• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One-Punch Man Manga Has 4.5 Million Copies in Circulation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
I got into it for a while but lost interest when Geno and Saitama were training after Saitama found out he was average. LOL oh god that is so F-in hilarious that Geno gets his super hero license but Saitama can't. What a breakthrough in story telling.

And really, Is that entertaining and new to you?

Shit no it aint. Not happy? Please name off all the exciting original super heroes contained within the manga that I failed to pirate like yourselves and prove they aint generic.

I never said it wasn't cool looking, I said it is generic as shit.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:14 am Reply with quote
Your mouth is full of wrong.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:

No one else is going to get this. Wink

Anyway, there's a difference between reinventing the wheel, and using old tools in new ways. ONE managed to merge eastern and western super-hero tropes into one perfect mesh, without resorting to most of the shonen cliches of the current era (see: high schools and creepily young girls). Its consistently hilarious, its action is epic, it looks amazing, and despite what you'd expect its core premise is yet to get old.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:

No one else is going to get this. Wink

Gene thinks you are right.

Quote:
Anyway, there's a difference between reinventing the wheel, and using old tools in new ways. ONE managed to merge eastern and western super-hero tropes into one perfect mesh, without resorting to most of the shonen cliches of the current era (see: high schools and creepily young girls). Its consistently hilarious, its action is epic, it looks amazing, and despite what you'd expect its core premise is yet to get old.

Indeed. One-Punch Man is that rarest of things. A shonen action series that has the potential to run for well over a dozen volumes and never lose it's wining formula. My Hero Academia has very much the same feel to it, as does all of ONE's other webcomics (which I believe share a universe but I could be wrong).
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
If it comes off as generic, you aren't really quite paying attention to the writing and instead are just looking at the top of the surface. It's not even a pierce through the depths sort of thing; you just have to go a bit past face value to see the commentary. ONE is quite adept at using little twists here and there to produce interesting results.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Not further in the 'more chapters' sense, but deeper in the 'between the lines' sense.
Although the focus of your argument and style of speech leaves the impression that you're not particularly concerned with that sort of thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2