• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Gets New Japanese Blu-ray, DVD Boxes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Day one buy for me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I really hope Funimation picks up the original series for a re-release on bluray. I still have the old platinum collection on DVD and wouldn't mind upgrading. It's one of the few series that I have left that is on DVD and not bluray; hopefully if they do I can sell off the DVD first since it goes for so much and would probably drop.

Yup, day one for me too Funimation, whenever they are able to do it.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Hell yeah! About damn time. Slap some English subtitles on that, and my money's all yours.

This.

Great news. This will be pre-ordered the first day possible, regardless how expensive.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't zap away all the grain, Sunrise has ruined so many of their own BDs for other iconic anime by doing that. I'm more excited about End of Eva, for the 35mm possibilities.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to get a brand new English dub. Spike Spencer's garish, over-the-top cartoon coward stereotype Shinji Ikari is likely the reason so many people in North America hate the kid. He makes him so obnoxious and grating, whereas with Megumi Ogata, he was merely a wispy, slight kid with a confidence problem. And Tiffany Grant's Asuka is the most unsubtle performance I've heard since Brian Blessed in Flash Gordon. And it's like Matt Greenfield actively hated the show the way he casted and directed that dub.

But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

What I'd want most of all is a EoE Blu-Ray for a NA release. I'm mostly fine with the Platinum Edition DVDs of the TV series, but there exists no good domestic release of EoE. The Manga Ent. release was abominable in every way. But EoE is a pain to license.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting news but I wonder if being in HD will actually do the original TV series any favors, still the prospect of The End of Evangelion in HD is very tantalizing.

However I really wanna re-watch the whole shebang next year for it's 20th anniversary and it's unlikely it'll be available in the US in time, so I may not wait for any HD editions before I give Eva another re-watch.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
It will do it favors, so long as it's actually a transfer from film.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
About time. Hopefully we get a US release eventually. I need to finish up my NGE collection. Although I was under the impression that ADV/AEsir still had the license for the series in the US, and Funi only rebuild.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
PenguinTruth wrote:
but there exists no good domestic release of EoE. The Manga Ent. release was abominable in every way. But EoE is a pain to license.

Even though I spent around 170 bucks on it, which came with the crappy Death & Rebirth. Yes, it definently needs a better release.

Does'nt the EoE license cost around a million dollars? I guess not now since Kahra has the license, and not Gainax. Unless majority of them who had the license previously joined Kahra, Lord of God Almight! Its never gonna come, is it!? Crying or Very sad

Re ab-lib Spike's Shinji line in the eva rebuild 1.0: "OH, WHY CAN'T IT COME!?"
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
About time. Hopefully we get a US release eventually. I need to finish up my NGE collection. Although I was under the impression that ADV/AEsir still had the license for the series in the US, and Funi only rebuild.

Ya, Section 23 Films. And according to an old interview, they suspected that they would have to give up the license due to its reacurring cost. But that was from a long time ago, so I think we will need a reconfirmation on that from David Williams or even Mattey.

I will be kinda sad if Funimation gets it, but where it is now is not helping the series get known around the world. So I can deal with it, but if they redub it and don't give us the option to switch over the ORIGINAL and more superior track instead of the washed up newbies in the Eva universe. Then someone is gonna have to get good explenation while giving me a reasonable excuse while I call bullcrap it by spoiler[curbing Funimation's punk rear to a bloody pulp!]
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I would import the BD box if it has the dub. I am assuming that since Khara is involved, it should be easy for Funimation to release it.

LaSean wrote:
Hopeful we get it here with new English dub cause old one is terrible.

Whaaaaaaaaaat? I thought this was considered one of the best English dubs ever made.
It is. Some people just don't like how gloriously 90's it is.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
LaSean wrote:
Hopeful we get it here with new English dub cause old one is terrible.

As great as that would be it will never happen. A company isn't going to pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time on a dub when one already exists.
Besides while many hate the dub, many also like the dub and thats why FUNi brought back some of the cast for the movies.
The TV dub production apparently was really rough in ADV's early days and thats why we got this flawed dub but many also find it nostalgic so its not going anywhere.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

Besides while many hate the dub, many also like the dub and thats why FUNi brought back some of the cast for the movies.
The TV dub production apparently was really rough in ADV's early days and thats why we got this flawed dub but many also find it nostalgic so its not going anywhere.

This is more of an addition of information rather than a reply:

Which is sad really. Aaron Krohn became a New York stage actor, Tristian Macevery got into disputes, and even one actor supposedly joined the circus...

And yeah, they were only given a VHS tape of 2-3 episodes at a time too record while it was either presumably airing in japan or that they could not ship in the entire materials. Scripts were shipped back and forth to each other with red markers on what was okay to put in the dub, and what not to put. Nothing as chaotic as now when companies basically get all the material up n center or sent across the convenient world of the internet.

Now this is a reply:

And for that, its still came out great. It had hiccups, true. But with this studio and actors. I wouldn't trade this dub of awesomeness for a redub where no one is screaming so long/harsh that they would puke blood, and a script that would be so far away from the original material but only step away from uncharted liberal territory to pretend that the script is, "deep down, following original intention." There dealing with Kahra though, given that from what Funimation did with the script in the rebuild movies, which is fine. I doubt anything out of bounds will happen if Kahra brings it to another company.

And besides, it ain't gonna happen when any company given the materials for the dub too, which contains 5.1 surround sound files. There is no need waste money for another, not like Grave of the Fireflies where there was only a 2.0 stereo source. So when a BD was around the corner, they re dubbed it. Luckily, it was a good one.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Also surprised Khara announced this instead of Gainax.

The copyright on the main page changed from Gainax*khara to just khara in October. Makes sense since Eva = Anno's baby. Wink

Any "falling out" between Anno and Gainax is a rumor: He wanted to work on New Eva there, but they were busy with TTGL so Anno started up his new studio because of that. Carl Horn source.

Anyway, Platinum was pretty much perfect in terms of translation, but I'd want them to somehow fix Mangle's screwups (Lilith/Adam mistake, mistranslations or forgetting important dialogue by Asuka and Shinji). I prefer subs personally, so whether or not they keep the dubs doesn't really matter to me.
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Tiffany Grant's Asuka is the most unsubtle performance I've heard since Brian Blessed in Flash Gordon.

Wait, what part of Asuka was supposed to be subtle? LOL oh boy. The Eva dub is one of the better dubs to ever be made, but I totally expected it to be talked about here in ridiculous terms such as above. Bought the platinum collection around the time it came out and I still own it, it's still pretty decent audio and video wise so I'm in no rush to upgrade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6