• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Best Dressed Female Anime Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
Key wrote:
Not surprising. The only question is: will Mephisto Pheles from Black Exorcist, with his absurd fashion sense, make that list? Wink

Don't you mean Blue Exorcist? Razz

No, no, this is the 70's blaxploitation version!
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
You could've just made a list entirely of CLAMP characters. Those ladies draw some amazing outfits. One of the main points of Cardcaptor Sakura is that Tomoyo makes all of Sakura's costumes. So does Ai Yazawa, but she's not quite as prolific as CLAMP are.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Bolaum wrote:
Key wrote:
Not surprising. The only question is: will Mephisto Pheles from Black Exorcist, with his absurd fashion sense, make that list? Wink

Don't you mean Blue Exorcist? Razz

No, no, this is the 70's blaxploitation version!

Oh, I would watch that in a heartbeat if anyone would have the guts to animate it or do it in live action. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I was happy to yuuko on here suprise they had sailed Jupiter on here but still cool
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Rachel from Red Garden is the better choice imo. She's practically the fashionista of the group anyway.

I would maybe add Marie Antoinette from Rose of Versailles, or Hitomi, Rui, and Ai from Cat's Eye.

The fashion in Sailor Moon is both nostalgic and oh-so terrible lol. Of note we can't forget Rei's dreaded pink overalls....
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
On the other hand, the men's list is next week and someone from that show has a high probability of being included Smile

Any chance for some casual wear (like on this list), or will it all be suits and ties?
SupraZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Really that Nana? I would have chosen Hachi Rolling Eyes

Last edited by SupraZ on Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I would have chosen any of the dolls from Rozen Maiden. They all wear the prettiest outfits imo.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I don't quite get the point to this List but I'd pick Hazuki and Elfriede from Moonphase over many of these picks, especially Elfriede's habit of wearing a series of decades and nations seemingly chosen at random. As for Hazuki, she's the one who best added "Elegant" to "Gothic Lolita".

Come to think on it, she can pull it off even while wearing just white which should be impossible. White on white on white...

What was the breaking point, the cat ears?

Quote:
It's the romantic notion seen in sweet lolita clothing without the creepy infantilization.

That? No, creepy is someone over 5' 7 wearing such fashions. If you're under 5' 2, you can pull it off if you put it on. Also, vampires. Also also, I should I put it? This i kind of the point when it comes to "Lolita fashion": A combination of childish and creepy. In Kobato, the character just came off as "simple" rather than innocent.

Miwako from Paradise Kiss? I'm sorry but she just can't accessorize properly. I mean, just look at her choice of arm candy!

Anyone from Sailor Moon gets an early dismissal because of the uniform. Both of them.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
On the other hand, the men's list is next week and someone from that show has a high probability of being included Smile

Any chance for some casual wear (like on this list), or will it all be suits and ties?

Definitely will have casual wear too.

To the above poster, I find gothic Lolita extremely played out and tired. Also I find height much less of a factor than actual age. But when you're short, I suppose it's easier to look like a child? Which brings the creepy infant thing back around again. (This goes both ways, sorry Ciel fans)

Someone's boyfriend has nothing to do with what they actually wear and school uniforms aren't a choice, usually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
The first thought that came into my head when seeing this list was Victorique from Gosick But then again I'm a sucker for the whole gothic lolita look...

Also, while I am following several series in JUMP currently, I'd love to see a Shokugeki no Soma adaptation the most. (You'd never guess it by my icon though Rolling Eyes ) I'd also like to see an Assassination Classroom series. But judging by how well both series are doing in JUMP, and the fact that AC already has an OVA, we can expect anime adaptions pretty soon.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
I think Kouko Kaga from Golden Time should've made the list somewhere. That girl has some impeccable modern fashion taste.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
All pretty good choices, but I think the glaring omission here has to be Haydee, the young lady traveling with the Count in Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. The gown she wore to the opera in episode 6(?) is still, to my mind, the most stunning outfit I've ever seen on an anime character. (I'll see if I can get a screen shot of it and link to it later.)

i would definitely put her on this list but there is also Yufie from code geass. she definitely should have been on this list instead of Makoto or those from numbers 6-4 who arent well known but if they wanted a SM character on that list i would have picked Michiru ( Sailor Neptune ) instead of the tomboys Makoto and Haruka.

also Nana number 1? Sure the goth look for her is ok, but i definitely wouldnt put her over Yuko. She should have gotten number 1 easy. Or as another choice Sakura ( Card Captors Sakura ) which cause of the multiple cute dresses she used ,made her everyone's favorite magical girl in the otaku community long before Madoka and Nanoha Takamachi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Marmalade Boy's characters for 90s fashion, and Fushigi Yuugi's female characters for beautiful pseudo ancient Chinese dresses.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
I vote for Kuranosuke Koibuchi (Princess Jellyfish) for the men's list next week. He has awesome taste, but in women's clothing. The clothes he chooses for the ladies in Amamizukan were great, too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3