• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Expelled from Paradise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
That said it is a bad idea in general to try and make budget(or otherwise) Cg characters look sexually appealing. It will backfire as seen here.

By otherwise, you mean stuff like Dreamworks/Disney/Pixar/Blue Sky/other Non-Japanese animations right?
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
sounds like a fun movie, and CGI doesn't bother me *too* much, I like Appleseed, after all.

seems I'm late to the party as far as going to see it in a theater is concerned, does anyone have the DVD/BD rights?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
@Philmister978 Starship Troopers: Invasion has cg nudity for example of the "amazing" shower scenes in way too many japanese m-rated games like Third Birtday.
The PSX was filled with this suff. Isn´t Tekken 3 Nina just so sexy 'Confused'. Just wait 5 years max. and then look back at. Uncanny valley will stare back at you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I hope Aniplex gives this a dub in the future.

Yeah, I think this would do quite well here so I hope they include one to get more people to watch it.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
As the movie was ending I thought to myself "this kinda reminds me of Gargantia". Then it hit me that Urobuchi wrote that too.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
t's by far the best-looking Japanese CG animated film in recent memory and perhaps yet made

I know this is an exaggeration and shouldn't be taken seriously, but i regard the Appleseed Ex Machina as THE best CG animated film and Appleseed Alpha as a close second. First is personal preference is what is the better appleseed film, but secondly is like the author pointed out about limited frames animation: Appleseed Ex Machina and Alpha has fluid animation only limited by the 24~ frames per second which is the industry standard for Films.

I understand that the anime 2D/3D CGI is to look 2D while (hopefully) utilize new technology and (probably) lower production costs for animation, but i prefer the the designs to be in full 3D akin to like Vexille, Appleseed, (and to an extent) the video game Binary Domain and even the Final Fantasy films. I never liked the design/production of Sanzigen's and Polygon Pictures' and i hope the trend doesn't set off, but if the industry is heading there i can't stop it but i can stop consuming it (which will be a sad day then).

Also, yes this post is entirely about whining and not about the actual movie.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Harlock probably looked the best for Japanese CG films, but it's wasted on an uninspired and tiring story.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
I will watch the movie too but i have a hard time believing that it Narratively, Expelled from Paradise blows every American animated movie of 2014 out of the water is true.
The Lego Movie was something else

Lego Movie? Really? Laughing Don't think you can fairly compare a kid's comedy movie to something more daring like this on a plot level.

I guess that you cannot compare things that try to be completely different. Any random anime film that's not made for children (and most that are) tries to be something completely different from any american animated film ever made. It's like comparing a novel like Dune to a children's picture book.

Quoting the review:
Quote:
Needless to say, that means Expelled from Paradise is not actually about what it appears to be about. More and more, Gen Urobuchi has displayed a tendency toward "semiotic subversion" in his scripts. In other words, he has a tendency to write extremely familiar genre premises that have certain thematic expectations attached, and then make his own story's theme completely different, while also suggesting that he knows that's not how the game he chose is supposed to be played. This genre self-awareness is often mistaken for deconstruction, and in fairness, there is a case to be made for some of Urobuchi's work as true deconstruction, but most of the time, his subversions have a simpler goal, and Expelled from Paradise is the clearest example of this.

I used the word deconstruction to mean basically that: stuff that is conscious of itself and plays around with it's tropes consciously. I don't know the "formal" definition of the term as applied to works of fiction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I like Expelled from Paradise as you have read but how is it daring ?
Just a run of the mill PG-13 robot action flick with nice characters. Nothing less and nothing more. And why is the Lego movie for "children". It´s by the 21 Jump Street goons. Spirited Away is for "children" too and is the only anime with an oscar'Cool'. Moby Dick was for children and so was The Three Musketeers(adventure books tended to be). I count them as literature.
Poor Harlock needs an Mine Fujiko style revival.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I have terrible ears when it comes to recognizing voices, so it came as a big surprise to me when I discovered that I had correctly identified "the Queen of tsundere," Rie Kugimiya, as the voice actress of Angela Balzac.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
I hope Aniplex gives this a dub in the future.

Yeah, I think this would do quite well here so I hope they include one to get more people to watch it.

But this movie has a dub. It is discussed in the review.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
the review didn't have anything on the dub when it first went up in Dec. I think it was just added today
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
This is a revised edition of the original theatrical review to include the new bluray release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I see. I did not realize the comments were from 6 moths ago.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
.....That said it is a bad idea in general to try and make budget(or otherwise) Cg characters look sexually appealing. It will backfire as seen here. I also wonder where the 16 year old body came from.....

It's only a bad idea, if the work is not quality checked or if you don't have enough money to do a good job.

The anime demographic for Japan is teenage boys, that is where it came from.

But on a Sci-Fi note, the future is for the youth. Futuristic medical procedures to improve the length of life, like rejuv or prolong, could greatly extend the physical development period, where your physical teenage years could last a couple of decades. Which would give you newly commissioned officers and newly enlisted ranks looking like 13-15 year olds.

The Honor Harrington series by David Weber is one of many authors that go into futuristic rejuvenation technologies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5