• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami's Adjusted Schedule Cuts Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, GiTS, Space Dandy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
They did do a decent job of getting some new series, but yes, rerunning the same movies again was just stupid. I guess the inability to move beyond Dead O'Clock Saturday night doesn't help. It's bad enough that people are growing tired of linear programming by favoring streaming and time-shifting when they can, but it's even worse when it comes on at inaccessible times (and it's programming most dedicated anime fans have already seen in full.)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Yeah, you make it painfully clear you don't know how this stuff works.

I don't, actually. I'm just guessing what shows would do well.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

If they do, they should at least run it in HD, and advertise on that basis so they don't seem too desperate. It might be too late, but seeing HD Escaflowne and recent and gorgeous HD Outlaw Star would be nice, despite them being nostalgic lures.

Considering they just started airing Bebop in HD a few weeks ago, they probably will if it ever returns. That's the tragedy of Bebop being pulled now, they've been pining for those HD tapes ever since Funimation license rescued Cowboy Bebop, and now when they've finally got the tapes in their possession, they have nowhere to air them.
Mizerous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I know they would love to do their style with old and new with the HD Bebop but right now that won't work they need to get new content like perhaps Fate/Zero or Fairy Tail never aired on US tv...
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:

Well many people were happy that dbz came back on toonami since that was a highly requested one. but yeah this goes back to what I said before about doing only one rerun of space dandy & Aot, cowboy bepop. Doing like 30-50 reruns of the same show gets old. What they should have done is replaced those 3 (mostly imo) with something else like rurouni kenshin (I would love to see the first 63 episodes of that show air on toonami again.), The devil is a part-timer (Another one I`ve been begging for them to air) & Kill la Kill. Or Trigun, something & something else. By at least within the first Saturday in January.

This is something I've said on some other sites but Toonami (when it comes to their reruns) needs to have a set list of shows that are similar to fill that time slot, for example after Bebop does a run, they air Trigun, then Outlaw Star, then Big O (again this is an example) They also need to have their shows in a rotation of old and new, like DBZ, KLK, Naruto, Inuyasha:Final Act, ect. This should hopefully keep casual fans watching even during new shows. They do need to add some comedy and drama though, as more causal fans might still look at anime as stuff like DBZ.

{I have edited your post to remove some of the Excessive Quoting from it. Since you're new here I'll let it slide this time but please review the link. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy and Attack on Titan are already off? That's surprising, especially Space Dandy seeing as how it seems to be tailor made for Toonami.

I'm sure Bebop will only be tempoarly though, at this point the show is basically a "good luck charm".
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll be curious what infomercial will play on Cartoon Network at 3:30 am.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Yeah, you make it painfully clear you don't know how this stuff works.

I don't, actually. I'm just guessing what shows would do well.

Well you could start to learn more by sending your suggestions to the Toonami Tumblr webpage instead of recommending them here since the people working on Toonami are not as likely to read a random user's post of recommendations on a forum. I would also pay mind to what kind of shows are actually on the block and which companies have which shows. You recommended Cross Ange and whether it was meant as a joke or not, that's official licensed Sentai Filmworks title who has yet to have a show on Toonami and I doubtful that'll change anytime soon. Besides, even if they were interested, it's not dubbed and it's too soon to say whether it will be dubbed at all.

I would also advise to look more into their Tumblr Q&As, especially the Toonzone News & Discussion thread where most of them are archived. All sorts of questions are answered there. Hell, just this past Sunday there was one and a whole bunch of questions were answered, some of which have been answered MANY times before. For instance, Toonami will NEVER air subtitled shows, not that they have anything against them. Also, not a lot of comedy anime would work on the block due to regional nuances in the jokes. The Toonami crew also answered what factors goes into acquiring programming (this is the kind of information that can help you make a better-educated guess as to what to recommend for the block). Some people are even curious to know what shows are most recommended (I should note, come highly recommended shows like Attack on Titan, DBZ, Naruto Shippuden and Kill la Kill have eventually wound up on the block anyway. So I would keep an eye on that if I were you).
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Deleted a few posts for over-quoting.

Don't want your posts deleted?

Then don't over-quote.

Look here to see if you've made it or advanced on the The Wall of Shame. ~nbahn

DMCMaster wrote:

This is something I've said on some other sites but Toonami (when it comes to their reruns) needs to have a set list of shows that are similar to fill that time slot, for example after Bebop does a run, they air Trigun, then Outlaw Star, then Big O (again this is an example) They also need to have their shows in a rotation of old and new, like DBZ, KLK, Naruto, Inuyasha:Final Act, ect. This should hopefully keep casual fans watching even during new shows. They do need to add some comedy and drama though, as more causal fans might still look at anime as stuff like DBZ.

Yeah I`m not one for just straight out action shows. Like how it is now, I mostly just put on for background noise & to keep the ratings up. However if they one show that has comedy along with action like Maou-sama I`d physically watch it. Which I did for space dandy but they`ve reran that soooo many times, that I`ve actually gotten a headache now.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Well you could start to learn more by sending your suggestions to the Toonami Tumblr webpage instead of recommending them here since the people working on Toonami .....

You're kidding me right? You thought "Toonami, if you're reading, here are a few free ideas." was meant literally? It wasn't. Did you actually think I was trying to get Toonami to read those suggestion HERE? Heck, it wouldn't even mattered where I sent that, Toonami is not going to care about what I say especially since I don't even watch Toonami. I'm not even close to their target demographic. I've seen everything that's been on Toonami way before they aired it.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the second half just a repeat of the exact episodes they showed in the first half?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Yeah, this....this doesn't look good at all.

This is worrying.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
If everybody with cable or satellite who likes anime would just tune in when they have free time this wouldn't be happening.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
So, we're losing Space Dandy......no season 2 repeat....for now....

TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Guess we will find out what they will be showing in the cut hours pretty soon. Maybe it will be the original Loony Toons, or worse the new Loony Toons.

Wouldn't mind ReBoot. Be funny if it was infomercials, as someone else has mentioned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11