• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sekai Project to Offer Clannad Visual Novel's Full-Voice Edition on Steam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manwards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
OH YES! I genuinely never thought I'd see the day. Clannad is one of my favourite stories ever told, and I never thought I'd be able to play the full game, especially as the fan translation project has been stalled for literally years. I'll be buying it day one, Steam or not.

Between this and Jast USA's excellent translation of Steins;Gate, it's good to see proper visual novels (and not just hentai fluff) getting to the wider Western audience that I think they deserve.

As for censorship, Clannad is an all-ages game to begin with, as other people have said here; but all of Key's other games have had official "clean" versions too, like the Millennium Edition of Tomoyo After, and to be honest with you... I'd sooner see those versions translated anyway. I played a fan translation of Tomoyo, and they just dumped a series of increasingly gross, boring and out-of-character sex scenes at the start of the game, almost as an obligation, before the main plot even started. My personal opinion is that they were only added as an afterthought to increase sales among otaku anyway, and actually weakened the game. If Sekai wanted to translate the clean versions in the future, I'd be much happier.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:

As for censorship, Clannad is an all-ages game to begin with, as other people have said here; but all of Key's other games have had official "clean" versions too, like the Millennium Edition of Tomoyo After, and to be honest with you... I'd sooner see those versions translated anyway. I played a fan translation of Tomoyo, and they just dumped a series of increasingly gross, boring and out-of-character sex scenes at the start of the game, almost as an obligation, before the main plot even started. My personal opinion is that they were only added as an afterthought to increase sales among otaku anyway, and actually weakened the game. If Sekai wanted to translate the clean versions in the future, I'd be much happier.

I have mixed feelings. I would rather have all the content given to me or I feel like I'm "missing out". But in my experience the H scenes in Key games are largely unneeded, and in fact, they always write the story so that if you were playing an all-ages version you wouldn't even know you missed an H scene. Which consequently makes them seem very tacked on. Oh what's this? Girl dying? Better have sex with her before she kicks the bucket! She's having a big existential crisis? I know what will distract her from that!! Laughing
Buuuut no one wants to miss out on H-scenes of their favorite girl either, so I think it's best to go with the 18+ version anyway. Or sell both of them if possible (like they do in Japan)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mehh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT YES OMG

But seriously, how the fudge did they manage to pull a Key title? Key are notorious for hating the western market, pretty sure they even said at one point that they wanted to keep their games within Japan...

Seeing Sekai project getting a hold of key titles is a very good sign, but as others have said if they plan on releasing any of their 18+ games, there will be hell to pay if they censor them, I don't particularly like the H scenes, but I absolutely HATE it when a company picks apart a game to remove them. Leave them as is, or I can pretty much guarantee the community will turn against you.

Last edited by mehh on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
Would still prefer the PS3 (or any portable console) port but I get that's one hell of a lot harder (and more restrictive to sales) but I am quite excited and will definitely pick it up provided we get a physical copy in the future.

Would definitely like to see a stretch goal to get it on consoles and/or mobile. IIRC, all of the major Key VNs were released for one or more PlayStation consoles/portables. As for mobile, Air and Kanon are on Japan's iOS App Store, and I've seen a YouTube video showing Clannad running in English on a jailbroken iPhone. So it's well within the realm of possibility, though possibly outside Sekai's skillset and comfort zone. In the meantime, I'll kick in for the Steam release, even though that'll mean running it in virtualized Windows on my Mac.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
mehh wrote:
Seeing Sekai project getting a hold of key titles is a very good sign, but as others have said if they plan on releasing any of their 18+ games, there will be hell to pay if they censor them, I don't particularly like the H scenes, but I absolutely HATE it when a company picks apart a game to remove them. Leave them as is, or I can pretty much guarantee the community will turn against you.

Keep in mind that they'll have to if they eventually decide to put any game with adult content on to the iOS App Store or any console. In Japan, Key, Type-Moon, âge and the rest routinely take out the 18+ content in order to do PlayStation ports of these VNs.
mehh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
mehh wrote:

Keep in mind that they'll have to if they eventually decide to put any game with adult content on to the iOS App Store or any console. In Japan, Key, Type-Moon, âge and the rest routinely take out the 18+ content in order to do PlayStation ports of these VNs.

For console and smartphone ports I can totally understand censoring. As you mentioned, in the console ports KEY and any other VN studio have done these scenes were removed, but that is because there is no other option for these devices. Apple, Google, Sony, Microsoft wouldn't allow 18+ content on their stores. But, for PC copies this shouldn't be something that has to be resorted to. If they want to release an all ages version, sure go ahead. But release an untouched version of the game too.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
omg omg omg omg, how is Sekai doing this? The last holy grail to officially licensed is type moon... if they somehow pull that out of their butt
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Manwards wrote:

I have mixed feelings. I would rather have all the content given to me or I feel like I'm "missing out". But in my experience the H scenes in Key games are largely unneeded, and in fact, they always write the story so that if you were playing an all-ages version you wouldn't even know you missed an H scene. Which consequently makes them seem very tacked on. Oh what's this? Girl dying? Better have sex with her before she kicks the bucket! She's having a big existential crisis? I know what will distract her from that!! Laughing
Buuuut no one wants to miss out on H-scenes of their favorite girl either, so I think it's best to go with the 18+ version anyway. Or sell both of them if possible (like they do in Japan)

I always had a huge distaste in my mouth whenever those sex scenes are tacked on. It break immersion, reduces the quality and manipulate the intent of the writer just so it can break into the saturated VN market in JP. Key doesn't need sex scene to sell anymore but its sad to see upcoming groups using it because they have to
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
Yay! Censored shit! Let's see how much they're going to butcher this.

As many have noted, unlike Kanon and Air, which were originally released as adult games then re-released with all-ages versions BY KEY, Clannad was originally released as an all-ages title, so there is no need to censor it.

If they released Kanon and Air as all-ages titles, it would still not be censorship, since Key released these titles in an all-ages version as well.

Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life was an adult title originally as well, but if it comes to Steam it will be as an all-ages title as well, since Key stopped manufacturing the adult version in 2007 and re-released it as an all-ages title in 2009.

In general, Key has moved away from producing adult titles in favor of all-ages products over the years, though they still produce some adult titles.
Yause

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
mehh wrote:
HOLY SHIT YES OMG

But seriously, how the fudge did they manage to pull a Key title? Key are notorious for hating the western market, pretty sure they even said at one point that they wanted to keep their games within Japan...

Ardent English speaking fans deny this, but the Japanese PC VN market is in long-term decline (on-going since the market peaked around 2004-2005). This problem has been widely discussed by company heads, from Key/VisualArt's to Type-Moon to Nekoneko Soft.

Studio presidents have responded in several ways, from taking their writers off payroll (and then contracting teams of lower cost freelancers on a per project basis) to increasing output for regular cash flow. That there are problems is undeniable, which has forced producers to broaden their horizons.

As for Key, they changed their tune in recent years. Last I heard, they were willing to license their games if someone proved that they could reach a sizable market. MangaGamer failed to accomplish this, but I suspect that the rise of Steam is playing a role. Go! Go! Nippon on Steam turned out to be a bigger success than anyone expected.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes the VN industry (in japan) has been in a downhill trend for quite a well now. there is no doubt about it. However in the US it has been getting steadily better.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Several posts have been deleted for over-quoting. The users in question have also been placed on Moderated status.

Don't want you posts deleted or your accounts put on Moderation?

Then don't over-quote.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3