• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Aldnoah.Zero Soundtrack

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a good pick considering his work. Though I'm not familiar with the series, but I have heard of it.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
If there’s something the show can't be faulted for, it's Sawano's soundtrack, so this is something good to pick up.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
If the price wasn't ridiculous (i.e., about half of what is listed) then I'd consider it. At that price it's just gouging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I checked CD Japan, after international shipping It would cost about 30$ to get the disc from japan at current rates (assuming slow boat from china shipping).

But still, this is the first time i've heard of NA fans being asked to pay almost twice as much as the Japanese for an item, even Aniplex's dvd/blu-rays tend to be at a slight discount to Japanese pricing.

3100 yen is about 26$ under the current exchange rate. Is this some sort of special edition with extra stuff tacked on? If your goinga mark something an "import" then you should at least make it so that it's at least not cheaper to import directly from Japan ourselves.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex overcharging for product in American markets is old hat now. Anyway i probably remain one of the only people out there that just does not like this soundtrack much. Too many poorly mixed vocal tracks and not a lot of variety and at only 20 tracks it feels kind of even more one note than it already is. I wonder just how much longer Sawano is going to be able to rely on that one sound to carry his career before more people start to notice and grow tired of it. I'd say the way people just really seem to go for it and not notice he has quite a while yet.
CrimsonCoder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
You can import it for cheaper than this, including shipping.
I got out from CD Japan.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
If there’s something the show can't be faulted for, it's Sawano's soundtrack...

Very true. The show itself is garbage but the soundtrack has been really strong.

Article wrote:
Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet) is writing the series...

The article needs to be corrected.

Urobuchi only wrote the first three episodes of season one and the general outline. No-one can reasonably claim that he's responsible for the entire series, because he just isn't. Basically, he's only there as a gimmick, so that marketing can namedrop him on promotional material and state "written by Gen Urobuch, author of Madoka Magica and Fate/ZERO!" Yeah, three of twenty-four episodes is a decidedly small fraction and nowhere near enough to warrant such a claim.

I'm not going to defend the terrible work he did on the first two episodes, which had awkward dialogue, bad exposition, and awful characterisation. And the story outline with the Vers' absurd history was his fault too. But let's keep things in proportion.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
If there’s something the show can't be faulted for, it's Sawano's soundtrack, so this is something good to pick up.

Very true. If they're going to give soundtracks a try, this isn't a bad one to use.

However, as others have said, this isn't going to entice much with its price. I like the idea of getting official releases for soundtracks over here since there hasn't been much on that front since Geneon went away, but if this is any indication of future plans, I don't know that it will work out any better.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Via_01 wrote:

Very true. If their going to give soundtracks a try, this isn't a bad one to use.

However, as others have said, this isn't going to entice much with its price. I like the idea of getting official releases for soundtracks over here since there hasn't been much on that front since Geneon went away, but if this is any indication of future plans, I don't know that it will work out any better.

Alot of the people named to be involved with Aniplex are old Geneon hands. ex. Hideki 'Henry' GOTO, not to knock the guy but i did find it odd to see his name on aniplex stuff like i used to see it on Geneon/Pioneer stuff.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If the price wasn't ridiculous (i.e., about half of what is listed) then I'd consider it. At that price it's just gouging.

This is more expensive than the KILL la KILL soundtrack they previously sold. I hope it's offering more for that price, as KlK's OST (which only had two less tracks) felt worth its own with its quality presentation, packaging, and songbook.

It's a Sawano soundtrack and A/Z's was good, overall, but I would not rank it amongst his top ones, either. Even if this was one of his very best, I would not be enticed to purchase it that price, especially not when other imported soundtracks have gone for cheaper.

For everyone who keeps wondering why AoA keeps pricing things as such, keep in mind who is running the company and who ran Geneon [USA]…

[EDIT: Heh, I see rankothefiremage above me beat me to it… Wink ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Via_01 wrote:

Very true. The show itself is garbage but the soundtrack has been really strong.

My only real complaint with the soundtrack is that it just feels like recycled Attack on Titan music. Same notes, same cues, same themes. Mix up both Aldnoah Zero and Attack on Titan's soundtracks and you probably won't be able to tell the difference while listening.

It's like Hiroyuki Sawano just took a quick paycheck and decided to reuse the exact same style he used for Titan. With Kill la Kill he at least changed up the tone a bit so that it felt more stylistic and unique.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The OST and BGM would be nice to listen to, but not that nice. Not at this price...
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Huh, very odd that they're charging more than the Japan release. If you really liked the soundtrack no doubt the time spent listening to it would justify the cost eventually.

I mean music in general is incredibly, incredibly cheap anyway for the replay value you get. Likewise soundtracks, for example I'm still listening to the Arrietty soundtrack 4 years on. I paid a tenner for god knows how many hours of listening.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Like others have already stated, it's a whopping $16.5124 cheaper on Amazonjp INCLUDING shipping (which is free...and FAST if you have prime..free even without it though).

Not sure whose crazy bad idea this was...bad marketing team. Do they think we don't have internet access to check prices?
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Via_01 wrote:

My only real complaint with the soundtrack is that it just feels like recycled Attack on Titan music. Same notes, same cues, same themes. Mix up both Aldnoah Zero and Attack on Titan's soundtracks and you probably won't be able to tell the difference while listening.

I'm getting tired of his style as well. I've liked his previous works, like Attack on Titan or Blue Exorcist where it was fitting of the content, but lately it seems like they're just trying to cash in on his reputation. For Aldnoah, all the choral and foreign language stuff is really forced and out of place. His OST for The Seven Deadly Sins also feels completely overdone.

I wish more soundtracks would be bundled with the DVD/Blurays, especially collectors/limited edition sets, as is the case with many Japanese releases. There are lots of soundtracks I'd want that aren't even available separately (e.g. Monogatari series).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2