• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ling Tosite SIGURE Remove 'Knife' From Psycho-Pass Film Theme Lyrics in TV Performance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeTenchou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
shterraarson wrote:

no. it's not just slang. it's a racial slur that dates back to ww2. you might feel safe in front your computer spouting away this crap but in real life, hell no.

I do use it in real life, here in the England, it's not as offensive as you might think. It's just slang, a contraction of a longer word or phrase, used in casual conversation.

{Edit - I edited your post due to Excessive Quoting. Please review the link. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
It's not so different from here, actually. After 9/11, certain songs didn't play on the radio. And remember when people took issue with the band name, Anthrax?
Drunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting how the term AnimeTenchou used for the Japanese was replaced with "Japanese" but Yanks is still standing there...just saying. Wink

B2T: So what will they do if the Japanese hostages are executed? Cancel all TV shows where someone dies? Don't get me wrong, I do hope that the hostages make it out alive, I just see no connection whatsoever between the song and the horrible stuff those ISIS barbarians are doing...

EDIT: According to some news sources they beheaded one of the hostages... Sad
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
It's interesting how the term AnimeTenchou used for the Japanese was replaced with "Japanese" but Yanks is still standing there...just saying. Wink

B2T: So what will they do if the Japanese hostages are executed? Cancel all TV shows where someone dies? Don't get me wrong, I do hope that the hostages make it out alive, I just see no connection whatsoever between the song and the horrible stuff those ISIS barbarians are doing...

EDIT: According to some news sources they beheaded one of the hostages... Sad

Yeah. Just checked on BBC website. So sad. Why the hell did they even existed?
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have the lyrics of the song? I can't seem to find them. :/
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
They say it is to be more sensitive, but both Assassination Classroom and the Psycho-Pass movie were completed before any of this happened.

Exactly. Same with an earlier incident last year about a girl killing another girl and blaming it on Psycho-Pass if I recall, and the incident with the sunken ship with people inside, which caused an episode of Pokemon about a sunken ship to not get aired a few weeks later. Pokemon has done sunken ships episodes before like in the 1st season when Satoshi/Ash and co. where on a ship. He traded his Butterfree then wanted it back, and he went down with the sunken ship. If they were to air the 1st season again, would that specific episode, which is over 12 years old, have to be skipped just to be more sensitive? lol
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Exactly. Same with an earlier incident last year about a girl killing another girl and blaming it on Psycho-Pass

I don't recall it even being linked to Psycho-Pass, but since the Extended version was airing an hour-long episode that stitched together the two halves of a case involving a schoolgirl serial killer with some fairly graphic dismemberment that week, it ended up being skipped.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
AnimeTenchou wrote:
I do use it in real life, here in the England, it's not as offensive as you might think. It's just slang, a contraction of a longer word or phrase, used in casual conversation.

From http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/n.htm

Nip -- Noun. A person from Japan. Taken from Nipponese = Japanese. Offens.

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THAT TERM USED AGAIN.
Drunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
AnimeTenchou wrote:

From http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/n.htm

Nip -- Noun. A person from Japan. Taken from Nipponese = Japanese. Offens.

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THAT TERM USED AGAIN.

So why didn't you also replace the term "yanks" in the comment?It can be offensive too.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
^
Are you making a complaint? (then click on the red explanation exclamation point)

Last edited by nobahn on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Japan again bows down to monsters, just stop it, stop it, stop it. ISIS thrive on weakness, if you bow down to these filthy diseased flies, they automatically win. They must give these flies the Fly Swatter of Free Expression and continue like normal for victory.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Myozunitonirun wrote:
It's something called respect. Maybe you've heard of it, OP.

I'm guessing you're calling me OP? I'm not the OP, ANN is. Anyway, why would playing these anime as intended be seen as disrespect? The animators and broadcasters do not mean any disrespect. People die every day, but we do not censor every film or TV show in respect of events. They (other countries, including USA) just choose times when this suddenly makes sense.

It makes no difference, and there is no evidence to say that people find it disrespectful, or that there are complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with being sensitive to current issues, they are just being respectful to the victims and the families involved. I would not equate this to the level of handing over ransom money or "bowing down to terrorists". I think as much overreaction goes into being "anti-PC" and "freedom-hawking" as it does being "politically-correct" or "protecting the peace by means of societal/freedom sacrifices". It is just for the moment, calm down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
^
Are you making a complaint? (then click on the red explanation point)

ANN really is cancer at times.

OT: This is ridiculous and pathetic, and essentially giving into the terrorists. Censoring like this is not okay and should not be condoned.
Drunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
What a great way to dodge my question...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4