• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Frustrating Anime Cliffhangers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I have seen all but one of the other ones and can't argue against the inclusion of any of them, though there were many other good options, too. (The Twelve Kingdoms most immediately springs to mind, especially for the part of the story involving Taiki.)

Which brings to mind anther one...

Second. Season. Of. Saiunkoku. OMG. *bangs head against the wall*
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely agree on Berserk and Claymore considering how close they were and the fact that they were good stories. I remember Berserk when it was on Japanese store shelves. It took me practically 3 years before I finally finished the anime series. In other words I went away from it then decided to just watch it one day. The whole spoiler["blood feast", the sacrifice of all the members of the 'Band of the Hawk', plus the rape of Caska by Griffith] just blew your mind leaving you scratching your head saying WTF as there was no follow-up episode not even a episode to end it out. But then again the beginning starts how the manga does sans certain intergral characters who ONLY show up in the manga. Then there was the whole issue with Miura not wanting a sequel (provided that statement was true and not something from the rumor mill). If they had ended it with the spoiler[rescue of the Skull Knight] then folks could have rested easy. But now we got 3 movies that really don't add anything to the story accept look slick an d concentrate on pieces that probably not touched upon in the manga. And for years folks have been clamoring for a proper sequel. Well, don't see that happening especially when Miura has stated that he wants to try and extend the story to the level of Guin Saga. Doesn't mean he will but he's stated this in a interview as he admired Kaoru Kurimoto's work. But I was impressed that the anime was close enough to the manga with some exceptions.

Claymore, while I remember it started out slow it really picked up steam. Folks liked it read it. Some called it the Berserk of manga but with girls. It was kind of surprising how similar Miura and Yagi's work were. But Yagi's line work is very different from Miura. But there is a quality that makes appear similar even though they're very different in style. And then an anime was made and while they were close in the source material it wasn't close enough. And then it had to just end with no closure. I watched it enjoyed it and later read the manga and say how much stuff was altered and then they just dropped the ball. Because the book wasn't done.

But yep, you just wonder. I hate when they do this especially since it's probably to push the product. I'm surprised that AoT isn't on this list. Considering what the last ep revealed is where vol. 8 continues. I was surprised they didn't change that considering no one was sure if a 2nd season would be done. I could also say the similar to Corpse Princess, as I've never read the manga so I'm almost sure that the anime (which I have seen and own) had to come up with a whole different ending entirely. But I'll have to judge that for myself.
niastyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
This is my list of the biggest cliff hanger anime.

Nana- This is number one on my list because it was an all around cliff hanger. Not only is the anime incomplete, but so is the manga. And the story teases you by showing you snippets of the ending, but you never find out how it got there. By showing snippets of the future, you end up with even more questions. Sooo painful.

Twelve Kingdoms

JHis and Her Circumstances - yes the story continues in the manga, but it would have been nice to see the anime take the story a little further.

Skip Beat- this anime didn't so much end and it just stopped. It just cut off mid story. So unbelievably frustrating.

My Little Monster- What happened here? Once again the anime ends, but your left with more questions than answers. I keep hoping for a second season to wrap things up. I am dying to find out the whole story about the history of Haru and his brother.

Chihayafuru- I can only wish for a 3rd season to finish up the story and have Chihaya become queen, and most likely Arata become King. Plus we have to find out if Chihaya chooses Arata or Taichi. Have to complete the love story.

Then you have the anime series that weren't completed in the US. Where only a part of it was licensed.

Kodocha - And they even had the nerve to end the last episode with previews for the next one. I wanted to see Akito and Sana in middle school.

The Story of Saiunkoku - I was soooo looking forward to the next season. But no such luck.

Prince of Tennis - And I was so into it to. What a shame.
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Pretty please more Gantz and Claymore anime. I'm not a big Manga collector, but those two forced me to dig in. The one I really wish they would make into an anime would be Biomega. Pretty please with sugar on top on that title!
Deedlet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I agree with a lot of what has been said, especially the ending of original Berserk. I went and read the manga, but it wasn't the same for me..
The manga is still not even finished as far as I know.

Same with Claymore... the anime ending was just blah...

I remember the ending of Inuyasha (the first series before final act) really pissed me off. After 167 episodes, I was like ok.. so it just got good and .... it's finished.

I'm glad they finally finished it, but took long enough...

Twelve Kingdoms was another one for sure...

niastyle wrote:

The Story of Saiunkoku - I was soooo looking forward to the next season. But no such luck.

I didn't think anyone was gonna mention this one. But yes The Story of Saiunkoku ended too soon as well. I went to check and see if there is any manga, but it's based on graphic novels that aren't officially translated yet and the manga is far behind the novels. So that sucked big time..

I agree with those have said that stories that don't have proper endings should just not be made into anime. It's just a big waste of time.... at least that's my opinion of it, and I know most people think otherwise.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes anime is based off of video games as well. Personally the anime I would love for them to continue and finish is Star Ocean EX. I also would like them to go ahead and finish Xenosaga, though actually teling the story in the anime for the 2nd and 3rd games. Then we have anime where a story gets completely altered because they catch up t the manga. Does the original Fullmetal Alchemist ring any bells there? Having not seen most of the animes you mention here, I would have to list this ones.

7) Final Fantasy: Unlimited
6) Bleach
5) Kuroko's Basketball
4) Whistle!
3) Eyeshield 21
2) Prince of Tennis
1) HunterxHunter (They did come back and do a 2011 series, but is going to leave off with the story being incomplete since they are just restarting the manga)

Honorable mentions:
Beet the Vandel Buster (manga stopped without the story being finished)

Star Ocean EX (first half of video game done as anime, second half not)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
Sometimes anime is based off of video games as well. Personally the anime I would love for them to continue and finish is Star Ocean EX.

I'm rather glad they didn't (I know they finished it off in the form of drama CDs, but that's really no concern of mine). I've had the entire DVD set for years and it is a terrible adaptation of Second Story. I watched it all the way through thinking it was going to actually shape up, but it was ultimately a gigantic disappointment. The stupidest part of all was in the final episode where spoiler[the Ten Wise Men declared Rena to be a priestess of Nede and that her power was necessary for their plan. This was not in the game's canon at all. Rena was never a priestess of any kind and she wasn't a crucial element to Indalecio's scheme at all.]

Then again, this is the kind of poorly written crap I'd always come to expect when it came to anime adaptations of video games back then. Wild Arms TV was even worse and had virtually no respect for the games' content whatsoever. It just did its own thing and not one single episode could be taken seriously.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Seriously? That was your take away from the end of Cowboy Bebop, that Spike's fate was undecided?

Look, I know that Watanabe was coy about it in an interview, but come on. We all know what happened. That star was his. Must everything be spelled out?

Can it be Vicious'?

Rederoin wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

That seems like a really ass-backwards way of looking at an adaptation, though. Like when Hollywood decides to make a film adaptation of a certain comic or book series or TV show or what have you, it isn't meant simply as a way to sell more of that original source material (though that's usually a side effect)...it's so that said adaptation can make money in its own right. And I know circumstances are different in Japan, what with the same production companies overseeing all aspects of a franchise's marketing, and the financials of late-night broadcasts, and what have you, but having an anime series serve as nothing more than a glorified commercial for some other product is extremely creatively-bankrupt, not to mention rather short-sighted in terms of generating additional revenue streams. I'm not interested in manga, and most novel sources are nigh-impossible to find in translated form, so I want the adaptations I watch to be able to stand on their own two feet, even if they don't adapt every part of the original work. At least come up with something resembling a coherent ending.

Only the most popular manga/LN would get adaptation if that happend.

Not necessarily. An obscure source can be an inspiration for an adaptation which then becomes popular and self-sustaining. Heck, how many people have heard of A Song of Ice and Fire before Game of Thrones? Many people still don't. And now we have Edge of Tomorrow coming out and likely successful when most of us here aren't even familiar with All You Need is Kill.

Rederoin wrote:

Say goodbye to most tv anime series, because they simply won't be worth the risk. We would go back to the amount of tv shows the '80s got per year, instead of 150+ we are getting now.

The other ways to monetize IP are in addition to current ways, not replacement of. (And it's more useful to look at things in # of eps rather than # of titles, since 26+ eps was the norm in older days while most titles these days are short one-offs.)

But first, Japan's cable/satellite networks are still dwarfed by their broadcast channels. Look at the TV ratings. It's difficult for a Japanese cable channel to garner enough viewers late nights like Adult Swim. It's hard to garner enough subscribers to become like HBO. They don't even have a Netflix or Amazon video service that could produce their own online-only series. N. America has enough business to support a thousand channels, including specific channels like cartoons channels, drama channels, sports channels, game show channels, and for a time, anime channels. Japan's cable/satellite still has room to grow, but imagine the possibilities.
BooktapC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I loved Claymore I did but the ending was one of the worst concluding things ever.

So was Highschool of the Dead, Darker Than Black,Shikabane Hime, and Berserk anime films. I still love all of them since over my years of watching anime they were under my favorites list.

I have to agree with some of the comments. Valvrave the Liberator, Kaze No Stigma, and Gatchaman Crowds had some noticeable cliffhangers.
These series are also my favorites strangely enough.

Shikabane Hime probably wont be revisited. Gatchaman Crowds is getting a Second Season though! Valvrave the Liberator pretty sure not even though would like a few things explained. Kaze No Stigma though is a different matter.
Gatchaman Crowds again though is still going to continue so that's good.

Last edited by BooktapC on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:

1) HunterxHunter (They did come back and do a 2011 series, but is going to leave off with the story being incomplete since they are just restarting the manga)

I wouldn't expect a long running anime like HunterXHunter to do the entire manga, although I wouldn't want it left off in the middle of a story arc. There is a good chance though that he'll never find his father which is what the story started with. But it is looking as if the anime series could end with the end of this current Ant King arc.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
HxH is supposed to continue to the end of the Election Arc, from what I've heard, which is a shortish arc that follows the current one.
angelbear369

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The ending to demon detective neuro nougami frustrated me because they resolved everything just to throw in a cliff hanger. Alright here is the ending[/spoiler]Yako goes to south america to save her mom. While there she finds out that Sai killed her father. A portal to hell opens up and Neuro, a demon flies into it disapearing. Later on in the episode Yako, the main character comments the next morning sai dissapeared. It then goes to her opening the door to the office.[/spoiler] This is where it got frustrating. everything has been resolved the demon is back in hell, Yako's mom is back in Japan and she has solved her father's murder. spoiler[After she opens the office door it cuts to a scene of her packing while telling the assistant, Goudai, goodbye. After he leaves while she is packing a guy comes running in and screaming about being killed. She tries to tell him there out of business but before she does another guy comes in and pulls the first guy out. Yako then follows them to the door, looks around the corner and says "What was that?" The audience then hears the voice of Neuro say, "The smell of a mystery... " Yako turns around and there he is. He says ,"Yako we're chasing the ultimate mystery."] Then the end credits appears.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9