• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Production Companies, Manga Publishers Crack Down on Piracy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

Thank you for these links! I've heard Japan was pretty backwards technlogicaly as of late, but I had no idea it was this bad Sad I always laugh at the logic of 'We don't want to put our content online legally- because then it would be easy to pirate'. As if it's easier to capture a stream at a constant bitrate than to just rip a DVD or CD Rolling Eyes

Yeah, and embrassingly, Japan's neighbor to the west, South Korea is more technologically advanced then Japan when it comes to IT/ICT development. That's why South Korea remain #1 on the IT/ICT development ranking for the last few years. South Korea also take international market seriously unlike Japan.

A little off topic: most of the cool cutting edge tech I've seen coming out of Asia are coming from South Korea or Taiwan, but for Japan not a lot. I've been observing the technology development from Asia, South Korea and Taiwan is way ahead of Japan in term of Technological development. About the gaming market, South Korea's gaming market has more money then Japan (South Korea's gaming market is worth $9.16 billion!!!! Much bigger then Japan's $4.6 billion). Also the PS4 almost sold out in South Korea when it first came out and it sold better there then in Japan. Maybe in the future, LG or Samsung could make a gaming console more powerful then Playstation 4.

Violynne wrote:
With so many opinions on how this isn't going to stop piracy, did anyone actually read the article? If not, let me point something out:
Quote:
The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013.

Can anyone at ANN get in contact with the Ministry of Economy and ask how they determined this number because it's absurd.

In 2012, Hollywood broke an earnings record of $10.7 billion, and the MoE expects us to believe anime lost more than Hollywood?

Dpn't forget about the $5.5 billion supposedly lost in China.

This kind of crap is one reason the piracy debate will never end. One side lies about losing billions, and the other side justifies the piracy because those billions aren't going to the artists.

Just once, I'd like to see actual proof loses are attributed to piracy instead of bloated, unrealistic, and insulting numbers coming from the industry stating billions aren't enough to keep the content coming.

The industry has a problem of rolling out 40 series in a season, with most at 13 episodes, for an estimated cost of $150k per episode (I'll even boost this to $200k), the number sits at around $105 million? Even with padded costs, we could throw up $300 million for an entire year.

You're not alone, I find this number absurd too. Also I'm a skeptic of Japan's piracy claim because as I mention I have evidence that made me question their claim. Oh and before I put the evidence:

To moderators (including Tony. K): Please do not delete my post, this is within the scope relating to piracy. This is not a K-pop soapboxing or rant, so don't delete my post people on ANN need to know this. and to Tony.K : Tony, I think it's about time for people on ANN to qustion Japan's claim on piracy, I'm going to put the evidence of K-pop and piracy on this post. So please don't delete or edit my post, it's relevent and people on ANN need to know this.

All right, I think a lot of you on ANN know I'm a big K-pop/Hallyu fan. I understand K-pop doesn't have any relevence on ANN a lot. But a lot of you should be glad I'm a K-pop fan because I'm going to show you the evidence that made me question Japan's piracy claim.

As a lot of you know, Korean pop music, K-drama and a lot of other Korean pop stuff get heavily pirated, read this article:

BH Discuss: Would Hallyu ever be possible without piracy?

Yes, K-pop and K-dramas are heavily pirated on the same level as anime and manga. Now you would think all this pirating would hurt Korean firm/companies and cause loss of profits, here's the shocker: It didn't. Shocked

K-pop's big three: SM, YG, and JYP Entertainment had seen great revenue for the last 3 years despite widespread piracy of K-pop. Here's a graph showing how much revenue the Korean music industry has been making:

You see that, Korean music industry are making a lot of money despite piracy being rampart. South Korea's music market became the 10th largest market in the world. I'll quote this:

Richard Smirke from Billboard Biz wrote:
France maintained its position at No. 5 in the world market rankings with music sales totaling $956 million (up 1.3%), while Australia was No. 6 with $430 million (down 8.4%). The rest of the Top 10 was rounded out by Canada ($424 million, down 2.5%), Italy ($238 million, up 8.3%), Brazil ($228 million, down 1.7%) and South Korea ($211 million, up 9.7%), which enters the top 10 for the first time, displacing the Netherlands.

Also an article from The Korea Times said this:

The Korea Times wrote:
Last year’s surplus was measured at $167.1 million, more than double of the $64.9 million for 2012, which marked the first time Korea posted a trade surplus in this account.

Korea’s pop music products, movies and television programs combined for $461 million in exports last year, a 13 percent increase from 2012.

I like to add that Japan's music sales continue to decline for the last few years.

So here's are the questions I want to ask all of you (and Tempest if you're reading this, please answer them for me):

Why are Korean pop content still gaining a lot of profit despite Piracy being widespread?

How come the piracy of Korean contents didn't hurt the revenue of Korean firms/companies?

Why is piracy hurting Japan's anime/manga but not causing any loss of profit on the Korean content industry??

How is piracy hurting anime/manga but not effecting K-pop and K-drama??

See these evidence made me glad why I'm a k-pop/Hallyu/anime fan, because it made me open up my mind and question Japan's claim on piracy.

Again to any moderator: don't delete this post, it's within the scope of the topic regarding piracy.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
so....I'm gonna keep being a terrible person....love to sin baby!
Now if certain events become a reality then I'll stop using "grey" sites...but those events are 98% unlikely to happen soooooo.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Quote:
The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013.

Can anyone at ANN get in contact with the Ministry of Economy and ask how they determined this number because it's absurd.

Thank you for that analysis. I looked at that number and could hardly control my laughter. How large would the US market need to be to make $20 billion a plausible piracy figure?

Oricon estimated 2012 manga revenues in Japan at $11 billion. The US market is two orders of magnitude smaller; Publisher's Weekly cites a figure of about $105 million in 2012.

As for anime, another article here placed total US anime revenues in 2009 at about $2.7 billion. Even if we generously assume that the market for anime has boomed since then and imagine total revenues at $4 billion in 2014, we're still looking at a total market for anime and manga in the US that is about a fifth the alleged costs from piracy.

These costs shrink further when we look at how those anime revenues are earned. In 2009 sales of DVDs and films generated about $320 million. Sales of character goods generated nearly eight times as much revenue, coming in at $2.420 billion!. I'd bet most of that revenue comes from products for children like licensed Pokemon goods. Those earnings aren't going to increase much if piracy of the actual content is better restricted. If anything, the market for figurines and dakimakara in the West will probably shrink as a result.

That $20 billion estimate truly is absurd, and I'd bet the Ministry of Economy knows it is absurd. They should be ashamed.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Every single time a piracy issue comes up, we have people taking up a deontological standpoint - if it's a law, it must be followed. However, have you stopped to think and question? Are the laws outdated? What does that law serve to achieve? Does piracy actually cause any harm?

This is an important point. It is important to bear in mind that before copyright laws were ever passed, people argued and thought through whether or not it was morally and ethically right to trample on the legitimate rights of creators of original works to benefit from the original work that they create.

The original institution of copyright was created, and so the laws to enforce it were written, to work on the rule that the creator gets to dictate who may and who may not make copies of their work. However, it was developed in the aftermath of the development of movable type, and then extended to media like film, records, CDs and finally video discs.

Modern technology means that it has become possible for large numbers of people to become online thugs and trample on the legitimate rights of the creators of content. And because that thuggery results in freeloader getting to have content "for free", a side effect has been the development of piles of rationalizations for that thuggery, as to why those who did not do the work "ought to have" the right to exploit those who did do the work.

In the end, its about power. Its like a city where institutions of law and order have broken down, where the question of whether a young man who owns a baseball bat mugs an old lady is about whether they choose to assault the old lady, and not about whether they fear punishment as a result of doing so.
Adv193

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Part of the issue in this debate is the lack of legal alternatives and unless if solutions aren't made then piracy will not shrink. At the very least I like watching anime legally on Hulu, and I put up with the Ads because a. It is a small price to pay b. They are not as hard to deal with compared to real commercial c. I show my devotion that I do not pirate what is available legally and would like to show support in legal streams as an alternative to pirating.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
the main question though is why are they focusing on china when the cost of piracy is more in the old USA? if i was them, i would focus more on the western sites since, especially some fansub sites.

However there is another problem. while its good their doing something about it, unfortunately they never said anything about curbing piracy when it comes to 18+ OVAs like some of those lilith / Pixy titles and many others. Cause if fansubbers and illegal streamers cant do their stuff with the non ero series, then they would just move on with the ero series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
phifedawg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
we're still looking at a total market for anime and manga in the US that is about a fifth the alleged costs from piracy.

I don't think this is unreasonable at all. Episodes of popular anime do numbers in the hundreds of thousands on torrent sites, plus all the people streaming, you can probably double that easily. I don't know any numbers for scanlations but I imagine its incredibly high compared to book sales.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
However there is another problem. while its good their doing something about it, unfortunately they never said anything about curbing piracy when it comes to 18+ OVAs like some of those lilith / Pixy titles and many others. Cause if fansubbers and illegal streamers can't do their stuff with the non ero series, then they would just move on with the ero series.
Actually, if there's one area of anime industry that's been slappy-happy with takedown notices against subbers and sites, it's the hentai producers.
Well, has it worked? You be the judge of that...

@phifedawg
But do all those numbers translate to paying customers even if there were no piracy? And 'hundreds of thousands' is a bit of an exaggeration. One or two movies might get that of a high number, and even then I'm somewhat sceptical...
Also, if you look at the piracy of western shows, and even of western comics, I think you'd find the ratio between revenue and download numbers quite similar. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the anime camp left the western side in shame...
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
we're still looking at a total market for anime and manga in the US that is about a fifth the alleged costs from piracy.

I don't think this is unreasonable at all. Episodes of popular anime do numbers in the hundreds of thousands on torrent sites, plus all the people streaming, you can probably double that easily. I don't know any numbers for scanlations but I imagine its incredibly high compared to book sales.

You do realize that fansubbers and illegal website operators serve a worldwide audience, right? With legal streaming much more the norm in North America, a lot of those people downloading torrents live in other countries where anime is legally much less available. (There's a comment from someone in one of those countries above.)

And even if there are hundreds of thousands of downloads of an episode of some show, what proportion of those people would be prepared to spend money to watch if that were the only choice? My guess is, for most popular shows, the figure has to be ten percent or perhaps even less. Remember we are trying to estimate the actual economic costs; pirates who wouldn't watch a show if it is not free don't cost the producers anything. To imagine that all or most of those hundreds of thousands of downloads constitutes a lost sale is a fallacy.

Blanchimont wrote:
And 'hundreds of thousands' is a bit of an exaggeration.

No, popular shows often exceed 100,000 downloads per episode. I just checked Kill la Kill, and it broke that ceiling. Shingeki no Kyoujin did as well. Even a show like Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is running about 50,000 downloads per episode. "Hundreds of thousands" might be an overstatement, but the volume of torrenting is still quite substantial.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
what proportion of those people would be prepared to spend money to watch if that were the only choice?

I don't know but I think it would make a huge difference, just based off the fact that piracy is so prevalent in anime fandom, I see it everywhere (except ANN and CR forums). Go post an anti-piracy comment on the Manga subreddit and see how many downvotes you get. For most people its the default way to get stuff. This is the problem.

yuna49 wrote:
pirates who wouldn't watch a show if it is not free don't cost the producers anything

Theres still advertising revenue to be made. It could be going to a site like Daisuki instead of some illegal streaming site. For manga its a bit more difficult.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Yeah good luck with this....

Get rid of one site and more emerges to take its place.

which is why the us should have passed sopa and pipa which would have helped with the online piracy.but the big thing that will help is making acquiring licensing rights more cheaper and easier. also companies like nintendo will have to release pokemon eps with official subs and also have the english dub that's using the original japaneese scripts. otherwise that anime series will always be prone to fansubbing groups. the same with other popular anime series in japan that never got released in the US.

Sopa and pipa were definitely not solving an online piracy problem. Just wanted to make sure we're clear there. They were called solutions, but if you really examine them, its less and less clear how they help at all.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
As much as they want to try, I don't see this going to be a win in their favor at all. It's already bad enough that the list of sites is already out so what's not stopping those sites from changing their domain or backing up their database only to comply with the demand and then reopen as another site behind their back. Pretty stupid on Japan's part on this one.

I don't blame them for trying to do this but I can't honestly can't see them getting anywhere with this.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
First see then believing how far this goes ?
If they really going to force this through Japan has to change as well !!! first make anime and manga at least on the internet legal available to everyone, it is just utterly stupid that many modern European country's you don't even have anything in this day and age Rolling Eyes

Once they have come with a solution to this there is still the problem with money involved how much are you going to ask for offering it legal ? or have huge advertisment that could make it almost free.
Cause many people still aren't going to pay for it anyway ....

And that video that showed a person buying a Japanese dvd !!! you know how expensive they are !!! that system must also change in order to make a bigger profit by just having more unit's sold instead.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
And that video that showed a person buying a Japanese dvd !!! you know how expensive they are !!! that system must also change in order to make a bigger profit by just having more unit's sold instead.
First off, home media are just plain expensive in Japan. Second, otaku are weird. Let me say that again: otaku are weird. The vast majority of Japanese have no interest in the vast majority of the works targeted at these people, leaving you with a much smaller market for most works, works that wouldn't be possible without being able to rely on fans paying high prices. Low price and high volume just doesn't work for these shows.
agila61 wrote:
Modern technology means that it has become possible for large numbers of people to become online thugs and trample on the legitimate rights of the creators of content. And because that thuggery results in freeloader getting to have content "for free", a side effect has been the development of piles of rationalizations for that thuggery, as to why those who did not do the work "ought to have" the right to exploit those who did do the work.
Copying is copying, theft is theft, mugging is mugging. This isn't so much rationalization of behavior as the rationalization of thought, ie, attacking the conflation of malum prohibitum with mala in se, wholly independent of how you feel about an author being paid for their works.

EDIT: I should add that this issue's already been put to trial in the US in DOWLING v. UNITED STATES. Supreme Court's ruling: generic theft statutes don't apply to copyright infringement.
Quote:
It follows that interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The Copyright Act even employs a separate term of art to define one who misappropriates a copyright: "`Anyone who violates any of the exclusive rights of the copyright owner,' that is, anyone who trespasses into his exclusive domain by using or authorizing the use of the copyrighted work in one of the five ways set forth in the statute, `is an infringer of the copyright.' [17 U.S.C.] 501(a)." Sony Corp., supra, at 433. There is no dispute in this case that Dowling's unauthorized inclusion on his bootleg albums of performances of copyrighted compositions constituted infringement of those copyrights. It is less clear, however, that the taking that occurs when an infringer arrogates the use of another's protected work comfortably fits the terms associated with physical removal employed by 2314. The infringer invades a statutorily defined province guaranteed to the copyright holder alone. But he does not assume physical control over the copyright; nor does he wholly deprive its owner of its use. While one may colloquially link infringement with some general notion of wrongful [473 U.S. 207, 218] appropriation, infringement plainly implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud. As a result, it fits but awkwardly with the language Congress chose - "stolen, converted or taken by fraud" - to describe the sorts of goods whose interstate shipment 2314 makes criminal. 8 "And, when interpreting a criminal statute that does not explicitly reach the conduct in question, we are reluctant to base an expansive reading on inferences drawn from subjective and variable `understandings.'" Williams v. United States, 458 U.S., at 286 .

Last edited by Polycell on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
dudebro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
Here's something from Google Trends:

If you Google anime watch, Hulu and Crunchyroll don't show up until the middle of the second page. It would likely make a big difference if they had a much higher search ranking. People who watch streams are unlikely to care whether it's legal or not as long as it Just Works™ (though I think free members on Crunchy can't stream the latest episode immediately).

People who are savvy and discriminating enough to use torrents are more likely to be hardcore fans who purchase BDs and figures. If you could flip a switch and make all those torrents disappear, you'd probably lose rather than gain revenue. That said, I think HorribleSubs is almost always the most popular choice on the torrent site that starts with the letter N, so what is making these people torrent rather than stream the content? Maybe, like Gabe Newell said, it's a service problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14