differed from yours? To whom is it an insult? Yeesh...

Also, the reviewer wasn't comparing the series as a whole to Free! - she merely compared the fanservice-to-story ratios of both shows. (The nerve!) Dismissing any complaints about a lack of plot development on the grounds that this is a parody show is a cop-out. There are plenty of series that function primarily as genre parodies but still feature cohesive plots. Furthermore, if you want to shut down any criticism of the series because it's a parody, keep in mind that there are varying degrees of parody. Personally, I'm not sure Binan fits into the "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING CAN BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, EVERY SECOND IS OFF-THE-WALL WACKINESS" category, but that's debatable.

I'm not sure if you've been following these reviews from the beginning, but the reviewer is clearly aware that the series is a parody - and has stated that fact numerous times. However, being parodic in nature doesn't absolve it of criticism.
amcnulty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You can not compare this series to Free! because Free! is not a parody. I find it almost insulting that you've been an anime fan for 20 years and yet can't grasp that this series is supposed to be a parody, but you continue to insist that it be one.

When have I EVER stated that it's not a parody? I think I write the words "parody" or "parodic" at least 5-10 times per review. I think you saw the letter grade this time and were so enraged you missed the fact that I had other things to say besides "it's a parody, so all is forgiven and it can do no wrong." I still think C range episodes are good, just not as great as higher graded shows, so relax. It's not a personal insult to you, nor is it an insult to a show I LIKE.

Quote:

I'm not sure if you've been following these reviews from the beginning, but the reviewer is clearly aware that the series is a parody - and has stated that fact numerous times. However, being parodic in nature doesn't absolve it of criticism.

Word. Cool

Last edited by amcnulty on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
amcnulty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
episode 7
the okama was not pointless, he was a red herring so to speak; I think I was not the only one expecting this episode to go to the generic monster fo the week formula, the okama was there to make you think he was going to be this weeks' monster, that was also the reason the student council was there, just to have the tension that we woudl get a monster of the week. that was pretty clever.

Good theory! Smile
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I suspect Mardi-Gras-waiter-dude is a bit too unusual to just be a throwaway character; if he was a more generic okama type, he might just have been part of the "gay beach" joke, but that elaborate a character design suggests to me that he'll be back (and maybe responsible for some of the out-of-character behavior this week).

But I still want to know what's going on with the journalism club and their fish, especially with the evil cameo last week.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Also, the reviewer wasn't comparing the series as a whole to Free! - she merely compared the fanservice-to-story ratios of both shows.

But that's like comparing the peel-to-fruit ratios of an apple and an orange.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
^ Which is a perfectly legitimate thing to do if you want to compare and contrast those two things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5