• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Vic Mignogna as Rin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Even if he were homophobic I find it a bit silly that most of the people who accuse him of such things seem to have far more obvious, numerous and even more nasty prejudices.

Okay, I think a lot of the Vic hate is overblown here but... being "prejudiced" against a voice actor is somehow "nastier" than homophobia? Really? Like, you do realize that homophobia gets people killed, right? And you're suggesting that the weird rumors people spread about this one voice actor (that don't seem to do anything to lessen his popularity or hurt his career) is worse than that?

I mean, just think about how you're saying this, please. A lot of the defenses of him have veered into some really uncomfortable territory with what they're implying about LGBT people and the prejudice we face, or--as some other posts have done--discussing same-sex romance/shipping as though it's especially "weird" or "deviant" or whatever compared to the opposite-sex equivalents.

You can discuss how overzealous some yaoi fangirls are, or how overly-intense his detractors are, without suggesting homosexuality itself is "deviant" or that homophobia isn't serious. If he has actually said anything homophobic, people have every right to be offended by that and no, it's not a case of "well you're the real hater!" One of these "hatreds" is something that is systematic and ruins people's lives all over the world. The other isn't.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meggu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I also get the feeling that people are only calling him an egotistical douche because he's confident and outgoing. Which is pretty much the exact opposite to the anti-social and stupidly cynical bunch that make up a good portion of the anime fandom.

tell it tell it.

I'm just uncertain why, when an actor reserves his artistic rights to refuse to sign an item due to personal beliefs, he has to be labeled a "homophobe".

Artist who set up commissions and establish what they will and won't draw for profit due to personal beliefs = Powerful. In control of their fans.

Artist who refuses to sign an item due to personal beliefs = Homophobic.

Last edited by meggu on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
fullmetal-mix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I don't dislike Vic (in fact I really liked him as Tamaki another Miyano role) but I feel this was a definite miscast.

Amen. Vic's as popular as he is for a reason. He's a talented VA. But that doesn't mean I froze and mouthed "no no no" for about ten seconds after finding this article.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Deleted several posts for over-quoting.

Don't want your posts deleted?

Then don't over-quote.

Look at this post to see if you've made the The Wall of Shame.
ladyutena

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't dislike Vic. He's a great voice actor; lots of emotions and such. I enjoyed him as Tamaki and Ed.

However, Rin is not a role usually associated with him. It's not something I can see him doing and actually have it fit. I'm hoping he proves me wrong. I'll watch the dub either way lol.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Having different viewpoints (religious) doesn’t make one a bigot. Someone who doesn’t support certain things because of religion doesn’t make one a bigot.

So, basically he won’t do roles that go against his religious views. That does not make him any less hirable for the work that he’s doing.

If he was doing something that would oppress other people, then I’d be more uncomfortable with that.

You can’t have disrespect for someone who has certain beliefs just because they differ from your own, and people who have had this experience should know better. As far as I’ve seen, I have not really seen him promote anything anti-homphobic. (But if I did miss anything, please provide me with a link because I’d like to definitely do so. This thread was pretty long).

In short, I also think Matthew Mercer would’ve made a great Rin too, actually.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I see a lot of negativity about this on twitter too which has now spread its way to tumblr. Maybe something might happen?
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Okay first off... HOLY CRAP THEY GOT THE HOST CLUB BACK TOGETHER!!!!!

And second, I know a lot of y'all have your opinions on Mr. Vic, but I've met him in person and he was nothing less than an absolute class act. I went to "Eville Con" in Evansville last March and he was one of the guests. He treated everyone with tons of kindness, heck during his Q&A panel he was asked if he could sing happy birthday to the attendee's who happened to be celebrating their birthday's the day of the con and my birthday was that day as well so he had everyone who had a birthday that day come to the front so he could sing to us and give us each a hug! He was such a sweetheart! I also forgot to mention that he had the attendee's whose friends couldn't make it call up their friends so he could say hi to them! He was such a sweetheart!!! Also I had to meet up with some friends and my sister had to get some more autographs. The limit was 2 per person but he allowed her to get more autographs because of the situation we were in!!! He was such a wonderful guy!!! While I respect y'all's opinions I'm going by personal experience, and from my experience Mr. Mignogna is a total sweetheart! Congrats on the role Mr. Vic!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Yotsubafanfan has the right idea, but seriously, did this have to turn into 7 pages of Vic complaining, really...>_>

I mean, I don't mind the casting, honestly (even if I never, or hardly saw Free. Except from other things about it.)
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Having different viewpoints (religious) doesn’t make one a bigot. Someone who doesn’t support certain things because of religion doesn’t make one a bigot.

If your religion causes you to believe bigoted things, then yes, you are a bigot. "Religion" is not a get-out-of-jail free card for homophobia or any other sort of bigotry. Keep in mind that historically, religion has been used to justify misogyny and racism, too (yes, including Christianity. There are verses in the Bible that support slavery).

As an LGBT person, homophobia backed up by religion has just as much affect on my life as homophobia that has nothing to do with it. It hurts it just as much. I'll "judge" people who impose their religion on me in ways that harm me as much as I want, thanks. They can change their religious beliefs; I can't change my sexuality.

Again, this is not suggesting that Vic Mignogna is or isn't homophobic. But please, you can talk about this in ways that aren't apologist for homophobia or any other sort of bigotry. You can defend him, or disagree with the people making accusations, without going there.

Like, the real issue here is that he's a voice actor, not a writer, he's not going to do anything to "change" how Free!'s dub script interprets Rin or his relationship with any other characters. And he's not obligated to sign anyone's fanart (which seems to the basis of Tumblr's complaints, based on their change.org petition) no matter what the reasons are. He's been in plenty of other anime with big fujoshi fanbases and even narrated a gay audio book, so I really doubt he's as bothered by this as people think. But even if he were, this is really small-potatoes and not worth the level of outrage that the fanbase is giving it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
@SailorTralfamadore

Well here's the thing. Vic Mignogna obviously tries very hard to be a decent human being. He has strong beliefs but he still tries to be respectful. He doesn't personally attack people or judge them or anything like that. He just doesn't like yaoi on a purely personal level and I think people should respect that.

Notice that while Vic Mignogna has never really said anything outright hateful, this thread is overflowing with vitriol aimed towards him and the people who enjoy his work. Vic Mignogna has not done a single thing to harm the progression of LGBT rights yet the hate still keeps on coming solely because people refuse to respect his viewpoint. And that is exactly the sort of attitude we should all be against if we're to practice what we preach and make the world a better place for everyone.
String Chess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Yullenator wrote:
And you should probably correct some of the translation errors that pretty much all versions made:
(e.g. "why can't I be free?" in s1 should've been "why didn't you write 'free'?", "I found some guys I want to swim with" is just singular "guy" (Haru) not "guys", and "I can see why you're so taken with him" should be "I can see why you fell for him" which would be the more accurate translation.)
Where are these lines, out of curiosity?

On topic: I try not to keep myself from enjoying work because of someone's character. If I were to avoid everyone with someone I don't like as a person, well I'm sure almost nothing would be worth buying for me. That being said, I wish some of these highly used actors had more range. Hearing the same voice over and over again can get annoying and even jarring.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
Okay, so there have been a lot of complaints concerning the alleged/kind-of-unsubstantiated-claims of Mignogna's beliefs/views as a person. However, it's all speculation and rumor. So unless you have physical evidence (like legit documents, recordings that outright say so, etc.), please refrain from turning this thread into a tabloid and rumor mill.

If you don't like the guy for his work history, performances, or whatever, that's fine. Just vent your frustrations and get on with your lives. I'm sure there are more enjoyable or productive things you can do with your time that are probably better for your overall health.

This is the only warning. Anymore posts of the speculative/tabloid variety that try to insinuate stuff will be deleted.
rootz360

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Spent a good part of yesterday going through his VA resume to create an informed opinion on this, because I want to be convinced that Rin will not end up sounding like Edward Elric...

Although it's been a long time, hopefully Vic use his Air TV Yukito voice (but deeper) for this role.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
@Tony: Thanks, I was getting frustrated and pissed with all the Vic bashing on the forum without real credible, physical evidence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9