• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Penguindrum Voice Actor Illich Guardiola Arrested in Texas

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
BrandonL337 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I don't really know what the punishment should be, if any. Sounds like good case for proving why age of consent should be governed by the federal government rather than a state by state thing.

Hell no.

The only time that the federal government is supposed to force the states to all subscribe to a single notion is when it strengthens the nation; the US consists of 50 countries that voluntarily submitted to the (supposed to be) light yolk of a central government solely for their betterment. Enforcing a nationwide age of consent is pointless overreach that no state signed on for.

...this thread has caused the song To Sir, with Love to get stuck in my head. That, and select scenes from GTO.

umm, no, that's not how it works, we tried that already with the articles of confederation and it was a disaster.

The disaster of the Articles of Confederation brought the states to unite under the banner of a federal government as I described it (ie:what you've gone back and bolded lol).

You're right, that's not how it works. But that's how it is supposed to work. Constitution, 10th Amendment, all that fun stuff that has been massively eroded between its inception and today. Crying or Very sad

A federal government designed to be powerful that it could regulate the age of consent is not one that the states would have consented to.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
VORTIA, what's your take on the Texas law that prohibits teacher-student relationships at any age?

I'd say it's worth prohibiting as a violation of the public trust placed in an educator. Regardless of how things play out with this current case, I sincerely hope Mr. Guardiola is never allowed to work in education again.

Of course, in terms of prosecution of the law, there's that same marriage restriction carved into it, which I have similar feelings about that I do for the general statutory rape law.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:34 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
I just saw the news about this today, and my first thought was "Whoa! he finally got caught?" and my second thought was "What sort of nonsense are the ANN forums generating about this?" ANN forums do not fail to deliver.

Thanks for this. I didn't want to say anything for fear of being called cynical or judging someone without knowing them, but there was a professor at one of my colleges in a "relationship" with one of his students. It wasn't the first, because it almost never is. I'm not going to say it's outside the realm of impossibility that a teacher actually might legitimately fall for a student (especially if said teacher is young themselves), but there are a depressingly sizable number of people for whom the power disparity is part of the turn-on.* You're her teacher/boss/minister, you can get her to do whatever you want. And yes, sometimes it's female-initiated, but men are still more likely to have power in our society, and to have been raised with a massive sense of sexual entitlement.

So hearing that this isn't the first time he's had sex with a student, that this is part of a pattern? Not surprising at all. Welcome to real world, folks, it ain't always pretty.

(*People with this turn-on who are still good people will get involved with a kink community and find a willing, adult partner with a matching set of turn-ons, and they can play pretend about it. Those relationships can be perfectly functional. When it's not pretend? No.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
VORTIA, I think marriage is a reasonable exception, as I don't believe people will choose to temporarily get a marriage license with an underaged (or in Texas' case, even adult aged) pupil on a whim before having sex just to avoid prosecution in case they're caught. Getting a marriage license is thought to be an important life decision, a milestone, with long lasting ramifications. It is not meant to be taken lightly, and people are given the benefit of the doubt that they didn't choose to marry for "convenience".
Look how marriage is treated between a couple of differing nationalities, for example. In those cases, someone might be tempted to marry in order to gain the legal status of becoming a citizen, and the United States government will investigate the marriage before allowing the foreign spouse to get a Green Card. It's a rare case where the government suspects, with good reason, that people are getting married to take advantage of legal clauses, and they act accordingly.

As for Texas's teacher law--it makes sense to get rid of an upper age limit in the law even if it applies only to high school teachers because special ed kids are allowed to stay in high school through their 21st birthday if their IEP (Individualized Education Plan) indicates it.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
It makes me wonder how are the creators of Penguindrum are reacting to all this?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I doubt they know and am extremely certain they wouldn't care.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
It makes me wonder how are the creators of Penguindrum are reacting to all this?
Why would they care. They probably don't even know who he is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I'm not going to say it's outside the realm of impossibility that a teacher actually might legitimately fall for a student (especially if said teacher is young themselves), but there are a depressingly sizable number of people for whom the power disparity is part of the turn-on.* You're her teacher/boss/minister, you can get her to do whatever you want.

That's why ya hire beautiful assistants/secretaries/nurses/etc. Smile
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
This story was given the animated treatment by Taiwan-based TomoNews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMpTUptmpGQ
Perhaps thankfully, his work on anime was not mentioned.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
As much as I want to see stories of Funi/Sentai VAs being in the news more, Illich got in the news in the wrong way.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
This story was given the animated treatment by Taiwan-based TomoNews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMpTUptmpGQ

Oh yeah, at the end of that video, I remember that was even on national news! Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFWG4LJK1qE
In honor of their past appearances on The RidicuList, here's a remix of Doug Hutchison, 51, and Courtney Stodden, 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxunAzH8xI
The Donny Clay (Jason Alexander) Show stars Courtney Stodden and Doug Hutchison.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
So hearing that this isn't the first time he's had sex with a student, that this is part of a pattern? Not surprising at all. Welcome to real world, folks, it ain't always pretty.

Where did you hear this? Rumor and gossip? You realize that isn't at all factual and just because it agrees with whatever preconceived notions you have formed in your head does not make it factual.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
It appears that the law in Texas states:

If you are between 16 and 17 years old, you may apply for a marriage license only if you have written parental consent on an official form in the presence of the county clerk or if you have received an order from the Texas district court authorizing your marriage.

In Nevada it is:
If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must have one parent or legal guardian present. A notarized written permission is also acceptable. It must be written in English and needs to state the name, birth date, age of the minor child, along with the relationship of the person giving consent. The notary must note that the parent or guardian personally appeared before or was subscribed and sworn to. If you are under 16, marriage can be authorized only by court order when the request has been filed by either parent or legal guardian.

So, from what I can tell from the info provided, their marriage is legal by Nevada law, but not by Texas law, since there is no mention of a consent form being filled out in front of a county clerk. However, most states honor other states' marriages as legal, so it seems that, unless they want to open a can of worms, this marriage should be recognized by the state, since it was a legal marriage in another state.

It seems that if a couple with a similar age difference moved from another state where the marriage was conducted legally to Texas it would be recognized as legal. I guess the fact that they are from Texas in the first place is the problem?

Of course, there is also a law specifically forbidding sexual relations between teachers and students 17 and younger. That is a big problem and I am curious to see how that law and the marriage issue pan out...

Still, I think the man is an idiot and her mother is probably worse... But I don't know all of the circumstances...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
@zensunni

The marriage is not the problem, it is what came before. He got married after the police started investigating him, and supposedly the girl incriminated him during interrogation, not to mention alleged texts between the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22