• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Debatably in love-hina...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote
Well, I read a Love Hina novel the other day. (Note: NOVEL--the normal books). It's pretty fun, to say the truth. But, man.....I don't have too much experience with ecchi, but...is it just me, or is Love Hina kinda...naughty?

Don't get me wrong--I'm not some prude. I watch hentai. It's just that Love Hina kinda toes the line a bit. Maybe I'm exagerating, but the novel is rather saucy, seeing as Keitaro has a run-in with Naru and her Kimono (which she is wearing, formal-style--no underwear), and a few other oddities. But, hey, I've seen way worse.

My main beef is this: What's the deal with Naru?! I can't tell if she really likes Keitaro or not. Okay, sure, this is a comedy manga, but still--one minute she's alright with the guy (meaning, indifferent), then she acts like there might be something, but then she pummels him within an inch of his life. WTF?!

Another thing: doesn't she know what Kitsune is like? She assumes that Keitaro is always hitting on her, or forcing her to do naughty things, when it's vice versa.

I also have a gripe against Keitaro: he's not a perfect guy--he could be a little more careful, seeing as he can't walk into a room if Naru isn't half-naked in it, or he can't reach for the top shelf if Naru's chest isn't there.

There's a line between 'clumsy' and 'trying to get some (quote the book) "primo-Naru-booby" (lol)'.

But I digress--it's fun, despite how hateful my rant may sound. I can't wait until I can find the next volume! Anime smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But, man.....I don't have too much experience with ecchi, but...is it just me, or is Love Hina kinda...naughty?

YES.

I take it you never read the original manga. This should be painfully obvious.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, there were a few times that I was reading the manga and wondered, "shouldn't this just be a hentai series? It might work better..." Surprised

Nah....
Sarene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Ya, the anime even has it's moments. But the manga? OH MAN I've never seen sooooo many panty-shots and nudity in a non-hentai manga in my life. Ken Akamatsu loves getting his girls naked I guess, he's doing it a lot in Negima as well.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the novels, have all the Love Hina novels been released in the US? Also, do the novels go as far as the manga?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I believe the novels are basically side stories. I know they were written while the manga was still going (and I think the first novel even says as much somewhere in it) but I don't think it was trying to adapt the manga. But since I haven't read them myself, I could be wrong on that.

But I believe there are only two novels and both of those are out.
ikky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote
You have a lot to learn Razz
Levitz9 wrote:

My main beef is this: What's the deal with Naru?! I can't tell if she really likes Keitaro or not. Okay, sure, this is a comedy manga, but still--one minute she's alright with the guy (meaning, indifferent), then she acts like there might be something, but then she pummels him within an inch of his life. WTF?!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tsundere
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I believe the novels are basically side stories. I know they were written while the manga was still going (and I think the first novel even says as much somewhere in it) but I don't think it was trying to adapt the manga. But since I haven't read them myself, I could be wrong on that.

But I believe there are only two novels and both of those are out.
Thank you for the information. Perhaps I shall have to add these to my list of Things to Buy When I Have Money Again.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
ikky wrote:
You have a lot to learn Razz
Levitz9 wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tsundere

Thanks for clearing that up, Ikky.

BTW: According to the author of the novels, they're just side stories to Love Hina. They're not really canon, but spoiler[the thing that happens to Keitaro's 'aunt'-lady] is considered canon by Akamatsu.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I read a Love Hina novel the other day. (Note: NOVEL--the normal books). It's pretty fun, to say the truth. But, man.....I don't have too much experience with ecchi, but...is it just me, or is Love Hina kinda...naughty?

Naughty, wow what an understatement lol. All of Akamatsu's works are panty shot driven pieces of sexual tension. Every few pages there's someone getting naked or just in their underwear. Love Hina actually is a pretty good manga, the anime just sorta fell flat on several aspects. I think if he ever gets bored Akamatsu will switch to simply making hentai lol.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Naughty? Oh yea. Try Negima. Laughing Twisted Evil
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

Oh, I've seen the drawings--that's WORSE!!
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:

While there are more girls, I don't see how its any worse. And there seems to be less and less fanservice as it goes on. It never goes away completely, but its definitely toned down.

population_tire wrote:
Laughing

Translation: My name is Spam.. Rolling Eyes
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:

Also -- if Akamatsu were to have worked in the US making those -- he'd be deemed a Pedophile. Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2