• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Space Adventure Cobra Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Key: Well, for example, that scene where Ahnie is trying to escape an underground burrowing machine? Was an episode in Cobra. Cool

What episode? That must be beyond this set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Key: I saw it on the second collection.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm reading the summary of 'Wholesale, and other than the initial similar beginnings, it seems to go in a different direction than Cobra.

Sure, but that doesn't change that Buichi Terasawa was probably thinking about Dick's story when he started writing Cobra [along with the Star Wars and James Bond movies]. Which is fine, I wish more anime/manga writers would swipe liberally from Dick's stories.
uguu

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
"Art and animation: B, even though I had absolutely nothing bad to say about them beyond the extremely vague comment that 'it's not a masterpiece', and even pointed out that that Cobra's animation is particularly expressive, and that the action animation takes less shortcuts than a lot of modern shows."

The last part is particularly noteworthy given this is a traditionally-animated, long running TV anime.

No mention of Dezaki being the director and the stylistic elements that come with it either even though he's probably the most influential anime director of all time.
Bingal wrote:
My biggest guilty please.
Yes, it's sexist and chauvinistic, the main character is a big Gary Stu and the entire thing is littered with silly plot contrivances. But I love it so damn much. There's something extremely charming about this pulpy goodness.

"Guilty pleasure" is mostly a silly term. Unless you actually enjoy it FOR the more douchy elements as opposed to in SPITE of them, I dunno why it's remotely relevant here.

I do think it's a flaw that the female characters can come across as so empty even when a good chunk of a story arc focuses on one of them (when Crystal Boy killed whatshername and there was an entire flashback of all the 'good times' she and Cobra had, I pretty much felt nothing) and that the manga writer thought making them hot was enough characterization, but I don't enjoy that flaw - I enjoy the show because it's extremely well-directed, very appealingly drawn and well-animated and has a great sense of fun.

This is a show directed by Osamu Dezaki; the execution alone should make the 'guilty pleasure' tag obsolete.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
For Transformers fan (The original 1980s US version), Michael Bell (voice of characters like Sideswipe and Prowl) was the dub voice of this Cobra while Dan "Byakuya Kuchiki" Woren was Cobra in the US dub of the Cobra movie.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Space Pirate Cobra is a manly show in the truest sense of the word, hence a show that is not suited for today's anime fans. Laughing

Cobra is s show where men were real men, and women were real women (and looked like women not pedo-girls).
None of this emo crap that infests 99.99% of modern anime.

In other terms it's an anime of a bygone era, the same era that Fist of the North Star belongs to.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Plus, his previous work, Robocop, was already being compared to another anime, 8-Man.

I remember an interview with him in which he notes the influence of 8-Man.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:

That was almost certainly inspired by Philip K Dick's We Can Remember It for You Wholesale [later adapted as Total Recall], which had a very similar setup.

Most likely so. The earliest Japanese translation of Dick's story that I have been able to verify came out years after the Cobra manga was done. Likely Terasawa head about the story somehow and went with the idea, or there was a Japanese translation in a magazine have not been able to verify.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Should I ever watch this Cobra series, the thing that would stand out for me is that his voice actor for the Winter 2010 Cobra show also does Madara Uchiha. With that, I shouldn't picture Cobra without picturing Madara at least once because I consider Madara to be among the scummiest anime/manga villains I've ever encountered.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Gilles: Terasawa seems like a guy who's done a lot of traveling. So if 'Wholesale wasn't in Japanese at the time, I could buy him being fluent in English and reading the story.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Should I ever watch this Cobra series, the thing that would stand out for me is that his voice actor for the Winter 2010 Cobra show also does Madara Uchiha.

Naoya Uchida only did the voice of Cobra in the 2010 series, before that it was Nachi Nozawa who voiced Cobra [except for the '82 movie].
Kenshiroh

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
For Transformers fan (The original 1980s US version), Michael Bell (voice of characters like Sideswipe and Prowl) was the dub voice of this Cobra while Dan "Byakuya Kuchiki" Woren was Cobra in the US dub of the Cobra movie.

And for the GoBots fan, the Super Gobot Psycho turns into Cobra's car. There's even a little Cobra in the driver's seat, with his android partner next to him.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Also, I can't believe how many video games ripped off Cobra, with Mega Man being the most obvious. Also, that dickhead Matthew Sweet should be paying Terasawa, Shueisha, and TMS back, since that music video with footage from the movie is one of the only reasons behind his 15 minutes of fame. [Well, that and his Lum vid.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2