• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whats better? manga then anime or vice versa?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xlll

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
The basic rule is to view the "original" first and then view the 'adaption"

Obviously that "rule" applies to being a otaku, so I've heard. With that aside, I can't quite say I'm much of a manga fan, well I have very little time to spare to read such "comics". I'm more of picture moving type of person, though I wouldn't mind grabbing a manga over a textbook any day.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
mind over matter wrote:
so far I'm not a huge manga reader, but I've looked for the manga of some of the anime series that I really liked. I usually like reading the manga after because the nature of manga can some times be hard to understand or follow (I rely a lot on hair color and voice pitch to discern similar characters, especially when they are done in the same art style). Reading the manga after gives me a new perspective and lets me relive the anime.
But I have to say, that most of the time I appreciate the drawings in manga much more than anime because the feelings of the artist are more transferred over into the reader with manga

Should change your name to matter over mind then. Reading manga definitely require more imaginations and heighten sense.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:46 am Reply with quote
Xlll wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
The basic rule is to view the "original" first and then view the 'adaption"

Obviously that "rule" applies to being a otaku, so I've heard. With that aside, I can't quite say I'm much of a manga fan, well I have very little time to spare to read such "comics". I'm more of picture moving type of person, though I wouldn't mind grabbing a manga over a textbook any day.

Why would the "rule" apply only to otaku??? There are a lot of anime that are original source like Otogi Zoshi and voice of a distance star.. You just need an open mind so that you can view both material in a sensible and reasonable manner without a prejudice towards reading.

[double post]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:50 am Reply with quote
I dont care for that rule at all. The original is irrelevant IMO. I want to see/read whichever is better. No sense is spoiling alot of the story while reading/seeing the weaker of the two. Id rather enjoy the best one first and have it be fresh when I do for maximum enjoyment value. Then, If it was good enough that I think it would be interesting to see/read the alternate version I will.
Xlll

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Why would the "rule" apply only to otaku??? There are a lot of anime that are original source like Otogi Zoshi and voice of a distance star.. You just need an open mind so that you can view both material in a sensible and reasonable manner without a prejudice towards reading

Um, if you haven't notice, I was being sarcastic from the start with the whole "rule" thing. Certainly there is no rule in watching anime or reading manga, if you believe so, then you obviously are the one who needs to be more "open minded" when watching such media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2