• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Twitter Comic Illustrates Self-Defense Tactics for All Heights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
as a 6'3 male, how do I defend myself against a tiny woman who may or may not be wielding a chainsaw?
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
The girl really has a thing for headbutts.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
A kick to the nuts works on all heights.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I am reminded about the lady who suplex a would be purse thief in an elevator.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Liver shot.

That will get any assailant to think twice.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
What about a woman who is taller than the male? And where is the male self defense tactic? I'm sort of joking, but it would have been funny(?) to see both sides of this.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I took a self defense class with a friend and I noticed something, the really small, short females tend to be the most aggressive in those classes. A groin kick usually does wonders if the woman is shorter than the man.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
A kick to the nuts works on all heights.

In fact I would recommend this move rather than any of the ones illustrated here.

A lot of these moves need quite a bit of strength to pull off effectively unless one is trained, particularly the one to the solar plexus. In the position the girl is in unless she has a fair bit of self-defence training she isn't going to get any where near the power required to pull off the move on anyone but a completely out of shape attacker, unless she gets lucky.

Kick to the nuts meanwhile needs little power behind it to be an effective counter. If the attacker is nutless than these moves are the next best option. I would recommend getting actual training to use them though or most attackers will laugh it off. Without training the headbutt move is the next most likely to work, though again you risk stunning yourself at the same time if you do it badly.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Mhh, the uppercut to the jaw might be painful since that is a bony area, better aim for the throat (soft tissue), either to punch or to squeeze (training your hand strength to squeeze a windpipe might be the best strategy to disable a would be attacker long enough to put a good amount of distance).
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Hm, but that first image is actually a joke about the "kabe don" trope, in which the male romantic interest gets serious about a girl and holds the girl against the wall. So it makes it even more funny if you think about it... This is supposed to be a romantic scene, but the seemingly innocent girl is attacking him! Hahaha
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Well this is very interesting to read. Smile

Yeah to all the female reading this, hitting the crouch really work. Also it would be helpful if you take self-defense class (might need to include some Krav Naga, Akkaido, and some Wushu to help make your self-defense more effective).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Eh, I believed I saw the kabe-don version from this artist. Kabe-don is a very common romantic (?) scene in shoujo manga, where the the guy push you against a wall. The pic is here. I hope the link works. It's just funny when you change the girl gesture a little, the implication is totally changed.

This artist also created a "cute" original mascot, Shiri Panda, which is a panda with... unfortunate face shape. If you're familiar with Japanese language, I think you'd already knew what kind of shape it is.

Back to the self-defense tactics, there's another one self-defense technique for woman(which was kind of a meme in pixiv back then when the image was first released). It was much, much more merciless, but I think works very fine somehow. I found the parody one in an image board here. And after browsing a lot finally found the original here.

Don't hesitate to use these techniques when the bad happens!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
As someone who practices shotokan karate I can say, while effective if it connects, an attack aimed at the groin is difficult to use since men instinctively move to protect that area. An uppercut works in that situation typically.

This is more humorous than a reliable how-to but I can appreciate the effort.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
This artist also created a "cute" original mascot, Shiri Panda, which is a panda with... unfortunate face shape. If you're familiar with Japanese language, I think you'd already knew what kind of shape it is.
I think that would be more obvious if "oshiri" was used in this roundabout reference.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

Hm, but that first image is actually a joke about the "kabe don" trope, in which the male romantic interest gets serious about a girl and holds the girl against the wall. So it makes it even more funny if you think about it... This is supposed to be a romantic scene, but the seemingly innocent girl is attacking him! Hahaha

"Commercial takes on one of the proudest traditions of girls’ anime: the romantic wall pound"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU8raMXqsFs

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2