• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Kisses Heard 'Round the World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fencer_x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
I clicked on this link prepared to raise hell if Shion and Nezumi's kiss didn't make the list--but I think your reasoning is off. The reason it's such a big deal is not because ~ooh two guys~ but because No.6 isn't a BL manga, was not presented in any way as having any sort of relationship between the two male MCs, and so readers/viewers weren't expecting what had thus far only been slashy fanservice to turn out NOT to be fanservice at all but exactly what it presented itself as: flirting and a developing relationship with payoff.

You also kind of missed the point of the kiss too, though; Nezumi's "rare smile" afterward isn't one of joy or relief or anything like that :/ It's bittersweet, and perhaps a better kiss would be their second one if you want something a bit more uplifting.
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
Just another person chipping in (since it seems to be controversial) to say Black Lagoon was a good call: a unique, memorable moment in a unique, memorable show.

But agreed with others that Haruhi and Kyon should really be on this list. I can only assume the list maker must have watched the show in Haruhi order rather than Kyon order.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Fred the Barber wrote:
But agreed with others that Haruhi and Kyon should really be on this list.

I have not seen most of what is on the list so I cannot judge if the Haruhi kiss is more worthy of being on the list than any of them, but I think that it was a great kiss.
The story led up to that scene very well, and it was nicely executed.
In terms of the possible consequences it must have been one of the most significant and important kisses in anime.
It also helps that Haruhi is one of my favorite characters and seeing her in that situation was very nice.

Quote:
I can only assume the list maker must have watched the show in Haruhi order rather than Kyon order.

Oh please, no.
Broadcast order, DVD order, and chronological order were bad enough. Now we have "Haruhi order" and "Kyon order"?
I am really glad that I do not care. A person could go crazy trying to watch Haruhi in the "right" order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Pffft come on, there are WAY better kisses out there!! Taiga and Ryuuji do deserve their spot....but the lack of shoujo in general is quite disappointing.

I wonder why only seven were chosen....you'd think they do at least ten?
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ahh, sorry, that's just me using the wrong terminology (don't know where I got it from). Haruhi order = chronological order, Kyon order = broadcast order. ... Probably.
bolekb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, not a single mention of Nisemonogatari. Poor little Mayoi.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Pffft come on, there are WAY better kisses out there!! Taiga and Ryuuji do deserve their spot....but the lack of shoujo in general is quite disappointing.

I wonder why only seven were chosen....you'd think they do at least ten?

Welcome to the column! It's always 7 except in a few rare cases where I had enough unique entries and couldn't make up my mind (so sometimes 8, and in one case I think 9) or sometimes less if the topic is pretty niche where I'll have 6. Vast majority is 7.

I can't really say if there's a lack of shoujo unless you mean in a traditional sense. Utena's probably shojo, demographic wise (although it has very broad appeal), Sion x Nezumi's target audience is also women, as is Lovely Complex. That's a little less than half the entries.

I'd love to see some examples of memorable kisses from other shojo series. I know I've seen more but none are sticking out right now.

Fred the Barber wrote:
Ahh, sorry, that's just me using the wrong terminology (don't know where I got it from). Haruhi order = chronological order, Kyon order = broadcast order. ... Probably.

I only watched the show in broadcast order way back when it aired. I don't know if that affects how memorable the kiss was. It was one of the entries up for consideration but I axed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Fred the Barber wrote:

Meaningless information of the day: In the original "on the next episode" segments, Haruhi would say the right show only to have Kyon correct her with the next broadcast show. The DVDs simply have Yuki do them.

And now you know. Anyway, I'd thought the 2009 rebroadcast would have made the original argument pointless because now neither DVD seasons are in broadcast order!

As for kisses, no one's mentioned one of my favorites; Yuichi {kind of Kyon} and Ayu from Kanon 2006? Unlike Haruhi Suzumiya, at least it doesn't get dismissed as a dream by both parties {ok, it's technically spoiler[with a ghost] but doesn't that just increase the romance factor?}.

And then there's the classic "opening salvo" kiss from Kashimashi signifying it's "on". If a woman can pick yaoi {That series.. Do fujoshi usually write out the female option for slash fiction the easy way or the hard way? Because #6 just, well, reeks of this sort of thing}, then yuri is fair game.

Why not Sakura Trick? Because neither girl figures out they're in a relationship until the end of the series. Makes most of the series curious in the wrong way.
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuichi ... and Ayu from Kanon 2006

Ooh, that's a good call, too. It's simple and sweet, and that's by no means a bad thing.

To elaborate on why I like the Haruhi and Kyon kiss, and why I think watching the show in (original) broadcast order matters, here's a few pieces of what make it special to me:
- In broadcast order, that kiss is the climax of a season full of hints and built-up emotions (both hints towards the emotions that will lead to it, via the past episodes, and hints that something very significant has already happened, via the future episodes). It's also easily the emotional high-point of the whole show.
- Kyon's running internal monologue, which is probably the thing I enjoy most about the series because he's such a character, is at its finest when he's analyzing himself right before the kiss.
- To my recollection, when Haruhi wears her short hair in a little ponytail the next day, it's the only outward display of her own romantic feelings that you ever see. It can almost be described as subtle (not a word often attributed to Haruhi...).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3